Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reglueing tubs

• 21-06-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭

If there is no damage to a tub - when, if ever, should you reglue it to the rim?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭quintana2

tunney wrote: »
    If there is no damage to a tub - when, if ever, should you reglue it to the rim?
    Any time you like as long as you remove any large chunks of glue.Put on a new run of glue around the rim and tub and you will get a better bond than you had the first time because of the old glue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

quintana2 wrote: »
    Any time you like as long as you remove any large chunks of glue.Put on a new run of glue around the rim and tub and you will get a better bond than you had the first time because of the old glue.

I meant is there a need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

I meant is there a need?
    Yes. Broken spoke replacement. A lot of tub wheel require you to remove for re truing.

edit: Ooops, I understand now. Yes there is a need to re glue, as the old glue will (usually) not be sticky enough to prevent the tub rolling off. Fitting and not re gluing should only be used for roadside emergency

Yes. Broken spoke replacement. A lot of tub wheel require you to remove for re truing.

edit: Ooops, I understand now. Yes there is a need to re glue, as the old glue will (usually) not be sticky enough to prevent the tub rolling off. Fitting and not re gluing should only be used for roadside emergency

But how often?!??!?

If the bond seems okay is there a mileage or time limit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

But how often?!??!?

If the bond seems okay is there a mileage or time limit?

FWIW (not much) I was curious and bored so I googled a bit.

The consensus seems to be that it is time- and storage-dependent, after 18-24 months the glue eventually dries up and gets brittle, but if you can't easily pull the tub off when a bit underinflated then it's OK. I don't see any opinions on whether the drying out changes RR or just safety.

If I was doing flattish tri/TT I probably wouldn't bother, and if I had the choice of leaving a expertly-glued tub on or regluing it myself (badly) I'd leave it on.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    FWIW (not much) I was curious and bored so I googled a bit.

The consensus seems to be that it is time- and storage-dependent, after 18-24 months the glue eventually dries up and gets brittle, but if you can't easily pull the tub off when a bit underinflated then it's OK. I don't see any opinions on whether the drying out changes RR or just safety.

If I was doing flattish tri/TT I probably wouldn't bother, and if I had the choice of leaving a expertly-glued tub on or regluing it myself (badly) I'd leave it on.

Disc is fine.
    Front 404 isn't glued solid completely at the sides.
    Rear 808 has become separated from the base tape.

Feck it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Jaysus Tunney, you're going to be fairly busy with gluing and changing chains ! :)

Murph100 wrote: »
    Jaysus Tunney, you're going to be fairly busy with gluing and changing chains ! :)

Least of my worries :)

Last time the front 404 was used was in IM Kona and hasn't been ridden since, might just go with it.

Still have to decide on reglueing 808 or using disc.

Advertisement