Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steering lock jammed on 07 astra.

• 21-06-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

My younger brother has an 07 astra car/van that he bought from new, his never had a problem with it untl Friday when he put the key in the ignition and it wouldnt turn, steering lock was jammed, we spent a long time jerking the steering wheel and trying to turn the key but no way would the key turn.
    He rang opel dealer who sold him the car and spoke to a mechanic who said "ah yes that happens in the hot weather, a part expands in the heat and jams the lock" Well ive never heard anything like that before, he also said a new barrel was needed and it would take 2 weeks to get one, get the car on a truck and bring it in to us.
    We took the ignition barrel off and brought it to a local locksmith who on inspection told us the pins in the barrel had collapsed and there is no other problem with it, nothing that the hot weather could of caused.
    Long and short of it is it will be fixed tomorrow at a cost of 100e.
    I would like to know if anyone here has had a similar problem with an opel?
    Dread to think what the bill would be if we left the car into the dealer to fix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Ok from the lack of replies, im guessing this is a one off problem, I would of expected an ignition barrell to last more than 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Had this problem on a 95 corolla. Took off the ignition barrell brought it to the local locksmith and he was able to repair it for a very small fee.

barryfitz wrote: »
    Had this problem on a 95 corolla. Took off the ignition barrell brought it to the local locksmith and he was able to repair it for a very small fee.
    Ya we done the same, locksmith is the cheapest option by far. I had a diesel corolla(94) for 2 years a few years ago and it never let me down, great cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

My Sister inlaw is having the same probelm with an 08 Antara, garage can not find the fault. Happen a few times while driving.

My Sister inlaw is having the same probelm with an 08 Antara, garage can not find the fault. Happen a few times while driving.
    Now thats scary, she should demand a new ignition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement