Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of starting a coffee shop/restaurant/wine bar

Options
  • 21-06-2010 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi all,

Could really do with a bit of help/feedback, thanks,

Thinking of starting a coffee shop/restaurant/wine bar

Right I've always wanted to have my own coffee shop/restaurant but really have no clue how to go about it.
    I've never ran my own business, I've never even worked in a coffee shop so obviously it'd be a huge risk.
    That said without risk theres no reward right.

My vision unfortunately isnt simple.

I would want a coffee shop/restaurant/wine bar that does breakfast/lunch/dinner as well.

If anyone has ever been to a little place in Ashbourne called Corks you'll know what I mean.
    They do a good breaky, lunch, and dinner. They sell good coffee (could be better however) and have a nice wine menu also.

Small place seat maybe 30 i'd say.

I'm a good cook so would create the menus myself so food wouldnt be a problem plus I could if needed get a chef.

I would want the coffee to be the best around simple as that. Lots of choice of beans and brewed the way you want it etc.. Very important because I want it to be a place you could go have a coffee not have to eat if you didnt want to.

And lastly I'd want to be able to sell wine so I could open in the evenings as well for dinners and maybe be like a wine bar.

Has anyone ever had this thought?
    How would I even start to go about this?
    Would you be able to get a loan?
    How much would you need?
    Where would you locate?
    So many questions!!

I know this is mad risky especially in the current climate economically but its something I've always wanted to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

First of all unless you have the funding I would suggest putting together a business proposal(with help from boardsies possibly) and then approach your bank manager.

There would be no sense wasting your time and other peoples time unless you could get approved for finance.
    Has anyone ever had this thought?

I have been selling equipment to this industry for years so have always looked from the other side of the counter but then again I can throw you figures on the price of equipment.
    How would I even start to go about this?

First of all. Go talk to somebody impartial already in the business/industry and choose somebody that you will not be competing with because you wont be told the whole story.
    Would you be able to get a loan?

It depends on your business proposal and availability of collateral.
    How much would you need?

How long is a piece of string?
    Where would you locate?

I can't help you with this but surely someplace fairly cosmopolitan-ish.
    So many questions!!

You can get companies that will help you organise and design your premises but you would need to have an architects drawing for them. I was a Sales Manager for Martin Food Equipment in Dundalk whom would take your drawings, get your needs and do a CAD drawing and 3d mock up of what the store would look like. Their number is 042 9330366 and cover the entire country.

If you want to be considered "THE PLACE" to go for Coffee then you naturally have to have a good Coffee bean. You also need to have good equipment, good hygiene standards and receive great training and great backup.

You can buy your own Coffee equipment and buy Coffee or you can lease the equipment and receive free parts and servicing for a monthly rental. Its always up to you which is the best way for you but I'd nearly lease it myself because for a good 2 group machine you are looking at needing to sell around 2 cups of Coffee per day to break even on the lease and everything after that is for your back pocket.

You should also look into this piece of equipment, Turbochef

Keep asking questions and Im sure you will decide if you really want to make the leap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It comes up regularly, try searching in Entrepreneurial & Business Management for previous threads or I can move this over if you wish?

Have you ever worked in the food service sector? Without a sound grounding in the area or in business you'd be mad, 'current climate' or not. If you are serious about it I'd advise you to take a job in the sector for a while and learn how to deal with the public in business. Also, being able to cook doesn't mean you'd be able to run a professional kitchen I'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭coffeenuts

yeah can you move it please. Thanks for the replies lads very helpful. I wont be rushing into this dont worry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Grand so, moved. I've left a redirect in Coffee & Tea too.

Good luck with the venture if you do take it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 chamaid

Fist place you should start is a 'start your own business' course in a local enterprise board. You would be totally mad if you embarked on this venture with out doing it. The best ideas fall down without a business plan behind it - even a one pager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Beer Baron wrote: »
    First of all unless you have the funding I would suggest putting together a business proposal(with help from boardsies possibly) and then approach your bank manager.

There would be no sense wasting your time and other peoples time unless you could get approved for finance.

I have been selling equipment to this industry for years so have always looked from the other side of the counter but then again I can throw you figures on the price of equipment.

First of all. Go talk to somebody impartial already in the business/industry and choose somebody that you will not be competing with because you wont be told the whole story.

It depends on your business proposal and availability of collateral.

How long is a piece of string?

I can't help you with this but surely someplace fairly cosmopolitan-ish.

You can get companies that will help you organise and design your premises but you would need to have an architects drawing for them. I was a Sales Manager for Martin Food Equipment in Dundalk whom would take your drawings, get your needs and do a CAD drawing and 3d mock up of what the store would look like. Their number is 042 9330366 and cover the entire country.

If you want to be considered "THE PLACE" to go for Coffee then you naturally have to have a good Coffee bean. You also need to have good equipment, good hygiene standards and receive great training and great backup.

You can buy your own Coffee equipment and buy Coffee or you can lease the equipment and receive free parts and servicing for a monthly rental. Its always up to you which is the best way for you but I'd nearly lease it myself because for a good 2 group machine you are looking at needing to sell around 2 cups of Coffee per day to break even on the lease and everything after that is for your back pocket.

You should also look into this piece of equipment, Turbochef

Keep asking questions and Im sure you will decide if you really want to make the leap.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but would you have the names of any companies that would lease machines (For a medium sized office)

Advertisement