Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raptor died, ssd time

Options
  • 21-06-2010 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

One of my raid raptors caught the click of death today and sadly passed away after 5 years service RIP (they did 150MB/s read in raid 0, which is even fast by todays standards), so I'm in the market for a 30GB ssd. 30GB is fine as I strip my c drive of user directories etc and and I don't install games there, (atm I've 12GB free on a single 36GB raptor). I'm not too well up on whats fastest etc. Budget is upto ~€150, good value bargains on adverts accepted also.

Edit: Maximillian has recommended this one, how are OCZ? Opinions. I believe this one will support the TRIM features of Windows 7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was recommended the intel one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/175723 on here not so long ago.

Can't say I've had any problems with it, Photoshop is definitely allot faster to start on my home PC than the work one but it is a faster computer over all despite being older.

They said go bigger than the 34gb one as 34gb just isn't allot of storage any more. I haven't put all that much on it and it's already up to 24gb.

Overall I wasn't all that impressed with the speed difference and windows 7 seems to have made a bigger speed impact than the hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

ScumLord wrote: »
    I was recommended the intel one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/175723 on here not so long ago.

Can't say I've had any problems with it, Photoshop is definitely allot faster to start on my home PC than the work one but it is a faster computer over all despite being older.

They said go bigger than the 34gb one as 34gb just isn't allot of storage any more. I haven't put all that much on it and it's already up to 24gb.

Overall I wasn't all that impressed with the speed difference and windows 7 seems to have made a bigger speed impact than the hard drive.

Whoah, 80GB and pricey, I don't need 80GB and £180 sterling plus shipping is a little too much

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Whoah, 80GB and pricey, I don't need 80GB and £180 sterling plus shipping is a little too much
    Your not going to put ARMA 2 on it with all your mods, I'm assuming there's a sizeable amount of them by now and won't ARMA see a big boost in performance from an SSD?

I already use a ramdisk for Arma, I have the most used .pbo's in a virtual drive on ram :D
    I want this for just the OS for now, I do intend on buying a second and raiding them or something bigger for my games directory when I'm more flush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I would recommend the Intel 80GBX-25M aswell. I have one myself since it's arguably the best affordable SSD on the market.

The one linked in the 2nd post is the older model though, you don't want the black one. There's a white version is known as Gen 2, for generation 2. It has TRIM support, while the black one doesn't :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-006-IN&tool=3

Here is also a good SSD, good value for it's price anyway since it's only for OS.

• Advertisement

I would recommend the Intel 80GBX-25M aswell. I have one myself since it's arguably the best affordable SSD on the market.

The one linked in the 2nd post is the older model though, you don't want the black one.
    :(

Mine does have trim support it's not black though. It's in a silver case.

:(

Mine does have trim support it's not black though. It's in a silver case.
    Silver/White :P It's the same as mine :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/196519

Is the one you have :)

That link I put up earlier is the direct link from my order so that must be the one I got.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

One of my raid raptors caught the click of death today and sadly passed away after 5 years service RIP (they did 150MB/s read in raid 0, which is even fast by todays standards), so I'm in the market for a 30GB ssd.

Jaysus 5 years at that speed is quite impressive. Didnt think it would last that long!

I have an OCZ Agility and I love it. The 2nd gen of their SSDs are out now though, supposedly sporting faster speeds and such, but I havent seen all too many reviews on them yet

That link I put up earlier is the direct link from my order so that must be the one I got.
    Reading the reviews on it, it seems it is the new generation. I taught the Gen 2 were all white :)

My mistake, I wonder when that came about! I'd say Intel trying to trick peeps into buying the older black one wherever it's stuck hehe:P

• Advertisement

Reading the reviews on it, it seems it is the new generation. I taught the Gen 2 were all white :)
    Phew, I had invested my manhood in the modernness of me SSD. :D

Jaysus 5 years at that speed is quite impressive. Didnt think it would last that long!

Last that long? :confused: Raid 0 doesn't put any extra stress on a hd, it just alternates read and write between the 2 drives

150MB/s was wicked fast 5 yrs ago

HDTune_Benchmark_Intel___Raid_0_Vol.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

no, just raptor drives in general. I've seen 3/4 fail within 3 years

Just checked my emails and this raptor was bought on 16/8/2006, less than 4 years old and has a 5 yr limited manufacturers warranty, gonna fire off an email see what they say. What do they mean by limited?
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16822136054

On the ssd front, looks like I gotta find some more cash for one of them Intel gen 2's so I'm gonna leave it till next month, thanks for all the advise.

Update,

I checked and limited means that if it was originally sold to a system manufacturer (Dell), then its not covered, but I'm in luck as I bought this myself and I've got an RMA setup and ready to go. Hopefully they won't have one in stock and will replace it with something newer :D I know these are out of manufacture a long time. I'm gonna kickup a fuss that its one of a raid pair if they offer something different. I only gotta ship it to the UK which is not so bad.

@ OP.

One of the 40gb Intel drives just popped up on adverts.
    http://www.adverts.ie/241588/hardware/intel-x25-v-40gb-ssd/

I'd offer €80 and see if you could get it for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

@ OP.

One of the 40gb Intel drives just popped up on adverts.
    http://www.adverts.ie/241588/hardware/intel-x25-v-40gb-ssd/

I'd offer €80 and see if you could get it for that.

Ah you don't want one of those OP

<_<

>_>

:pac:

Oddly there is two of them up today, and 80 would be the highest bid on either. Here is the other which i also bid on

http://adverts.ie/240250

I was looking them up on anandtech earlier today and they said that trim support for raid might be coming shortly when they were reviewing this (they are only out since march i think)

Edit: found the link
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2968/intel-s-x25-v-kingston-s-30gb-ssdnow-v-series-battle-of-the-125-ssds

And here is the quote on the conclusions page
    Intel did hint that its driver teams are looking at ways to pass TRIM down to RAID arrays however.

If you were considering getting both

On the ssd front, looks like I gotta find some more cash for one of them Intel gen 2's so I'm gonna leave it till next month, thanks for all the advise.
    Yip, that's what happens when you ask buying advice in here. Best salesmen in the business. Same thing happened to me, you'd swear this forum is on commission or something I ended up spending twice what I intended to within two pages.

Yip, that's what happens when you ask buying advice in here. Best salesmen in the business. Same thing happened to me, you'd swear this forum is on commission or something I ended up spending twice what I intended to within two pages.
    It's for the best :D

That usually happens with me, ask for advise with a budget and end up doubling it

• Advertisement

Update,
    I bought 40GB Intel V-25 SSD on Adverts, I then tried to copy my Windows 7 image I took in Feb onto it but it won't boot with it so I'm currently using it solely for Arma2 & Expansion and mods for now as I couldn't be arsed reinstalling at the moment. It boots the game in seconds, I'll probably not bother installing Windows on it at all as this is the game that takes most of my time lately.
    I got word today from Western Digital that my Raptor RMA has just been shipped so I'll be back on my raid 0 raptors for boot when that comes. I've decided I'll eventually be moving this SSD to my HTPC and upgrading to an 80-120GB SSD for C drive and Arma on my main one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

30GB for a C: drive isn't a lot anymore - the WinSxS folder grows after each update and unless you plan on formatting often it'll quickly reach that size, after 4 months my Windows folder (including WinSxS is 21GB) - ~40/50GB is a nice size to be honest :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Would a 60Gb Corsair reactor be highly thought of? Seen one on ebuyer for 98 sterling and considering a potential purchase.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/196890

EDIT: A quick glance at the Corsair SSD forum makes me think maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

How are you finding it since you got it by the way?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    How are you finding it since you got it by the way?

I've not put my OS on it and I won't bother, I intend to buy a 60-80Gb in future for OS. I has my OS on the single 36GB raptor when one failed and realised 40GB is just too small for comfort. I've now got two raptors again, now WD rma'd it so I'm back in Raid 0, noisy bastards, but fast, even by todays standards. Here's how the two compare, the raptors are nearly as fast but the SSD has zero seek time.

121329.png
    121328.png

I've got Arma2, the expansion pack and mods on the SSD (all I really play these days), above any game this game needs an SSD as its constantly reading from hd. I see huge improvements, the game loads in 10secs and there's no delayed textures You sometimes get with the game and mechanical drives. I did have a 4GB ramdisk (virtual hd on the ram) setup for the game, but with the SSD I don't need it and have 4GB of ram I can sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How does the RAM disk compare with the SSD for speed only.

BostonB wrote: »
    How does the RAM disk compare with the SSD for speed only.

No comparrison, ramdisk is multiple times faster but it needs to be set with each boot or You only have fat or fat32

Advertisement