Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belturbet Railway and Vintage Restoration

Options
  • 21-06-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

We are based in Belturbet Train Station and we are a Newly formed Railway and vintage group. We would like to invite anybody interested in getting involved in our group to get in touch. We are currently Restoring a orginal Cavan and Leitrim Wagon
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001250102768#!/album.php?aid=932&id=100001250102768&ref=pb3
    We are also on the look out for any narrow gauge rolling stock or track anyone may have lying about :-) As long term we would love to relay some of the Cavan and Leitrim Line from Belturbet.

Regards
    Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Plenty lying about here - aren't you starting at the wrong end - on second thoughts perhaps not!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Well done Paul. This is a great project.

My Dad got me interested in railways in that part of country a long time ago and have read quite a bit and spoken to people that worked on the GNR. I know very little about the Belturbet line, and indeed don't even know if it was part of the GNR.

About 10 years ago, a chap came up from Arklow to see my Dad. This chap was writing a book about the GNR and gave Dad a copy of some preliminary work, mainly photos. I never heard if he completed his book.

You were asking about rolling stock. I was up fishing in your part of the country a few weeks ago, and was travelling to Belturbet from Monaghan town. Whatever town lies between these town, as you enter it and go up a steep hill, over to the left there was a goods wagon behind a house, in pretty poor condition, but salvagable. I don't know if it was narrow guage or not, but worth a look if you know the town I am speaking about. This town was about 14 miles from Belturbet.

There is a man that I fish with that worked on the GNR and lives in that part of the country. I'll be seeing him in 4 weeks and will ask him for you. I'll also ask my Dad for you and maybe take him to Belturbet for a spin some Sunday.

Paul, let me know how you get on with your project. I'd love to bring my Dad up to see it when you have it up & running.

The very best of luck to you.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lynchiered

Dummy wrote: »
    Well done Paul. This is a great project.

My Dad got me interested in railways in that part of country a long time ago and have read quite a bit and spoken to people that worked on the GNR. I know very little about the Belturbet line, and indeed don't even know if it was part of the GNR.

About 10 years ago, a chap came up from Arklow to see my Dad. This chap was writing a book about the GNR and gave Dad a copy of some preliminary work, mainly photos. I never heard if he completed his book.

You were asking about rolling stock. I was up fishing in your part of the country a few weeks ago, and was travelling to Belturbet from Monaghan town. Whatever town lies between these town, as you enter it and go up a steep hill, over to the left there was a goods wagon behind a house, in pretty poor condition, but salvagable. I don't know if it was narrow guage or not, but worth a look if you know the town I am speaking about. This town was about 14 miles from Belturbet.

There is a man that I fish with that worked on the GNR and lives in that part of the country. I'll be seeing him in 4 weeks and will ask him for you. I'll also ask my Dad for you and maybe take him to Belturbet for a spin some Sunday.

Paul, let me know how you get on with your project. I'd love to bring my Dad up to see it when you have it up & running.

The very best of luck to you.

D.

Thanks for all your support,

We will be checking out that wagon in the next few days hopefully it is a Narrow gauge wagon as we have loads of standard gauge wagons. you and your dad are welcome up to the station anytime just drop us a mail. We have started on the wagon and it is going very good check our facebook out for photo's

Advertisement