Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating a small site.

Options
  • 21-06-2010 7:41pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and the missus inherited a small house (54 sq/m) on a small site (0.17 acres).

We spoke to our Architect and he said while a new build would be completely out of the question, we could renovate and expand the existing structure by 100% - as per current planning guidelines.

He consulted with the local planners about 6 to 8 weeks ago to run it by them and they said it shouldn't be a problem so we went ahead and nailed down a plan via sketches etc. which he was to push on with for a full PP application.

He has since spoken to the same planner who is now saying that even for renovations the minimum site size is half an acre for PP to be granted. While I understand we have very little to work with, we went ahead with our plans to renovate based on the advice of the planners, now they have U-turned on us and are saying the rules have changed.

Our architect is going to show the sketches and argue his case that, based on prior consultation, the project was given the go ahead in some capacity - that the site size shouldn't be a problem.

Has anyone any experience with this kind of thing? Is there ever any wiggle room/room for reasoning with planners or are we spannered? As it stands we will likely be left with a small Architect's bill for the work so far and no options as regards to the site as the existing dwelling is not of any standard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

see here ,http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/planning-permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house have a look on the council
    website re planning permission, extensions guidelines.
    but i,d prefer to be told by the council i cant build x, or reduce it by 30 per cent, rather than be refused completely after spending 1600euros on a planning application.
    i think its easier to get permission for a large kitchen, garage, front room than say 2 extra bedrooms as they may assume you may rent these rooms out in future.

I HAVE seen houses in dublin which were extended, say 700sq ft, now enlarged to 1100 sq ft, ie large 2 storey extension at the rear.
    some rural councils are very strict, re extensions .

Advertisement