Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan - any suggestions?

Options
  • 21-06-2010 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

I've finished reading Tom Anderson's book Riding the Magic Carpet on Saturday and you could find me on a rented foamie in Enniscrone on Sunday morning ;)

The book is about fulfilling a dream, a plan, to ride a wave. And the journey to fulfill that dream. And that brought me the idea that I could set a goal for myself. Less likely going abroad to surf, especially when I am glad for few seconds long ride in white water. I was more thinking about setting the task to get fit for surfing and to progress onto a proper board from a rental one. And to really surf a wave. Being too ambitious, would it be possible to be able to surf Easky next Christmas?

At this point, I would like to get your opinion or maybe even guidance. There is no way I could go surfing during the week, but I will try to exercise a bit more, get into the water to swim and to kayak more and at least every second weekend one day on the west coast.

Feel free to post your experience and suggestions. And the best post wins the book, that will be given to the winner on a west coast ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Easkey is not all it's cracked up to be and a big thing is surfing is taking small steps and not assuming everything is easy.

A good goal would be to get Enniscrone on a good clean big winter swell, wave are always bigger than they look and it can peal far more than on Easkey. I've gotten seveal waves I'll alway remember there.

Read the book liked it. There's another one Breath by Tim Winton but it's a bit dark and disturbed.

http://breath.timwinton.com.au/
    ThOnda wrote: »
    I've finished reading Tom Anderson's book Riding the Magic Carpet on Saturday and you could find me on a rented foamie in Enniscrone on Sunday morning ;)

The book is about fulfilling a dream, a plan, to ride a wave. And the journey to fulfill that dream. And that brought me the idea that I could set a goal for myself. Less likely going abroad to surf, especially when I am glad for few seconds long ride in white water. I was more thinking about setting the task to get fit for surfing and to progress onto a proper board from a rental one. And to really surf a wave. Being too ambitious, would it be possible to be able to surf Easky next Christmas?

At this point, I would like to get your opinion or maybe even guidance. There is no way I could go surfing during the week, but I will try to exercise a bit more, get into the water to swim and to kayak more and at least every second weekend one day on the west coast.

Feel free to post your experience and suggestions. And the best post wins the book, that will be given to the winner on a west coast ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

If you are riding a foam board through whitewater at present and only see yourself getting weekend waves in the near future, it would be irresponsible to encourage someone to paddle out at the named break. You could end being a danger to yourself, but more importantly, others.

However, if you want to move on quicker, get a few one-to-one lessons and talk to the instructor about setting goals. Get your own board as it will open up the oppurtunities for getting a few waves in.

Watch others in the line up, as you get more confident and capable, move further out to the unbroken wave. But remember, there is no substitute for hours spent in the water, on the board. Try and think clearly about every wave you are about to catch, and then after each wave, think about what you did on the wave, what happened and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭keryl

Hi

I think getting as much paddling in and meeting waves will build you up and that really helps for popping up. Look to going out a little bit further to catch slightly better waves before they turn the oul white. Get up that little bit earlier on them and now look to take time in going left or right and knowing where you want to go on a wave.

As someone said, don't go out the back unless you have someone with you and then be very cautious, don't expect anyone to save you or say your drifting out. It's your responsibility.

The west coast is blessed with great beaches, Carrowniskey is a lovely spot that has better powerful swells then Enniscrone I think, could be wrong.

The most important thing about surfing is to enjoy it, simple as.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

As you almost alluded to in your post, consistency is key to learning how to surf, getting in every odd weekend and getting fitter will get you there but it will just take a bit longer....

If you want to learn to slide, invest in a decent surf trip, a week or two either here or abroad.

Pick somewhere the waves/conditions will suit you
    and ideally go at a time when there will be swell.

You might choose to fasttrack the process by going to a surfschool, or maybe just get out there yourself.

Be in the water before and after breakfast, take a break for lunch, back in for avro, and finish with an eve sess :cool:.

A week to 10 days of this and you'll be surfed out but your skill level should have advanced. Back it up with an autumn/winter/spring of the odd weekend session and then go again.

Give it a couple of years and the whole coastline will be open for play.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bagus

Your plan is to go from total learner to riding a decent reef in about 13 totally disjointed spread-out days....you'll be so out of your league there if it's any good... and a danger to yourself and others.

Living on the East coast is going to make learning very difficult (and slow) for you. At the rate you will get to the waves it'll take you about 2 years to progress (less if you're young & light, more if you're old and not light)

Board choice will be crucial too. If you get the wrong board (too advanced) then add loads more time to the learning process.

You'll get lads saying it can be done in less time but they are probably learners themselves with an over inflated opinion of their ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Thanks for all the posts. Easky was more the idea. I'd be scared ****le$$ to get there now, unless I had fins and snorkel. Or rather camera and stay safely on the pier. Well, not every time, as recorded by my friend :D

I have 7 days off in July, so I'll be watching forecast where to go. The Ennishcrone beach is my absolutely favorite place in the whole Ireland, I have a week spot for it. My plan is to go there and spend as much time in water as possible.

And to give more background, I am not young anymore and I was recently quite lazy and stuck in work, so (recreational) surfing is my motivation for the future.

Once more, thank you for all your posts and keep them coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Hi, theres good information here in this thread for those looking to start surfing reefs. :)

http://www.irishsurfer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4330

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Offer your photo services to surfers who want to photo sessions and fund a trip with tropicsurf.net they'll have you surfing reefs within a week

Looking at MSW, it looks that my surfing holiday in Enniscrone will begin with some photography on Saturday :D

I am back from Enniscrone. Only one day of surfing in last four days. Wind or work prevented from doing more. At least few photographs. Teaser is below:
    EFD95192341A4D7D95457030F368EE92.jpg

• Advertisement

It is good to watch other surfers, a lot could be learned...

39785AA13D244C56B128EE77C519C0C0-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

^damnit that's a sick left

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Nice pics. Pity about the lack of water time.
    Did you get a board yet?

The natural progress from foamie to NCS softtop went smoothly, I might get out next time my housemate's board.

By the way, the NCS softtop is the second best thing after sliced bread. Well, the third one, after wet suits ;)

I have possibility to use (for free and anytime I want) Bic 7'9". Do you think I should go for it? Feels a bit small after the 8' softop. And with less buoyancy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you feel you've pushed the soft top to the limit and if its free you'd be mad not to. Once you get used to it its not so bad, I have one too, they're not very manouvreable though. A long board would be better I'm told.

I've met one lady I know a bit in Enniscrone and she had the very same board (Bic 7'9"). So we swapped the boards and I caught the very first wave, stood up and made the sharpest turn so far :D I am sold, foamies will stay for small swell days (and east coast).

Is the Friday afternoon glitch on MSW worth driving to Brittas bay getting wet?

I've met one lady I know a bit in Enniscrone and she had the very same board (Bic 7'9"). So we swapped the boards and I caught the very first wave, stood up and made the sharpest turn so far :D I am sold, foamies will stay for small swell days (and east coast).

Well done!

Tested the board and bought a bit used summer wetsuit for €50 that fits me like a glove. Good bye, rentals, I am free now :D

Waxed my boards for the first time. WOW! What a difference. I am learning every time something new. I love it!

• Advertisement

Waxed my boards for the first time. WOW! What a difference. I am learning every time something new. I love it!

Wait, you were out on an unwaxed board last week?

No, the board is older and has some wax (sand, dust and ash) deposits on it. I just didn't know how big difference it is. Now I know. Lesson learned and €2.50 well spent ;)

I've been surfing for the first time on the east coast yesterday and it was great, although the waves diminished quickly. Cannot wait for the coming weekend :D

Eniscrone was absolutely flat on Saturday, although that MSW forecasted more than 4 feet. Keel beach on the Achil Island is the nicest place I have ever been to! But I am still crap in the water. The finest wipeouts happened there :)
    Oh yes, my friend stepped on the weaver fish. Never heard about them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Eniscrone was absolutely flat on Saturday, although that MSW forecasted more than 4 feet. Keel beach on the Achil Island is the nicest place I have ever been to! But I am still crap in the water. The finest wipeouts happened there :)
    Oh yes, my friend stepped on the weaver fish. Never heard about them before.

It was flat becasue there was to much south in the swell. If you want to get better to forecasting waves for yourself read this (and anything else you can find)
    http://www.lajollasurf.org/luds.html

do some searching of your own

Then ditch magic seaweed (I look at windguru) and see if you can figure it out you self, check back with msw or wg and see if you agree.

Ok A few things to think about...

MSW/windguru have a blind spot for southerly swells, enniscrone/easky will be flat if there is to much south in it

Get a little fitter and get a few lessons from Ger Byrne in Enniscone, will get you turning out back in no time, but you'll need to be paddle fit

Stop boring us with your step by step account on how you'll get to surf easkey:eek:

And one more thing...

http://www.discoverenniscrone.com/webcam3.html

It'll save petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

rodento wrote: »
    Stop boring us with your step by step account on how you'll get to surf easkey:eek:

speak for yourself captain buzzkill

rodento, thanks for every piece of information, it is much appreciated. I have too much to learn. And I agree, I get carried away quite often, because surfing is something I had never expected to do and every time I get out, I feel very excited that I am really trying to do that. I'll try to curb my enthusiasm a bit :D

I am not going to be boring with updates on every fart I've done recently, but I have a question on wetsuit. Trying to do at least 4 sessions when I am on the west coast, it is real pain to get into the wet wetsuit. Is there any trick I just don't know that would help? I've tried to put it on when it was either inside-out or correctly turned, but it was always fight.

I am only asking what works for you. Thank you in advance for your shared experience.

• Advertisement

Get two wetsuits, nothing better in winter:cool:

Advertisement