Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2010 Evaluation

• 21-06-2010 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

So - a lot of people are finished at this stage, most others waiting on maybe 1 exam more...

what's been the overall feeling about the exams this year? fair.. difficult.. I'll be repeating..

We've seen the SEC trying to break the predictability trends this year especially with Boland - but at the same time any student aiming for good marks would have been perfectly covered... seems to be a trend that's been repeated throughout the exams with topics and questions being phrased differently to catch the students that learned the book off out.. while students with the more thorough knowledge still being ok to get even the harder parts out..

what's everyone else's views on it and how have people got on in general

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I still have 2 exams left. So far everythings been good, except Irish. Accounting was a nasty paper but I got the A1 I'm pretty sure. History was an A1, Maths the same, English a high B or A2 and German a B3 at least IMO beyond my highest expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Still have two tests left but overall I belief it's been really good. It is a start to putting an end to shortcutting and second guessing esp. by grind schools.

It will truly reward those who have worked hard and not those who learnt off random essays to shove into context abstractly and is the whole syllabus is being used, Though there still is a good way to go to make the tests a real challenge again what with this huge inflation in points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Delighted it's over!

Was hard work the past month. But I think I've got about 460 at least. Covering me for my course which in 435 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

It wasn't bad really to be fair. German was probably my worst exam (we're not counting pass Irish), and even that wasn't too bad. Oral and the aural will bring my result up a fair bit.

However I have Chemistry tomorrow and I'm finding it insanely hard to study for it. I think I'm burned out at this stage. The weekend didn't help either. I wish I had it after German on Friday or something really.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Maths was okay, paper 2 let me down. English may have gotten a B1, or A2, have to see. Biology hopefully an A1, Irish, was disaterous, but not counting it, French was better than expected, hopefully a B of some sort, Accounting was awful, hoping for a B now.

I still have economics and applied maths to go. Aiming for 540, and I say I am not gonna get it at this stage, but no point dwelling on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭lucybrown

Most papers were fair. Some not so fair. Perhaps that was just my lack of study though. Praying i won't have to repeat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

Much harder than expected. For me, the mocks didn't give a good idea of what was to come. For most subjects, I noticed the mock papers were taken out of past papers, which we obviously had done already in class, and therefore, we were able to answer the questions. I agree that lots of questions in the LC were very awkwardly phrased and overall it tried to put people off. A lot of people were left very disappointed at the end, realising that they hadn't got what they had aimed for. It's very hard to come out of an exam knowing you didn't get what you wanted. For me, Irish and French were the two subjects I was hoping to get an A1 in. French listening let me down hugely and I know I definately didn't get an A1, and in Irish I might just nip the A1 but I will be very lucky if I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sarahisdeadly

Disappointed.
    I dunno what it is, but I'm just finding them hard.
    Is disheartening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 clairebearxx

ok i guess..still have music left..i agree with the comment about the mocks..some of them were way 2 easy and gave a false sense of security..hopefully the marking wont b 2 bad..i wanted As in maths, accounting and biology..may have got them but its just 2 hard 2 know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mad Scone

Most of the predictions that I heard were wrong... thankfully wasn't relying on them! The SEC were really tryna prove everyone wrong there!

Overall not too bad though... say I got the A1 in English, French, Biology, Business... prob an A2 in Irish, we won't talk about Maths, an A1 in Physics, Accounting was a bit of a disaster due to hiccup on SEC's behalf but I'm prob way overreacting about how badly it went for me and hopefully marking scheme will be easy as a result so hopefully A2 or fingerscrossed for the A1... eitherway 590 (I'll resent that for life!) but hopefully 600!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Aisling x

still have economics to go, it's just impossible to say how i did...
    we'll have to wait til august!
    all i can say is thank god the leaving cert escapade is almost over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Went quite smoothly !
    SEC defo trying to break from predictions in some subjects - English and Bio, but thankfully, I didn't even learn Boland and learnt everything in Bio. OL maths P2 was sneaky too with its first principles in q7 for those who don't like it!Home ec aswell with a very odd q1a, unlike what has been coming up in recent times! I'd say I got a B of some sorts in Eng, A1 in Bio and A1 in maths and B1/A2 in H.ec.

But like with physics, I had the entire paper predicted like! The experiments that came up were the obvious ones, and I had the long Qs predicted too! Besides the particle physics Q, I thought it was gonna be alpha / beta etc... ! I'd say a A2 in physics for me or B1.... just cause I 'knew' what was coming up doesn't change the fact that its not my best subject ha!

Spanish and construction left! Lets hope spanish is a fair paper! From what I hear german was easy and French was impossible, Can we have it somewhere in the middle please!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

Mad Scone wrote: »
    Most of the predictions that I heard were wrong... thankfully wasn't relying on them! The SEC were really tryna prove everyone wrong there!

Overall not too bad though... say I got the A1 in English, French, Biology, Business... prob an A2 in Irish, we won't talk about Maths, an A1 in Physics, Accounting was a bit of a disaster due to hiccup on SEC's behalf but I'm prob way overreacting about how badly it went for me and hopefully marking scheme will be easy as a result so hopefully A2 or fingerscrossed for the A1... eitherway 590 (I'll resent that for life!) but hopefully 600!

I really don't know how you can predict what you got, I find it totally impossible to tell! And you are one lucky duck if you get 590-600... i.e. I hate you! Haha I joke. Maths is my worst too, thinking A1 in French too but as I say, it's difficult to know. What are you hoping to do in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Mad Scone wrote: »

you can resent those 10 points all the way :P i'm not one bit sorry for ya ;) i'd pass out with shock and happiness if i got 590....

and ye'd all have to come to my funeral if I get 600 so :P :P :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

Yeah, overall I feel like they've totally changed it.
    We're possibly the first year to experience this new 'UNPREDICTABLE LC'.

Which could be a good thing. They'll consider that when marking our papers, and perhaps go easier on us.

English had some odd stuff.
    Business was pretty weird.
    Biology was grand, but also a little odd.
    And Accounting was an utter shock.

Yeah, overall I feel it was a weird year, but I'd say I'll get 400+ anyway. Hopefully.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I wish people would get over Eavan Boland. My God, the SEC didn't put one poet on because everybody thought she was coming up but put 3 predicted poets on anyway - what a shock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

happy enough wit them,still have economics and chemistry,maths irish business and accounting should all be a's of some sort english hopefuly a B and french well we wont go there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bobzer77

I don't know, nothing was too bad but I doubt I'll get what I wanted seeing as the only study I've done has been in the last 3 weeks, and even then it wasn't that much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I couldn't say how I've done and certainly don't want to try and predict it as we've all seen how badly they can go haha. I just hope my hard work wasn't wasted :)

Only chemistry left and if I fail it, i'm not going to let it get me down. I'm unprepared and I left it until last thinking I could catch up and I didn't. Probably won't even count it but a D3 would be nice haha.
    I think we had a little bit of a shake up this year in every subject to some people's advantage and disadvantage. Loads of people who banked only on certain things got caught out horribly this year though and you can't not pity them at the same time as saying 'they had it coming'.
    I'm just grateful it's coming to the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Unpredictable? The Leaving Cert was very predicatable in every subject I did, but accounting. Irish, I had an essay learned off about the EU.
    For English every other predicted poet but Boland came up. For Biology my teacher had predicted every last aspect of the exam. For Business(usually unpredictable) my teacher had a fair chunk of it predicted. And for Geography, it was much the same, maybe 2 unexpected parts in questions but that was it.

However the exams were more difficult than last year, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

They are definatley trying to get rid of predicting, but they should know we're all too lazy to actually learn everything were supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

they should know we're all too lazy to actually learn everything were supposed to.

I second that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

I really thought because I literally worked my ass off this year that it would have gone better but, unfortunately, it didn't!:(
    Oh well I gave it my best shot this year and re-repeating is not an option so whatever happens happens. I think bio and french are scrapped passes (if that!), I don't think I got my B in english or business. Might have got a C in history and still have economics to go!
    After a year of high stress, freak outs and sacrifices...I'm just glad to see the back of it all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

The worst part was the massive gap between Bio on Thursday abnd chem today (tuesday). Watching everyone go out is painful!

Overall, I think the run up was more stressful than anything, to me it just felt like the normal summer tests. The nights between, say, maths and irish paper 2 was dreadful. Plenty of tears!!

5pm this evening....toodaloo second level education forever! :D

Also, they were pr!cks with predictions this year...did the opposite of what was expected. But sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IronGirl92

I think I'll be repeating :rolleyes: Ah well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 LouiseZ

It was OK I guess, could've went better but could've went worse.
    I was really happy with German, possibly the nicest paper there has been over the last 10-15 years, so hopefully that will bring me up in the pionts stakes.
    Although my lack of study and love for facebook is going to show somewhere in my results..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Cian92 wrote: »
    Unpredictable? The Leaving Cert was very predicatable in every subject I did, but accounting.

I thought accounting was fairly predictable this year though, to me the only unpredictable thing was the section 3 Q9 (Who cares about Q8 eh?. =P)

It was clear, to me anyhow that they we're going to put on company, and in section 2 it was bound to be Club OR Service Firm.. they're both so similar if you didn't know both then that's your own fault really?

Interpetation was up as usual, and the Correction of Errors was predictable too?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I thought accounting was fairly predictable this year though, to me the only unpredictable thing was the section 3 Q9 (Who cares about Q8 eh?. =P)

It was clear, to me anyhow that they we're going to put on company, and in section 2 it was bound to be Club OR Service Firm.. they're both so similar if you didn't know both then that's your own fault really?

Interpetation was up as usual, and the Correction of Errors was predictable too?

:)
    It wasn't company. It was Sole Trader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

Finally finished today and overall this Leaving Cert lark isn't half as tough as it's made out to be!

English-So happy with this probably the two best English test I have ever done really hopeful of a B1

Maths-Paper 1 was unbelievably easy and I definitely got over 90% in it, however my school was part of the project maths trial so we faced paper 2 with only 2 bloody sample papers found it quite tough-although our teacher believes that we will 'looked after' in the marking scheme-hopeful of an A2 or possibly an A1 depending on how easy paper 2 is marked

Geography-Probably my 2nd best subject and definitely the one that I have enjoyed the most over the past 5 years-exam went quite well wrote plenty for every question along with a very solid project I'd expect an A1 here

Accounting-My best subject by a mile although the exam itself was quite tricky in parts I was well prepared and expect an A1 in August

Economics-after our ridiculously easy mock paper were nearly everyone in our class got above 80%, I was worried that this would prove to be very difficult-fortunately I had 4 full days of cramming beforehand and this helped be immensely-hopeful of at least an A2

French-By far my worst subject and I seriously neglected it after our orals-be very lucky to get a C1 after a hard exam paper

Irish-my only pass subject so I didn't do a tap of study all year for it-left both exams after 35mins to go home and study for other subjects!-C3 likely

So glad it's over! Now for three straight nights going out on the tear!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement