Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

world war 1 medal.I think

Options
  • 21-06-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

hi, I was given these to sell for our local charity.But I havent a CLUE about them and I really want to do right by the charity and get a good price for them.
    Item one, is on a red, white and blkue ribbon, and has Ascended Throne 11V DEC 1936
    To commeorate the coronation of King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth at west minster Abby 1937.
    Its silver.
    The other one I think is WW1,
    It says The great WAR FOR CIVILISATION 1914-1919 , it has like an Angel on the other side with its hand stretched out.Its gold and a good bit heavier but with no ribbon.
    I TRIED PHOTOS BUT THERE NOT GREAT.
    Can anyone let me know what they are for sure, and how much I should sell them for.
    Thanks in advance,Cathy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The other one is for WW1. The WW1 one should have writing around the edge of it - if that mentions an Irish regiment it is worth more in Ireland. Can you type in what it says on the rim of the WW1 one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Only seeing that now that you mention it :}
    10178 GNR J GALLAGHER R?A
    I think, its very dirty so will give it a wash.thanks,cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

cathy01 wrote: »
    Only seeing that now that you mention it :}
    10178 GNR J GALLAGHER R?A
    I think, its very dirty so will give it a wash.thanks,cathy

NO! Do not wash off the patina! Try to take some better pictures of it/them but leave the patina. Very important if you want to sell to medal collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

You will be happy to know that he survived the war as he is not in any of the war dead databases.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

His full name was James Gallagher. Born Dublin 1875. A reservist with Antrim RGA in 1911 with a claim to have been in the army since 31/10/1895. Discharged in 1917 as he'd done his time; re-enlisted. Demobbed in 1919. Re-enlisted in the Royal Engineers. Discharged 24/9/1920.

various service numbers : 5445, 10178, 285178 in the RGA; 609389 in the RE.

Brother Christopher (7 Henrietta St, Dublin )and John (23 Commons St, Dublin) mentioned as well as father John and mother Rose Ann. He had a number of Dublin addresses 58 Queens Square, 13 Henrietta St and 3 Dorset Ave, Lower Dorset St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Just saw this post now (I am new here:D).
    I presume these are sold.... SNIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

His full name was James Gallagher. Born Dublin 1875. A reservist with Antrim RGA in 1911 with a claim to have been in the army since 31/10/1895. Discharged in 1917 as he'd done his time; re-enlisted. Demobbed in 1919. Re-enlisted in the Royal Engineers. Discharged 24/9/1920.

various service numbers : 5445, 10178, 285178 in the RGA; 609389 in the RE.

Brother Christopher (7 Henrietta St, Dublin )and John (23 Commons St, Dublin) mentioned as well as father John and mother Rose Ann. He had a number of Dublin addresses 58 Queens Square, 13 Henrietta St and 3 Dorset Ave, Lower Dorset St.

Cant believe you found all that out.Thanks so much.They where sold, I will pass the info onto the buyer.Your soooo very good.Thanks a million,Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

just followed the trail via the medal index card on Ancestry and then to the service/pension records. Very big file there for him. He seemed to be a groom in the early papers and a labourer in later ones.

Subsequently found his 1895 enlistment into the Lancers 31/10/1895 but transferred to the Royal Artillery 21/12/1895. In Gibraltar from 1/1/97 to 18/3/1902 then Malta 19/8/02 to 15/4/03. However, lists mother as Mary Gallagher of 12 St Georges Place, Dublin. John listed as elder brother.

Advertisement