Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

car breaking down!

• 21-06-2010 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Have an issue with a car. Been told my catalytic converter is going to go soon in my car. Not sure if the issue is related but I have a few issues with my car

One is it breaks down often and it's getting more frequent. if I use a jumper pack it eventually starts! It cut out twice at lights in the past week, though most times it simply wont start! I also noticed there is some excess acid on the battery.

Kinda looks like this. Probably the same amount! (not my pic)

coroded_battery.jpg

Would I need to get a new battery? Could that be the cause of the car not starting?

It's a 99 opel corsa btw!

To be honest I feel like getting a new car so really dont want to pump money into it. Any suggestions? Could the battery be easily cleaned?

I would just like something to get me by for now until I see if I can get a new car soon :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Pour boiling water over the crud to remove to remove it, your local motor factor will be able to check your battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

After you pour the boiling water over it and remove the crud, if the terminals are ok, take them off a give the battery terminals and the cable connectors a coating of petroleum jelly ( vaseline) and that will stop the build up of crud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

thanks guys. Will try that first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

thanks guys. Will try that first :)

Your username answered your question!!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

TBH, i'd just replace that battery - they're not too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

Get an exhaust back pressure test done on the cat, if the cat is starting to break up it may block the exhaust , causing it to cut out and be hard started.

Advertisement