Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

undergrad results

Options
  • 21-06-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

hey, just want to get some thoughts on this.

How much do your undergrad results count towards getting a postgrad placement. Im not talking about your final degree results but your results from earlier years.

I ask because im looking into doing a masters but for personal reasons, which I won’t go into, I spent allot of time out of college in 2nd and 3rd years and as a result my grads suffered but in 4th year I was able to dedicate my full time to college and managed to come out with a first degree. My overall results for each year are as follows:

1st year: 2,1
    2nd year: 2,2
    3rd year: pass
    4th year: 1,1

So my question is, will they look at my woeful results in 3rd year and black mark me or will they see the first in 4th year and give me chance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

In my experience, yes they will look back on all your grades from all your years in college. I got a 2.2 overall but failed a lot in first and second year and it is still coming back to haunt me.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

mrac wrote: »
    hey, just want to get some thoughts on this.

How much do your undergrad results count towards getting a postgrad placement. Im not talking about your final degree results but your results from earlier years.

I ask because im looking into doing a masters but for personal reasons, which I won’t go into, I spent allot of time out of college in 2nd and 3rd years and as a result my grads suffered but in 4th year I was able to dedicate my full time to college and managed to come out with a first degree. My overall results for each year are as follows:

1st year: 2,1
    2nd year: 2,2
    3rd year: pass
    4th year: 1,1

So my question is, will they look at my woeful results in 3rd year and black mark me or will they see the first in 4th year and give me chance?

In my experience all you need is a 2.1. in your final year (presuming that is the only year for your degree classification) and the money to attend and that’s it!! I’m doing a masters next year and they didn’t even ring my references! I always had a 2.1 all the way through and a got a first overall too (woohoo!), so pretty similar to yourself! Where are planning on going??

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mrac

Penisland wrote: »
    In my experience all you need is a 2.1. in your final year (presuming that is the only year for your degree classification) and the money to attend and that’s it!! I’m doing a masters next year and they didn’t even ring my references! I always had a 2.1 all the way through and a got a first overall too (woohoo!), so pretty similar to yourself! Where are planning on going??

Congrats. Yeah my degree is graded just on the final year so technically I have a 1h degree. I'm hoping to do something in the area of biochemical engineering, there isnt really much choice in Ireland for that kind of stuff though so ill be looking more towards uk unis. Anyone know how much harder (if any) it is to get into a uk masters than an irish one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It's more or less the same over there than it is here regarding getting into a masters, I applied last year to QUB for a masters and got offered 2/3 of the ones I applied for.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

For masters only your final results count. :)

For funded PhDs, all your results count, unless your supervisor has their own funding.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I can't remember if IRCSET want all 4 years or just the previous year's marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Din Taylor

I was
    1st year III (just)
    2nd year III
    3rd year I
    4th year I

Went straight to PhD. Applied for two of them (overseas) and was accepted for both - with generous grants. So earlier results didn't affect my applications at all.

My course was 50% on each of the final two years so I never even bothered doing anything (except drink a lot) before I started 3rd year.

Advertisement