Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the jack russel a regestered breed ?????

Options
  • 21-06-2010 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hey quick question wondering is the russel a reg breed , ive seen them for sale as ikg regestered , but cousin of mine thinks not ????????????????????????????????????????????????????

any help aprecatied want to settle this score :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Yes they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think someone on here said they've only recently been counted as a breed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brackenltd

morganafay wrote: »
    I think someone on here said they've only recently been counted as a breed?
    a ha i see , because he gaurnteed me they werent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If you google dogs shows in Ireland, and go through the classes, if you see JRT, then you'll know they are a recognised breed. It is only a fairly recent thing I think (well, in the last 10 years or so) but I don't know if its parson jack russells that are recognised or if they're the ones that aren't.

ISDW wrote: »
    If you google dogs shows in Ireland, and go through the classes, if you see JRT, then you'll know they are a recognised breed. It is only a fairly recent thing I think (well, in the last 10 years or so) but I don't know if its parson jack russells that are recognised or if they're the ones that aren't.

i konw wat u mean bit of a shady issue , went on to irish kennel club but couldnt find out much aparentyy they are a usless shower to deal with !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes they are and they are shown at IKC champ shows so they have to registered with the IKC to do so. Hope this helps.

There are both Parson and Jack russells that are registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Jack Russel isn't "Jack" anymore ...He's become Parson Russel Terrier, if you please :D

(at least as far as the UK standards are concerned. There's still a "Jack" Russel in Australia. Two slightly different standards, ergo two different "breeds" ...mo' money to be made :D)

peasant wrote: »
    Jack Russel isn't "Jack" anymore ...He's become Parson Russel Terrier, if you please :D

(at least as far as the UK standards are concerned. There's still a "Jack" Russel in Australia. Two slightly different standards, ergo two different "breeds" ...mo' money to be made :D)

Sorry but you are wrong, there are both Parson and Jack russell terrier, they are 2 separate breeds.

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but you are wrong, there are both Parson and Jack russell terrier, they are 2 separate breeds.

now in confused lol:D

brackenltd wrote: »
    now in confused lol:D

Trust me, they are 2 diff breeds, I am involved in showing dogs and these breeds are totally separate from each other and both are registered with the IKC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Yep this is true, the group was divided in 2.

lrushe wrote: »
    Yep this is true, the group was divided in 2.
    and whats the difference in the breeds ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 SophiaF

Not sure about in Ireland, but in the UK there are two types of JR. The old farm type, the jack russell terrier (JRT) these are not registered. Then there is the Parsons Jack Russell (PJR) that is a registered breed.
    The JRT tend to be short and stocky, often with bendy legs, the PJR are taller with very straight legs.
    Hope this helps :)

This is what the FCI says
    FCI-Standard N° 345 / 09.08.2004 / GB

JACK RUSSELL TERRIER

ORIGIN : England.

COUNTRY OF DEVELOPMENT : Australia.

BRIEF HISTORICAL SUMMARY : The Jack Russell Terrier originated in England in the 1800’s due to the efforts of the Reverend John Russell. He developed a strain of Fox Terriers to suit his needs for a dog to run with his foxhounds and go to ground to bolt the fox and other quarry from their dens. Two varieties evolved with basically similar Standards except for differences, mainly in height and proportions. The taller, more squarely built dog is now known as the Parson Russell Terrier and the shorter, slightly longer proportioned dog, is known as the Jack Russell Terrier.

FCI-Standard N° 339 / 19.05.2009 / GB

PARSON RUSSELL TERRIER

ORIGIN : Great Britain.

I believe the "Develpopment: Australia" bit ise a ruse to circumvent the FCI's own rules about having very similar dogs recognised as different breeds ...apparently it's ok when they were "developed" on a different continent.

So "Jack" Russel is an Aussie ...I guess "American Parson Russel Terrier" was just too long :D

The long and the short of it is ...it's a farce anyway

SophiaF wrote: »
    Not sure about in Ireland, but in the UK there are two types of JR. The old farm type, the jack russell terrier (JRT) these are not registered. Then there is the Parsons Jack Russell (PJR) that is a registered breed.
    The JRT tend to be short and stocky, often with bendy legs, the PJR are taller with very straight legs.
    Hope this helps :)[/QUOget u now and the jrt is more popular id imagine

Hope this helps :)
    get u now thanks , and id imagine the jrt is the more popular 1 ???

get u now and id say the jack is more common ???

now that's easy

Parson Russell

GENERAL APPEARANCE : Workmanlike, active and agile; built for speed and endurance. Overall picture of balance and flexibility. Honourable scars permissible.

IMPORTANT PORPORTIONS : Well balanced. Overall length of body slightly longer than height from withers to ground. Length from nose to stop slightly shorter than from stop to occiput.

BEHAVIOUR / TEMPERAMENT : Essentially a working terrier with ability and conformation to go to ground and run with hounds. Bold and friendly.

HEAD

CRANIAL REGION :
    Skull : Flat, moderately broad, gradually narrowing to the eyes.
    Stop : Shallow.

FACIAL REGION :
    Nose : Black.
    Jaws/Teeth : Jaws strong , muscular. Teeth with a perfect, regular and complete scissor bite, i.e. upper teeth closely overlapping the lower teeth and set square to the jaws.
    Eyes : Almond shaped, fairly deep-set, dark, keen expression.
    Ears : Small, V-shaped, dropping forward, carried close to head, tip of ear to reach corner of eye, fold not to appear above top of skull. Leather of moderate thickness.

NECK : Clean, muscular, of good length, gradually widening to shoulders.

BODY : Well balanced. Overall length slightly longer than height from withers to ground.
    Back : Strong and straight.
    Loin : Slightly arched.
    Chest : Of moderate depth, not to come below point of elbow, capable of being spanned behind the shoulders by average size hands. Ribs not over-sprung.

TAIL : Previously customarily docked.
    Docked : Length complementing the body while providing a good handhold. Strong, straight, moderately high set, carried well up on the move.
    Undocked : Of moderated length and as straight as possible, giving a general balance to the dog, thick at the root and tapering towards the end. Moderately high set, carried well up on the move.

LIMBS

FOREQUARTERS : Strong, must be straight with joints turning neither in nor out.
    Shoulders : Long and sloping, well laid back, cleanly cut at withers.
    Elbows : Close to body, working free of the sides.

HINDQUARTERS : Strong, muscular with good angulation.
    Stifle : Good bend of stifle.
    Hocks : Set low.
    Rear Pasterns : Parallel, giving plenty of drive.

FEET : Compact with firm pads, turning neither in nor out.

GAIT/MOVEMENT : Free-striding, well co-ordinated, straight action front and behind.

SKIN : Must be thick and loose.

COAT

HAIR : Naturally harsh, close and dense, whether rough or smooth. Belly and undersides coated.

COLOUR : Entirely white or predominantly white with tan, lemon or black markings, or any combination of these colours, preferably confined to head and/or root of tail.

SIZE : Dogs ideal height at withers 36 cm (14 ins).
    Bitches ideal height at withers 33 cm (13 ins).
    2 cm above or below is acceptable.

Jack Russel
    GENERAL APPEARANCE : A strong, active, lithe working Terrier of great character with flexible body of medium length. His smart movement matches his keen expression. Tail docking is optional and the coat may be smooth, rough or broken.

IMPORTANT PROPORTIONS :
    · The overall dog is longer than high.
    · The depth of the body from the withers to the brisket should equal the length of foreleg from elbows to the ground.
    · The girth behind the elbows should be about 40 to 43 cm.

BEHAVIOUR / TEMPERAMENT : A lively, alert and active Terrier with a keen, intelligent expression. Bold and fearless, friendly but quietly confident.

HEAD

CRANIAL REGION :
    Skull : The skull should be flat and of moderate width gradually decreasing in width to the eyes and tapering to a wide muzzle.
    Stop : Well defined but not over pronounced.

FACIAL REGION :
    Nose : Black.
    Muzzle : The length from the stop to the nose should be slightly shorter than from the stop to the occiput.
    Lips : Tight-fitting and pigmented black.
    Jaws/Teeth : Very strong, deep, wide and powerful. Strong teeth closing to a scissor bite.
    Eyes : Small dark and with keen expression. MUST not be prominent and eyelids should fit closely. The eyelid rims should be pigmented black. Almond shape.
    Ears : Button or dropped of good texture and great mobility.
    Cheeks : The cheek muscles should be well developed.

NECK : Strong and clean allowing head to be carried with poise.

BODY :
    General : Rectangular.
    Back : Level. The length from the withers to the root of tail slightly greater than the height from the withers to the ground.
    Loin : The loins should be short, strong and deeply muscled.
    Chest : Chest deep rather than wide, with good clearance from the ground, enabling the brisket to be located at the height mid-way between the ground and the withers. Ribs should be well sprung from the spine, flattening on the sides so that the girth behind the elbows can be spanned by two hands - about 40 cm to 43 cm.
    Sternum : Point of sternum clearly in front of the point of shoulder.

TAIL : May droop at rest. When moving should be erect and if docked the tip should be on the same level as ears.

LIMBS

FOREQUARTERS :
    Shoulders : Well sloped back and not heavily loaded with muscle.
    Upper arm : Of sufficient length and angulation to ensure elbows are set under the body.
    Forelegs : Straight in bone from the elbows to the toes whether viewed
    from the front or the side.

HINDQUARTERS : Strong and muscular, balanced in proportion to the shoulder.
    Stifles : Well angulated.
    Hock joints : Low set.
    Rear pastern(Metatarsus) : Parallel when viewed from behind while in free standing position.

FEET : Round, hard, padded, not large, toes moderately arched, turned neither in nor out.

GAIT / MOVEMENT : True, free and springy.

COAT

HAIR : May be smooth, broken or rough. Must be weatherproof. Coats should not be altered (stripped out) to appear smooth or broken.

COLOUR : White MUST predominate with black and/or tan markings. The tan markings can be from the lightest tan to the richest tan (chestnut).

SIZE AND WEIGHT :
    Ideal Height : 25 cm (10 ins) to 30 cm (12 ins).
    Weight : Being the equivalent of 1 kg to each 5 cm in height, i.e. a 25 cm high dog should weigh approximately 5 kg and a 30 cm high dog should weigh 6 kg.

See ...clear difference there :D

Mostly political :)
    Parson's would be a slightly taller, leggier dog, Jack Russell would be more like the one's most of us are used to seeing ie. small, stocky dogs with a broad head and shorter legs. Jack Russells would be the 'European' version, of course the Americans come along and decided to make some slight changes and label it as a Parsons Jack Russell but after some fighting over the name shortened it to Parsons Russell Terrier!!!

If you came along to a dog show and saw these 2 breeds side by side theres quite a difference and they can be easily told apart.

• Advertisement

cheers guys just wanted to settle a point :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think . . . the Parson Russell is the dog from Frasier and the Jack Russell is the JRT that most people have with short legs.

i guess the JRT is more popular still, but the PJR is getting more popular with town people. The PJR is thought by some to be prettier and more of a pet.
    The JRT isn't registered because it is apparently too varied as a breed to have a standard to follow, so they come in all shapes and sizes, I would say that makes them more popular on the whole.

The JRT isn't registered because it is apparently too varied as a breed to have a standard to follow,

JRT's are registered and recognised by the IKC.

i guess the JRT is more popular still, but the PJR is getting more popular with town people. The PJR is thought by some to be prettier and more of a pet.
    The JRT isn't registered because it is apparently too varied as a breed to have a standard to follow, so they come in all shapes and sizes, I would say that makes them more popular on the whole.

SophiaF, your information is wrong so please dont post information if you arent informed properly, Jack Russells are registered and recognised, trust me, i know. I am involved in showing dogs and Jack russells are registered with the IKC!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

THe question has been answerd already but just look at the IKC website, they've contact details for the Jack Russell Terrier Club of Ireland and the Parson Russell Terrier Club of Ireland and the FCI website also has the 2 breeds on it with their associated standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Perhaps some of the confusion comes from all those people out there who call their dogs JRTs when they're really just terrier crosses (of many varieties!)?
    Breeders often sell terrier cross dogs as JRTs as well, and they often bear little to no resemblance to the breed standard.

SophiaF, your information is wrong so please dont post information if you arent informed properly, Jack Russells are registered and recognised, trust me, i know. I am involved in showing dogs and Jack russells are registered with the IKC!!!
    and also to
    Irushe 'JRT's are registered and recognised by the IKC'

I am sorry for any confusion but if you had read my earlier posts you would have read 'Not sure about in Ireland, but in the UK there are two types of JR.'
    So i'm afraid , Andreac, my information is correct, you just missed some of it out and got the wrong end of the stick. I didn't mean to miss lead anyone, and I am sorry if I did. I thought this was a nice place were people helped others out, not a place for giving out when you haven't read all of the relavent information.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I am sorry for any confusion but if you had read my earlier posts you would have read 'Not sure about in Ireland, but in the UK there are two types of JR.'

Just had a look at the KC website and you appear to be right about the JRT not being recognised in the UK, strange though considering it is here...

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/breeds/Default.aspx
    The JRT isn't on this list but the Parson is. Also, under the PRT it says
    Parson Russell Terrier
    3175.jpg

These look quite different to a JRT IMO

FOR MANY YEARS, GREAT CONTROVERSY has existed in the ranks of the terrier fanciers over a type of terrier called somewhat vaguely ‘the Jack Russell’. The Kennel Club became involved in this affair as a result of applications from a considerable number of devotees of a strain of Fox Terrier bred by a Victorian hunting parson, the Revd John Russell.

• Advertisement

and also to
    Irushe 'JRT's are registered and recognised by the IKC'

So i'm afraid , Andreac, my information is correct, you just missed some of it out and got the wrong end of the stick. I didn't mean to miss lead anyone, and I am sorry if I did. I thought this was a nice place were people helped others out, not a place for giving out when you haven't read all of the relavent information.

Sorry, but the person was asking if they are registered here in Ireland and not the UK and they could have taken up your answer to mean Ireland. They asked were they IKC registered which is Ireland, so just didnt want the OP getting confused as they hadnt asked about the UK.

Advertisement