Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking club week 25B: Chicken Caeser Salad

• 21-06-2010 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

As this isnt my week I have no pics, but will make it tomorrow and post them for you.

Crunchy Crispy Chicken Caesar Salad

6 chicken legs (with thighs attached if you can, with skin on yum yum)
    3 sprigs fresh rosemary
    3 tbs olive oil
    Salt & pepper
    8 -10 slices of pancetta or bacon
    1 loaf of uncut bread ripped into chunks ( I use the ciabbatta loafs that u need to cook at home, just rip them up into big chunks)
    1 Cos lettuce

Caesar Dressing
    2 or 3 anchovies (a must and it doesnt make it fishy at all)
    1 clove garlic
    1/2 a cup of olive oil
    1 tbs creame fraiche
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1 cup grated fresh parmesan

Chicken
    Peel off the leaves from the rosemary stalk and bash together with the oil, salt & pepper in a mortar & pestle.

Rub all over the chicken.

Place some extra sprigs of rosemary and the bread on the bottom of the baking tray

Place the chicken over the bread and bake until cooked and crispy at 180C (The bread will soak up all the chicken juices & oils and these will be used as the croutons in the salad)

Remove from oven, lay over the bacon, return to oven & cook until the bacon is crispy.

Caesar Dressing

Place the anchovies, a little of the anchovy oil & the garlic in a mortar and pestle and smash together well.
    Add creame fraiche,parmesan cheese and add the lemon juice. Mix well then add the oil and mix until combined & smooth.

Salad
    Place the Cos lettuce leaves into a bowl.
    Take the chicken from the oven and tear off the meat then rustically chop up with the bacon and the bread.

Mix the chicken, bacon and bread in with the Cos leaves and drizzle over the dressing,
    Sprinkle over some fresh parmesan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Here the pics:

Note I should have listed 1/2 a cup of olive oil under the caeser dressing, sorry.

GxyFJ.jpg

i86fA.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

That is a beautiful looking ceaser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Should it not be Romaine lettuce fir a Caesar Salad?

I suppose it is a bit difficult to get. Baby Gems are a nice replacement too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Hi foodaholic

Just had this now and it was lovely!

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6728

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

That looks fab Little Alex. Fair dues to you, you get to every recipe every week !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

foodaholic wrote: »
    That looks fab Little Alex. Fair dues to you, you get to every recipe every week !!

Yeah, I try to keep up!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

DSC_2256.jpg

My croutons were a bit soggy so I put them back into the oven after the chicken was cooked for 10 minutes. In case anyone was wondering I put the chicken (legs & thighs on the bone) in the oven at 180 for 45 minutes and they were nice and moist. Personally, I thought is was a bit messy pulling the chicken off the bone for a salad. Overall the flavours did work well together, thanks foodaholic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This is why I love the cooking club. It's like the best recipe book in the world. I was looking for something healthy (enough) to do with leftover roast chicken, and I spot this recipe! Will report back once it's made (in a few days, because I haven't even bought the chicken yet!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Faith wrote: »
    This is why I love the cooking club. It's like the best recipe book in the world. I was looking for something healthy (enough) to do with leftover roast chicken, and I spot this recipe! Will report back once it's made (in a few days, because I haven't even bought the chicken yet!).
    Ohh good thinking. I always make a chicken risotto with my roast chicken leftovers but I'm always looking for something else to do with the additional leftovers. This recipe would be perfect.

I love the way you can keep going back to old CC recipes for inspiration. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

So I made this last night (pretty much). I used previously roasted chicken, and just mixed it in with the cooking bacon at the end to reheat it. I bought my croutons, but I bought them from Waitrose so it was like making my own :D. The dressing was quite lumpy and never achieved a "smooth" texture because of the cheese. Over all, it was delicious! Would definitely make again :).

Here's the final (very badly photographed) result:

uMv8Qmyl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Faith wrote: »
    I bought my croutons, but I bought them from Waitrose so it was like making my own

Hehehe love it :D

Advertisement