Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Insurance - Meteor vs Carphone Warehouse

Options
  • 21-06-2010 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

Got a new phone today and wanted to have it insured. It's a Meteor handset which I bought in CPW.

The guy in CPW told me that their cover was more comprehensive and a quicker process when something goes wrong. The CPW insurance works out at €13.75 a month and the Meteor one is €6.99, almost half the price.

Wondering if people have had any experience with either. Is the more expensive CPW insurance worth the extra money ???

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,238 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is the more expensive CPW insurance worth the extra money ???

No! Take the meteor option or put your phone under your own house insurance or your folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

€13.75 a month is €165.00 in a year. No phone insurance is worth that, a bit more and you could insure an entire house.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its not as clear cut as that really, you dont take your house everywhere you go, and have it lots of different places every day. Its easier to lose, damage, or have a phone stolen than it is a house ;)

Now im not sure on the details of the meteor insurance, but from memory the the CW covers everything including accidental damage like putting it in the wash, the only thing it doesn't cover is leaving it unattended like on a table in a pub and going to the toilets.

You should compare details before jumping into the meteor one. Im not saying avoid the meteor cover, just check out the details first like you would with any insurance policy

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sinkingfish

@Davy thanks for the reply. Food for thought. I'm tending towards sticking with CPW.

Does anyone have any solid experience having made a claim from either company ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

@Davy thanks for the reply. Food for thought. I'm tending towards sticking with CPW.

Does anyone have any solid experience having made a claim from either company ?

i claimed on meteor a few years ago (it's actually an english insurance company called CPP). the insurance covers pretty much everything; loss, theft, malicious damage, liquid etc. it took maybe a week to receive the new phone. the main point to note, as with all insurance policies, is that when claiming you have to show that you were taking "due care" of the device when the mis-hap occurred e.g. a phone left in an unattended coat will not be covered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

My first ever mobile phone wasn't insured and it was in the pocket of my jacket which was stolen from a pub I was in...back in 1997. Hard to believe they had phones way back then!
    I didn't have insurance on the phone but even if I did most of the mobile phone policies would not have covered me because I left it unattended.
    There's an article here that may be of interest. http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/make-me-richer/mobile-phone-insurance-1774388.html
    Seems Meteors cover is quite reasonable. There's also the option of going directly to an insurance company such as this one.
    http://www.phonesonline.ie/mobile_phone_insurance.asp
    They seem to have a range of options depending on how clumsy/paranoid you are.
    3 also do good cover options but that may not be relevant to you on Meteor.... In case anyone else is interested tho here's the link.
    http://www.three.ie/3Cover/

I'm with 3 ....waiting for the Desire to launch (sigh!!!)... and it looks like I'd have to pay around 7 euro a month on top of my 30 euro for relax 150 and another 10 euro for 1GB downloads......
    ...I just think I'd rather hold on to the 7euro a month. If I'm stupid enough to loose or brak the phone then I deserve to loos the 500 euro it'll cost me to replace it. Home and life insurance makes sense and car insurance is the law. I learned my lesson back in 97 and (touch wood) I haven't lost a phone or a jacket since.

Advertisement