Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anderson Silva training with The Seagull??

• 21-06-2010 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Somebody please shoot them both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Seagal will f**K you up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

"Mr. Seagal's impressive record of victories against bored stuntmen who are paid to lose makes his criticism particularly stinging." via twitter

Chael really riding the spider lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Seen this earlier :eek:

Silva actually looks quite amused with some of the moves even though they appear to hurt him. Worrying thing is if he has another headmelt like his last fight he might start messing about with some of these moves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

That was a interesting watch,

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

WHAT WAS ODD WAS ANDERSON LOOKED VERY UNCORDINATED DOING SOME OF THAT

I SUPPOSE WHAT WE CAN TAKE AWAY FROM THAT WATCH IS THERE IS STILL SOME TECHNIQUES TO BE LEARNED FROM THE MORE TRADITIONAL STYLES

WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE IF HE EVER TRIES ANY OF THAT STUFF OUT AND MAKES IT WORKS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Seagal is a legend you take that back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Seagal will f**K you up!

Not if Chuck gets to seagal 1st!

all that stuff works when you let it, different story when you resist.

Chucks spinning kicks are unstoppable!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

If anyone can improvise a bit of Aikido into an MMA fight it's Anderson. I don't see him finishing anyone with it but would love to see him try!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If Machida has taught MMA anything its that there is something to be said for "traditional" martial arts in MMA (I'm not sure when Muay Thai become "non-traditional" but lets leave that slide shall we :) )...

All the same, you just dont see these things in the octagon because no fighter worth their salt is going to leave their arm out after a strike, they'll snap it out and back and be on to the third punch in their combo while he's still *thinking* about that stylish counter.
    And the "thinking" part is important there, you dont learn new techniques months or weeks before a fight, they just arent going to be training into muscle memory and subconscious by the time the fight comes round.
    I havent trained a lot (I'm going back to Muay Thai this week in fact) but even I know that you learn a technique easily and then spend a long time making it second nature.

This is for public consumption and is mind games imho.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    If Machida has taught MMA anything its that there is something to be said for "traditional" martial arts in MMA

Machida does not fight in a karate way so in reality traditional martial arts don't come into it, he throws shapes in a karate stance etc but his real fighting is basic boxing and muay thai in the middle of his pretending to be a karate fighter, the man is extensivley trained in BJJ, Boxing, Thai and even Wrestling-the stance that he uses when just dancing is taken from karate and just a way of pretending his da made him...

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm not so sure.... I always thought his stiff-backed stance and straight-counter punch seemed right out of Kempo. I was just making the point that "traditional" MA have been around for a long long time and must still have something to offer, no?

Regardless I would question that any fighter would start changing their style at this stage before a fight and so I think this is Silva having a bit of a laugh and winding Sonnen up (as has been happening vice versa).

Oh and I think Silva will annihilate him, even on the ground but I guess we will see. (thats presuming Silva doesnt have a brain fart like last time).

DeV.

I'm not so sure.... I always thought his stiff-backed stance and straight-counter punch seemed right out of Kempo. I was just making the point that "traditional" MA have been around for a long long time and must still have something to offer, no?

i would pretty much say no-the main arts used in MMA, Wrestling, BJJ, Boxing and Thai have pretty much all the effective weapons at there disposable and more importantly in the most effective way.

other arts like Kyokushin karate, chinese boxing etc would be similar enough to muay thai in there weapons and deserve a mention and would have similar skill sets..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

No question Machida trains in all the main MMA styles and these are what he uses for the most part in the Octagon. However, he's also pulled off alot of shotokan techniques and combos to great effect.

Now that doesn't mean karate is an effective style for MMA but I think he's just one example of fighters with tradional backgrounds using their more traditional techniques to great effect. Other examples for me would be Dustin Hazelett, using some insane bjj and Jon Jones using the spinning elbow, to name a couple.

So clearly TMA do have something to offer. Be that something a little unorthodox, they can be useful.
    Of course, if you compete in MMA you gotta do MMA, but I'm glad to see a professional fighter like Silva hasn't closed his mind.

Although I'm sure he's also getting inside Sonnen's head a bit as Devore said.

Shotokan, thats what I meant, not Kempo. Thanks Charlie....

*thumps own head* Stupid head.

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭theT

StrikeForce have just announced that they are in talks with Seagal.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

theT wrote: »
    StrikeForce have just announced that they are in talks with Seagal.......

haha!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

'Aikido into an MMA fight'

It's just so ridiculous!!

Please, please, please let Strikeforce sign The Seagull.... Watching him get smashed by Fedor could only be bettered by watching him get Chuck Norris-ed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

what seagull looked to be doing looked to me more like RBSD/Krav Maga style stuff not Aikido.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Neberkenezer

hehe nice video ... would love to see chuck norris vs seagull on a main card

what seagull looked to be doing looked to me more like RBSD/Krav Maga style stuff not Aikido.

It's mostly Aikido, apart from the cranks and nose squashing.... he's a (cough cough) 7th dan or is that 8th dan :eek:

I've posted these before... but they are excellent:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

its not 'what' you train but 'how' you train. there's a reason why the average person training BJJ for a year will out grapple a japanesse jj or aikido guy who has been training 10 years. its called 'aliveness' - or at least thats what we folks in SBG call it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3r-G33oKHc

there is no 'trad' or 'modern' techniques...there is just high % and low % ones. when you take high % techniques and train them with 'aliveness' you end up with someone who can actually fight....when you do the opposite you end up with someone who looks good in a movie :p

....ah reminds me of the ol airport tkd forum....

That video is one of the simplest best descriptions of it I've heard, particularly the idea of progressive resistance (rather then immediate full resistance or worse, no resistance). Thats what I was getting at when I said that a good MMA fighter wouldnt just leave his arm out there like the sparring partner did against Seagal.

<edit> some of his other videos seem a little disrepectful though... </edit>

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

<edit> some of his other videos seem a little disrepectful though... </edit>

If you think that calling something like it is is disrespectful then I suppose they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

its not 'what' you train but 'how' you train. there's a reason why the average person training BJJ for a year will out grapple a japanesse jj or aikido guy who has been training 10 years. its called 'aliveness' - or at least thats what we folks in SBG call it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3r-G33oKHc

there is no 'trad' or 'modern' techniques...there is just high % and low % ones. when you take high % techniques and train them with 'aliveness' you end up with someone who can actually fight....when you do the opposite you end up with someone who looks good in a movie :p

So you are saying I WOULDN'T look good in a movie? :'(

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    If you think that calling something like it is is disrespectful then I suppose they are.
    I think calling all asian traditional MA "cults" and "con men" qualifies as "disrespectful" .... unless you think its true.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I think calling all asian traditional MA "cults" and "con men" qualifies as "disrespectful" .... unless you think its true.

DeV.

I most likely haven't seen the clipped you are referring to (possibly did a few years ago) but most traditional MAs I've come across (with a few exceptions) have a 'cultish' element to them and a lot of the people involved are essentially con-men or else just clueless. That's not me being disrespectful that's just reality being what it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Where legends were made!

its not 'what' you train but 'how' you train.

Except if you train Aikido!

Doesn't matter how you train it, using Aikido in a cage fight is just ridiculous... and it's missing the point! The Seagull must have missed Aikido 101.

Someone with 2 weeks of BJJ would out grapple an experienced Aikidoka... I know because I did it, and it was lots of fun (for me) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

Well dont think you can say Aikido is completely usless. As SBG said its not what you train is how you train it.

Im sure if trained properly some Aikido techniques would translate to MMA.

Personally I think wristlocks for example are very under used in grappling.

• Advertisement

Well dont think you can say Aikido is completely usless. As SBG said its not what you train is how you train it.

Im sure if trained properly some Aikido techniques would translate to MMA.

Personally I think wristlocks for example are very under used in grappling.

I don't think it's useless at all, I've been doing it for 15 years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

So why do you think using some Aikido techniques would be ridiculous?

Im just curious, I have never trained Aikido, but have been shown some wrist locks which I have pulled off in training when rolling.

So why do you think using some Aikido techniques would be ridiculous?

Im just curious, I have never trained Aikido, but have been shown some wrist locks which I have pulled off in training when rolling.

Sorry Mark, I've been away and just saw this now.... Aikido is about taking the balance and choosing not to damage the other person (that includes their wrists :) )... and it's not competitive (bar Tomiki).... so to me it's ridiculous to think about using any of the techniques in MMA.

Sure you could try and use TJJ wristlocks but they would have a low % success rate, as experienced fighters don't give their arms.

MaeveD wrote: »

Sure you could try and use TJJ wristlocks but they would have a low % success rate, as experienced fighters don't give their arms.

whats a TJJ wristlock?

a punch is a just a punch, a kick is just a kick...and a wristlock is just a wristlock. whether you'll be able to land it on a resisting opponent is decided by what training methods you use. if you've been training with Aliveness then you'll be able to land it...if you've been training with pre-set patterns and co-operating opponents then you'll look good in a movie.

Thats me being lazy: Traditional Ju Jitsu

I've never seen an MMA fight where someone has won by an Aikido/Ju Jitsu type wristlock..... have you John?

a lot in bjj/submission, cant think of one in mma - the gloves would make it hard

jacare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfjFg8rMdW8

and i think you know this guy ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIDm1tztgVc

the reason in general aikido guys cant make them work on resisting opponents and bjj guys can is because of how they train (patterns, no resistance) rather than the 'technique' itself....which is the point i've been making :)

• Advertisement

Ahhh my friend Ricky, he is an amazing Animal :D

I was talking about MMA not BJJ or Sub Grappling, I've gotten something similar to Ricks rolling.... but I didn't have to worry about someone punching the head off me!

I still don't think it makes any difference how you train Aikido, it's still ridiculous to consider it in MMA scenario, it makes no sense to me.

On a totally different subject Spiderman, you should get the July issue of Focus magazine, they do a really creepy thing with the cover, that you'll like :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

a lot in bjj/submission, cant think of one in mma - the gloves would make it hard

jacare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfjFg8rMdW8

and i think you know this guy ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIDm1tztgVc

the reason in general aikido guys cant make them work on resisting opponents and bjj guys can is because of how they train (patterns, no resistance) rather than the 'technique' itself....which is the point i've been making :)
    ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow never post those again even without a close up or a replay the pain and surprise from the two opponents.... ugh. I had my wrist fractured from an accidental wrist lock about 3 years ago. A guy went for a keylock, I bridged up to try to stretch my arm and defend and *click*... I have minor nightmares about it ever since. I hate them.

MaeveD wrote: »

On a totally different subject Spiderman, you should get the July issue of Focus magazine, they do a really creepy thing with the cover, that you'll like :eek:

thanks for the heads up, i'll pick it up! :)

Advertisement