Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did i make a mistake?

• 21-06-2010 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Well I just went out and got a bike, a Trek 7.3 fx hybrid. But as I cycle more and more, I'm enjoying it all the time and I'd like to get into it. Even after only 15 miles my wrists were getting sore from the flat bars.
    Should I have gotten a road bike?
    What can I do about it now?
    Is there any way I can change the bars to drop bars? If I do get into it more, which I think I will, should I make any other changes/can I for longer rides? (like wheels etc.)
    :confused:

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help that you can offer. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

I'd have recommended a road bike if I knew you were planning to do long spins but a hybrid should do you fine.

Changing to drop bars is difficult and expensive. I'd recommend that you simply get yourself a pair of bar-ends. They should help your wrists by providing an extra position for your hands for those times when you don't need to have your fingers next to the brakes. Drop bars are better as they provide a much greater variety of hand/body positions but that's for your next bike! I'd also recommend you check out some articles on bike fit / position as it can take a fair bit of adjusting to get a new bike set up comfortably for you.

At this stage, I wouldn't worry about upgrading wheels just for the sake of it. Get better ones if/when the old wheels are no longer repairable. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Everyone says that one of the advantages of dropped bars is the variety of hand positions, but I don't think that at the distance you're covering it would be an issue. I have flat bars with bullhorn type things on the end for variety and these grips http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP4003.aspx?utm_source%3dinternal%26utm_medium%3dsite%26utm_campaign%3dDDI
    which you can pick up in your lbs for €10

I cycled 80k odd on Saturday with no discomfort in my hands or arms. It's more likely that your body just needs to get used to cycling? A good set of padded cycling gloves should help too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

You could try a set of bar end grips.
    I think they are more comfortable than holding the bars for long periods, and give a more natural position for your wrists and elbows.
    Some here.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=199

• Registered Users Posts: 30 badgerpm

Okay thanks guys! So basically I'm okay for the moment and should consider getting bar ends, untill I feel I need a whole new bike. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

badgerpm wrote: »
    Okay thanks guys! So basically I'm okay for the moment and should consider getting bar ends, untill I feel I need a whole new bike. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.:)

I just got a 7.5FX, it has Ergo Grips as yours does. I got a pair of bar ends thrown in with the sale but could'nt bring myself to bodge about with the grips to fit the end bars as I found the grips extremely comfortable (as compared to my old 7.5 & 4000 MTB with round grips). I do find the upright position does put more stress on the hands / elbows and I'm not an acomplished cyclist but I did adjust the saddle to give me a longer leg extension and lower position. This & relaxing the grip / cycling with arms slightly bent seems to work for me.

fbp.

• Advertisement
Advertisement