Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fixed charge offence sent to wrong address?

• 21-06-2010 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi just looking for some advice. got stopped by gardai tax was 1 day out and was told i'd recieve a fine in post must of been having a bad day i guess:mad: anyway my girlfriend phones me says a fixed charge offence has arrived to her address for me.
    firstly i don't nor never have lived at this address, secondly my van is not registered here and my address is clearly on my licence which gardai took note of. just wondering how the hell they've made this mix up? should i pay or should i ring processing office and explain? will they re-issue to my address. not sure what to do any advice
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Sounds very quare...

Firstly that he done you for 1 day out of tax!!!
    Secondly that the summons came to wrong address. Maybe forget about it because you dont live at that address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

How did the Garda get your girlfriend's address? It must have been mentioned/noted at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭(insert name)

Do you ever get an other post there? Maybe the post office/postman included it with other post with your name on it.

A friend had 2 letters sent to my address once then about a month later had another letter using my address but he got the house number wrong. He didn't live in the house and the neighbours didn't really know any of us as we were only living there for about 5 months at the time but the postman still delivered it to my letterbox! This was in Dublin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 calais1999

hi thanks for replys, never get any post there only thing i can think of is i'm a named driver on her car which is registered to her address but was driving my van so surely if this was processed correctly it should have come to my house. not sure what i should do now with regards to paying it. it's all very strange being done for 1 day out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭FewToLose

I would ignore it, supposing she wasn't your girlfriend and you never recieved it?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

she sounds like trouble, get rid of her :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd do the exact opposite of ignoring it.

I'd take it to the Garda in question and ask them your questions wrt the girlfriend's address and any other queries about the offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

-Chris- wrote: »
    I'd do the exact opposite of ignoring it.

I'd take it to the Garda in question and ask them your questions wrt the girlfriend's address and any other queries about the offence.

Definitely, I'd feel extremely uneasy in your situation and want to get to the very bottom of just how exactly they have you both connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 squiggers

it would appear that you might be able to contest the fine on a legal basis since you do not live at the address where the letter was sent to. do you have any lawyer mates you could ask?

something similar happened to me. i got a court summons for not displaying insurance (even though i produced the documents to the gardai station within the required 10 days, but that's a digression) but the thing was that they also wrote my name back to front (surname as first name and vice versa) and got the house number wrong.

now, my case was dismissed on the day after i showed the insurance documents to the relevant garda again but i was speaking to a friend beforehand and he said that i could could possibly contest it on the grounds of wrong name and address.

still, that might've only resulted in the gardai sending out another summons to the legally correct name and address and just delayed the whole thing.

i guess you're probably best off going to the garda station with your new tax disk and the letter-fine but make sure your point out that it was sent to the wrong address. you probably won't get around having to pay the fine because if the tax is out, it's out and they have the right to fine you.

Advertisement