Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Back my lost fitness

• 21-06-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.. not sure this is the best place for this seeing as ye guys are actually pretty good runners but I'm looking at trying to build my own fitness up a bit..

Basically I'm finishing up the leaving this week and because it's so late now the few summer jobs that were to be had in my locality are all taken by now so i have the whole summer to myself pretty much...

I'm hoping maybe to be able to take up a bit of running for fitness and to help playing football and just general fitness like that but really I'd like to be able to just run at a suistaned pace for a long distance...... something that i'm really really awful at now...

I used to be average fit - as in a 7-8 lap run around a football field at a moderate fast pace was tough but doable... last 6 months have erased all that so i'm back to square 1...

does anyone have any tips as to how actually train to improve my running... how long runs should I aim for every day??
    how often should I run??

and just please please remember - i'm not gonna be fit to run "just 3 miles" on day 1 so... maybe after 3-4 weeks i might have got back to that point but...

any help will be appreciated :) thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Loads and loads of people start with a couch 2 5k plan, like this
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

You might be able to start with week 3 or week 4, take a look and see. That will get you to the point where you can go out and run 3 miles three times a week, and at that point you can reassess. Some people are happy to maintain that level of running fitness while continuing other sports, or you might want to work on your speed, or run longer distances...

Advertisement