Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning on the drums

• 21-06-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Ok for as long as i can remember i've always loved to be able to learn to play the drums! Not professionaly or anything just for recreation!

So i'm thinking of biting the bullet and starting! I have tried to learn before on a kit my brother had years ago but just when i started to get the hang of it he sold them! :rolleyes: I think i had pretty good beginners rythem though!

What i suppose i'm trying to ask is which is better overall to learn on and which is more fun?

The full proper drum kit

or

The electronic drums?

Ideally the electronic ones would be more practical (no noise disturbance and neater to fit in your house) but what are the perks of the proper drums to these ones?

Can anyone thats tried/owned them give they're opinions on them?

Oh and how often would you have to train seriously to be able to pick up the drums comfortably?

Thanks for replies....... if any! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Im not really a drummer but maybe that could be good thing in terms of advice for how much of a difference each ones make, from the perspective of a beginner. Acoustic drums are a lot nicer to play and really, just bashing the shite out of something noisy is great craic. The electric drums feel a lot different to play... Even as a novice, but have all the perks you mentioned. For learning, I've found the hardest thing about drumming is the independent movement of each limb - which you will learn just as well on either one but for learning how to control the bounce of your sticks and getting different tones off the cymbals you're better off with an acoustic set.

Oh, and if you get into drumming, chances are you'll be practising 24/7 by just bouncing your feet and hitting things with your fingers when you're bored :rolleyes:

Hope that helped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Hey, I sent ya a pm there drunkymonkey.

I did lessons on an electric kit for a while and I hated it. The feeling of an acoustic kit is more realistic and if volume is a problem, you can get mutes for those peak times when neighbours are around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've played both an electric and an acoustic kit and I didn't like the electric one at all. The feel of it is just all wrong. The response from the acoustic kit is far more natural and you can more quickly develop a feel for what you are doing. The problem is of course the noise factor of the acoustic kit and if you're living in shared accommodation or a house with crappy plasterboard walls and little or no soundproofing, an electric kit might be your only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

Oh and how often would you have to train seriously to be able to pick up the drums comfortably?

Thanks for replies....... if any! :pac:

I asked a while back about learning the drums and got some great feedback. It should be here a few months back in advice for 25 yr old drummer. Some very good advice there for learning the drums i reccomend you have a look at it. In a nutshell what i was told was you need to practice at least an hour a day, but really to progress as best you can it's more like 14 hours a week. I am inclined to agree. Also to learn a good grip and practice to a metronome. All these are really important. I am making decent progress. When i was not traveling (I am now) I would try to do an hour on a practice pad (simple routines) to a metronome while watching sports or a low-brow Tv show and an hour playing along to songs or a play along cd.

Also I find using Stone's 'Stick Control' brilliant, the first few pages. First for hands then feet and finally together, all to a metronome. You can download the Pdf easy.

That lad is right about tapping and hitting things- i wreck everyone's head these days. You will also be developing an ability to play the djembe without realising it, as the movement it almost identical to practicing on a pad or snare.;)How bad.

I am only new to drums myself but i have taken it very seriously so if you have any questions about beginning drums feel free to ask as i may have come across it and it's still fresh in my memory.

Don't forget to use earplugs, warm-up a bit before and learn theory!

Jack.
    yer man is also right, beating the **** of drums is brilliant craic. I've never played electronic drums, but as they say with dampening stuff you don't need it i don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

I asked a while back about learning the drums and got some great feedback. It should be here a few months back in advice for 25 yr old drummer. Some very good advice there for learning the drums i reccomend you have a look at it. In a nutshell what i was told was you need to practice at least an hour a day, but really to progress as best you can it's more like 14 hours a week. I am inclined to agree. Also to learn a good grip and practice to a metronome. All these are really important. I am making decent progress. When i was not traveling (I am now) I would try to do an hour on a practice pad (simple routines) to a metronome while watching sports or a low-brow Tv show and an hour playing along to songs or a play along cd.

Also I find using Stone's 'Stick Control' brilliant, the first few pages. First for hands then feet and finally together, all to a metronome. You can download the Pdf easy.

That lad is right about tapping and hitting things- i wreck everyone's head these days. You will also be developing an ability to play the djembe without realising it, as the movement it almost identical to practicing on a pad or snare.;)How bad.

I am only new to drums myself but i have taken it very seriously so if you have any questions about beginning drums feel free to ask as i may have come across it and it's still fresh in my memory.

Don't forget to use earplugs, warm-up a bit before and learn theory!

Jack.
    yer man is also right, beating the **** of drums is brilliant craic. I've never played electronic drums, but as they say with dampening stuff you don't need it i don't think.

Brilliant advice everyone thanks for replying!!

Found the thread here gonna give it a good read when im finished work!

It will be a while yet before i start as in a small apartment at the moment but will be moving in 6 months to a house, so i might take you up on that offer asking stuff Jack! :D

What size kit would be good to start off on, basic symbols and drums or more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dave hingerty

electronic drums are fine if you invest over e2000 to get any real quality. you rarely see them in rehearsals or a live situation so its an expensive way to practice....therefore acoustic drums with dampening systems are better.
    im a professional drummer and i run the Irish Drum Academy. im doing a special intensive summer drum course in Xmusic on saturdays. if anyone is interested or you just want some free drum advice contact irishdrumacademy@gmail.com.
    in the meantime www.drummerworld.com is an amazing drum website. check it out. every kind of footage and lesson from your favourite drummers.

Brilliant advice everyone thanks for replying!!

Found the thread here gonna give it a good read when im finished work!

It will be a while yet before i start as in a small apartment at the moment but will be moving in 6 months to a house, so i might take you up on that offer asking stuff Jack! :D

What size kit would be good to start off on, basic symbols and drums or more?

I just thought i'd finish my original thought and remind you that you can be doing great practice now on a pad or a pillow without owning a drum kit. Don't forget that, if it hasn't occured to you.

I have to reiterate i am a newbie also, so no expert here. I do, however, regret that i never realised i could have practiced the drums without the drums: i stilll do more than 50% away from the drums. Sticks; metronome; pillow. It well documented that practicing on a pillow helps build your muscles better than a snare or pad, as they have a realistic bounce, and clearly a pillow doesn't.:D

I got a Pearl forum: cheap as Fuk but not a bad thing. Got mine second hand from Adverts.ie with zildjgan newish cymbals- paid 250. it origionally comesorigional has a crash/ride, and it's crap, so i'd avoid that, or if you buying second hand try to get them to throw in a ride with it. the one i got needed new skins, that's all. A good starter kit though i have to upgrade mine soon. To answer you question a five piece is grand, I believe. The less you start with the better you'll learn the fundamentals, as someone told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

dont use pillows for anything other that arm strokes , and wrist strokes at a push
    ( ie big strokes )

its best not to use pillows for delicate and speedy stuff, as you will over develop the fast twitch muscle in the hands and fingers and in reality slow yourself down eventually .

use a pad for fast stuff

and pillows for bigger stuff like rolls around toms etc to work on your endurance, swing and power.

you can put a layer or two of towel on a pad to work the fast muscle ,
    and remove some of the bounce

but dont use a pillow to work the small hand muscles , or at least keep it to a minimum.

also note that using just and ekit will not develop the power you need to project on a real kit , as they are way to easy to play so make sure you get some real kit time in your practise sessions.

DaDumTish wrote: »
    dont use pillows for anything other that arm strokes , and wrist strokes at a push
    ( ie big strokes )

its best not to use pillows for delicate and speedy stuff, as you will over develop the fast twitch muscle in the hands and fingers and in reality slow yourself down eventually .

use a pad for fast stuff

and pillows for bigger stuff like rolls around toms etc to work on your endurance, swing and power.

you can put a layer or two of towel on a pad to work the fast muscle ,
    and remove some of the bounce

but dont use a pillow to work the small hand muscles , or at least keep it to a minimum.

also note that using just and ekit will not develop the power you need to project on a real kit , as they are way to easy to play so make sure you get some real kit time in your practise sessions.

Sound I was definitely overdoing the pillow thing so, thanks for the feedback, I honestly thought using the pillows had no adverse effect, but i'll try to use them and a towel and pad most effectively from now on.

Advertisement