Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grinding noise off of my brake disc

• 21-06-2010 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭

I recently had to get a new wheel bearing for my front driver side wheel and i've noticed a grinding noise coming from the brake disc. I'm just wondering could this be because it was refitted incorrectly? Is it dangerous? The grinding noise turns into a whirring one when I turn left aswell. Im driving a D4D Avensis

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

deccurley wrote: »
    I recently had to get a new wheel bearing for my front driver side wheel and i've noticed a grinding noise coming from the brake disc. I'm just wondering could this be because it was refitted incorrectly? Is it dangerous? The grinding noise turns into a whirring one when I turn left aswell. Im driving a D4D Avensis

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would say that your passenger side wheel bearing is knackered as well. When you turn left you put weight on the right wheel and when you hear a whirring noise you know your bearings on the way out. Jack your car up to check the paasenger side wheel. Pull/Rock the wheel to check for play and rotate the wheel and check for a grinding noise to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

When you turn left you put weight on the left wheel...
    Weight on the right wheel, surely?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Whirring noise sounds like a bearing. I had a spurious bearing fitted to my car about 20 months ago, I had to replace it with an OEM item 2 months ago.
    I wonder is your bearing that was just fitted a defective item?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

esel wrote: »
    Weight on the right wheel, surely?

Apologies yes a typo the right wheel. If the noise is less when you turn left it is the left passenger side bearing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Is the grinding constant or does it only happen when you brake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Thanks everyone for your replies
    Confab wrote: »
    Is the grinding constant or does it only happen when you brake?

Its constant, jacked the driver side up and theres no play in the wheel but when i spin it i can hear a clear grinding sound. can hear it when i drive with the window down aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Have a check to see if the pads are sitting properly in the caliper,
    if the y aren't they can sometimes cause a grinding noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

I had the same noise come out of my Leon passenger side wheel. Didn't know what it was. 3 or 4 weeks later the bearing completely snapped in half on a busy roundabout. the car came to a grinding halt with no drive. I had to push the car down the road in rush hour traffic.

Get it fixed or checked because it will break sooner or later..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TarmacWizard

It definitely something you want to get looked at, but it could just be the wear sensor on your brake pad.

Some pads come with a clip that will grind against the rotor once the material on the pad reaches a certain wear point.

Advertisement