Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Hitachi camera broken already

• 21-06-2010 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

:rolleyes::rolleyes: I guess I shouldn't have expected anything better.

My children REALLY wanted to buy themselves cameras with their birthday money so I relented and bought them a hitachi HDC 570AP each ... almost the cheapest I could buy at about €35. One of them is fine. The other one was okay for a few pics then stopped. Investigation and comparison of the two cameras tells me that the little lens is covered and not opening at all (whereas the one on the okay camera doesn't seem to close even when it's turned off).
    Any ideas on how to open it or will I just bring it back?

Broken before we even got home from argos :( I know I really should have known better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

14 day money back guarantee. bring them both back, neither are working properly so you'll not have lost anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

pete4130 wrote: »
    14 day money back guarantee. bring them both back, neither are working properly so you'll not have lost anything.

Yeah...that's probably the best option:(. I'll have 2 very disappointed children. I'll do my homework a bit better before splashing out again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pete4130 wrote: »
    14 day money back guarantee.
    sod the 14 day guarantee, you have a 30 day legal right to bring something back and demand a refund or replacement if it ceases being able to perform the function it was sold for within that time period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ah, don't worry you aren't the first to do that plus i'd guess that you were thinking well Hitachi are a brand you've heard of somewhere so they are probably ok. We had something similar with a brand of Vivitar which have loads of options - just the cameras that they make are very hit and miss and by all accounts more miss than hit (so this imho are also a brand to avoid). If you are exchanging then any of the following brands should at least last 24 hours of little hands working them ;) - Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic and Sony. Quick check on Argos and they start at about twice what you've paid on the Hitachi. Bummer...

Normally Argos exclude cameras (at least the dSLR variety) from the 14 day return thing which is geared towards the customer changing their mind - but i'd agree, it would be straight back in terms of your guarantee on the item which is probably one year.

One thing just to check - try exchange the batteries from the one that is working with the one that isn't (just on the off chance that it would be so simple). Maybe not :(

Do encourage the hobby / pastime though :)

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    We had something similar with a brand of Vivitar which have loads of options - just the cameras that they make are very hit and miss and by all accounts more miss than hit

I purposely went up a notch from vivitar for this reason :rolleyes:
    Normally Argos exclude cameras (at least the dSLR variety) from the 14 day return thing

They did say that but I think they did add "except if its faulty".
    One thing just to check - try exchange the batteries from the one that is working with the one that isn't (just on the off chance that it would be so simple). Maybe not :(

I tried new batteries in it... no go :(
    Do encourage the hobby / pastime though :)

I had great plans for projects with them over the summer but it's going to require a bit more thought (and money) now!
    sod the 14 day guarantee, you have a 30 day legal right to bring something back and demand a refund or replacement if it ceases being able to perform the function it was sold for within that time period.

Given that one doesn't work and the other works but isn't functioning properly I don't think I want a replacement:(. I think a full refund is the answer. I'll go in tomorrow morning.
    Thanks for the responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Hope it all works out Lilly Bugsie - It's a great idea though to let the wee ones hop around with their own camera's, it's proven that children who are introduced to "the arts" at a young ago usually end up happier, more succefull and more intelligent in later life :o (or so the story says).

Full refund received :D. Before I left I tried to take the card out of the one that did work but couldn't get it out :rolleyes: The woman couldn't argue with me over the first one but claimed that the second one was working fine and tried to convince me that I had put the card in wrong:rolleyes:. I knew I hadn't and eventually she got a second opinion who agreed with me so I got a full refund for the 2 cameras and 1 card.
    I still haven't figured out what to do next. Honestly the younger child might be happy with one of those kiddy cameras that have games. They take crap pictures but they're still €70-80! The older child will still want a "real" camera so maybe a few weeks of extra room tidying and maybe we could agree to splash out a bit more.

ETA... The younger child wants a "real" camera too. That's what I get for having them out helping me chase after butterflies and dragonflies with my 450D. Now why couldn't I have a less expensive hobby that they could copy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

littlebug wrote: »
    Full refund received :D. Before I left I tried to take the card out of the one that did work but couldn't get it out :rolleyes: The woman couldn't argue with me over the first one but claimed that the second one was working fine and tried to convince me that I had put the card in wrong:rolleyes:. I knew I hadn't and eventually she got a second opinion who agreed with me so I got a full refund for the 2 cameras and 1 card.
    I still haven't figured out what to do next. Honestly the younger child might be happy with one of those kiddy cameras that have games. They take crap pictures but they're still €70-80! The older child will still want a "real" camera so maybe a few weeks of extra room tidying and maybe we could agree to splash out a bit more.

ETA... The younger child wants a "real" camera too. That's what I get for having them out helping me chase after butterflies and dragonflies with my 450D. Now why couldn't I have a less expensive hobby that they could copy :D

I know you've had a bad experience there, but have you considered going second hand? surely some older first gen compact digitals can be got for that price..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

littlebug wrote: »
    Now why couldn't I have a less expensive hobby that they could copy :D

Just get them a ball in a cup.

Advertisement