Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft.ie

Options
  • 21-06-2010 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

So this is what i signed up for,

"Premium Ad...

Price: €395

A premium sale ad gives you unlimited photos, an interactive map and up to 90 consecutive days priority placement above all standard ads ensuring maximum exposure on Daft"

I took about 20 photo's of the outside, the entrance, the garden, and the different angles of the house, then about 20 more inside, of each room, the garage, etc. 1 acre site, plenty to show.

After spending a few hours uploading photo's using their completely awkward, slow, 5 mins per photo software, the entire stack of photo's disappears, and i have to start again. I do it in stages the next time, still photo's keep dropping towards the end. It's the weekend so i just put up the essential ones after losing a day of my life, and getting good at big2 in the process.

I email them during the week and, after much back and forth, where the answers become increasingly snippy and curt receive the following response.

"
    Hi,

We do not have the capacity to upload 54 photos, the property has taken all the photos that it is able to upload.

Regards,

Aine

The Daft Team
    "

False advertising?? Has anyone else had any experience?? I asked whether i would receive a refund, (only set it up 4 days ago, and spent 3 of them trying to sort out the ad online with them, as well as the address which had to be changed only by them), but haven't received a response yet.

Any previous exp. people have with this would ease my mind, especially if they were going for a refund.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Have you check the T&C's, it might be mentioned in there. "Unlimited" rarely means what it stands for, as if it did, it could be severely abused.

You might have a case if there is nothing defining what unlimited actually means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 omurchc

I checked already Jev, nothing in the legal disclaimer about it, only privacy etc..

If there was something they wanted to stipulate though, shouldn't it say unlimited* and point you towards what they actually mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

What file sizes are you trying to upload ? Many people try to upload photo's direct from thier camera's that may be quiet large, infact much larger than required. If you reduce the photo's demensions you'll be able reduce the size (mb)

It's less than 90mb all together, which never made it up. I got about 35mb worth of photo's up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Those file sizes seem quiet large for what daft actually display which is 600 pixels by 450 pixels with file sizes of 30KB - 80KB. Try reducing the dimensions of your photo to have a width of 600 pixels using a photo editor and re-up them. You'll find they'll upload alot quicker too.

Daft technical staff should really have advised you on photo dimensions and sizes, there is no info at all on their site with recommended dimensions which they really should have.

• Advertisement

That makes a load of sense jo, cheers. I'll try it out an see how i get on.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You might be shooting yourself in the foot with that many photos. Most people are not likely to study that many pics in detail and the best ones might get swamped by the quantity. I would suggest maybe 2 of each room/area and leave it at that.

And really, 90 megs is a lot to upload. Someone with a slower download speed might never get to see them or get bored waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Seems like a lot of photos could some be cut out i wouldn't flick through that many if i was looking.

But if you want them all flickstone photo resizer will let you reduce the size to a few KB rather than 2 mb each. (Select advanced option and reduce width pixel to 600)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I use Image resizer in Windows Powertools, works quite well and is free ! :)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm amazed that the daft image uploader program doesnt automatically resize them to their preferred format. I thought that was pretty much standard with any uploading software these days?

Anyway I just use mspaint when resizing photos. Just go to Image>Attributes and select whatever dimensions you want. The newer version of mspaint on Windows 7 is even better as it allows you to resize to a percentage of the original picture without messing up the aspect ratio.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

That amount of photos seems exceesive nomatter what your selling/renting,

Advertisement