Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan - any suggestions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Just a quick question. If there is dirt cheap board for sale, but it is one foot shorter than the Bic MiniMal I was misusing last year, shall I go for it? I am not saying that I have mastered the MiniMal yet, but for the money?
    I am just torn between getting my own board that would fit comfortably into the car and keep on borrowing that Bic that seems heavy.
    I will welcome any opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

ThOnda wrote: »
    Just a quick question. If there is dirt cheap board for sale, but it is one foot shorter than the Bic MiniMal I was misusing last year, shall I go for it? I am not saying that I have mastered the MiniMal yet, but for the money?
    I am just torn between getting my own board that would fit comfortably into the car and keep on borrowing that Bic that seems heavy.
    I will welcome any opinion.

You probably know the answer to this already.
    Would you buy the board if it wasnt cheaper? Have you outgrown the bic?

I'm a firm believer in getting a good deal while its going but not if the board is going to sit unused for ages because you can't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

So it's 6'9, all depends on the volume and width but I'd say no by cheap buy twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Is the bic holding you back????

Well, the biggest problem is wave selection. I feel like the Bic is heavy and pushing the water a lot. But it will be most likely me not doing it properly. The Bic also is not mine and it may not be always available for me this year, my housemate caught the bug too :)
    I'll try to stay away from adverts for a while. And if the weather is good, I'll go for rented foamie this weekend to get into the water after three months. At least I will catch some waves. Even those I don't want to ;)

• Advertisement

Have you surfed easkey yet:D

No way! I've been in the water only once in last 4 months :(
    It will be hard work to get in shape for surfing again. And to save for winter wetsuit and my board. So few months will by dry.

I still think you should let your photography pay for your new suit and boardwink.gif

ThOnda's surf photo's services eek.gif

Let people/groups know your available

They could give you a lift and you photogragh their sessions and before you know it you'll have all you need to surf easkeybiggrin.gif

No way! I've been in the water only once in last 4 months :(
    It will be hard work to get in shape for surfing again. And to save for winter wetsuit and my board. So few months will by dry.
    Keep an eye on gumtree an advers there are load of bargin board out there saw one bic 9 ft for 160 a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭keryl

If I was you I would get a wetsuit, if you love surfing and even if you only get to do it every so often and feel comfortable going out on your own it works out far cheaper and easier to have your own. Invest well and it will last longer and be warmer, you can use it all through the year too. 5mm is no problem in Irish summers, it's not the heat that would be the problem in the summer months it's the flexibility more than anything and the feeling of having that thickness on but if it's a budget thing than one suit should do the year.

Get a surfboard that's a beginner board or one of those NSP/Funboard types thats a little more progressive but easy to catch waves and maneuver. I've seen so many people get shortboards or more progressed boards and they can barely turn left or right as it is. It's a silly move that just leads to frustration.

It's all about enjoying it and improving steadily.:cool:

• Advertisement

Thanks for all responses. Just cannot get out of the headlock of work, studying for work and spending lots of money on photography so far.
    It seems that a soft top or some other bargain will be the only way forward. I am just waiting now what will be the new company car, if the board fits in or if the roof rack is essential. I'd love to have longer board. Sprout and Seedling are my absolutely the most favorite movies evah!
    Just a quick question, what is this plank of wood? Does it have a name? And a fin?
    JoniSternbach14.jpg
    Picture not stolen, only linked. Full gallery and article is here.
    Combines together three things I like most - people, photography and surfing.

Thanks for all responses. Just cannot get out of the headlock of work, studying for work and spending lots of money on photography so far.
    It seems that a soft top or some other bargain will be the only way forward. I am just waiting now what will be the new company car, if the board fits in or if the roof rack is essential. I'd love to have longer board. Sprout and Seedling are my absolutely the most favorite movies evah!
    Just a quick question, what is this plank of wood? Does it have a name? And a fin?
    JoniSternbach14.jpg
    Picture not stolen, only linked. Full gallery and article is here.
    Combines together three things I like most - people, photography and surfing.
    I'd say it's a tandum board. If you aren't getting out much get a long board and have fun but you will need a roof rack so get it now. You will get something up to 8 ft in to most cars.

If you have a free car on the road then you could get a cheap camper. Insurancei is 330 a year and road tax is 88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 piddles

Thonda...don't get a soft top. I've been in the water with you surfing last year and you'll have it outgrown by the summer with all your hopefully surfing this year.
    The board i got last year my 7'11'' i love it, 300 euro. Now i've been in the water four times already this week and previously the past few weeks i've been getting in and have seriously improved...:) :) Come on up, i'll give ya a go on my board, see what you think, that may help you decide. That board fits inside my car if i put my front seat down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭surfergirl92

Wet Wetsuit tip:

shtick an oul plastic bag on ur foot and itl slide right through the suit.
    Pop it onto the other foot and do the same for each hand aswell.
    Happy Surfing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 piddles

Wet Wetsuit tip:

shtick an oul plastic bag on ur foot and itl slide right through the suit.
    Pop it onto the other foot and do the same for each hand aswell.
    Happy Surfing :D

That totally does the job.... especially when ya buy a new wetsuit :)

Advertisement