Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How to get an engineer report?

• 21-06-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking at getting my camper van insurre (It was converted by myself).
    And the insurance would like to see a report enginer.

Could somebody explain to me what they do ? How much will it cost me ?
    And where I can find a list of those guy ?

cheers
    Superfly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

It's been done loads of times, try the search function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kenn81

loobylou wrote: »
    It's been done loads of times, try the search function.

Not very helpful.

An Engineers Report is carried out by a SIMI (http://www.simi.ie/) registered garage in the case of Dolmen Insurance or a Main dealer in the case of Stuarts Insurance. The Engineers report is like a DOE for a camper, checking brakes, lights, suspension etc.. THis report will cost you €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

This is a very bad news. I thought I was done with all those DOE, NCT :(

Did they need this engineer report every year?
    Can you fail it? Is they a retest like DOE and all.

Thanks a million for the response. :D I know now were I am.
    Kenn81 wrote: »
    Not very helpful.

An Engineers Report is carried out by a SIMI (http://www.simi.ie/) registered garage in the case of Dolmen Insurance or a Main dealer in the case of Stuarts Insurance. The Engineers report is like a DOE for a camper, checking brakes, lights, suspension etc.. THis report will cost you €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You only need the engineers report once, when you first insure your camper

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

superfly35 wrote: »
    This is a very bad news. I thought I was done with all those DOE, NCT :(

Did they need this engineer report every year?
    Can you fail it? Is they a retest like DOE and all.

Thanks a million for the response. :D I know now were I am.

when i got my engineers report last year the DOE garage i first brought it to refused to test it because i had no cert for the windows.

i then went to a local SIMI garage who tested it for 50euro .. and fixed the brake lines that needed repairing. In all it cost me approx 200euro for the test plus repairs.

A SIMI garage is your best option imo. Just make sure the engineers report is stamped and that you have proof that the garage is SIMI registered, i had an invoice with me from the garage that had the SIMI logo and this was all i needed.

SOP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

So if I fully understand a SIMI garage, is a usual garage which as a special agreement to also do report engineer, isn't it?

I got the camper van, tested by a DOE center in last November as it was still a commercial vehicule back then.
    Are they testing the same list?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

superfly35 wrote: »
    So if I fully understand a SIMI garage, is a usual garage which as a special agreement to also do report engineer, isn't it?

I got the camper van, tested by a DOE center in last November as it was still a commercial vehicule back then.
    Are they testing the same list?
    A SIMI garage is just a garage that is registered with SIMI (society of irish motor industry), you can find a list of garages on the SIMI website. http://www.simi.ie/memberSearch.aspx

The engineers report is usually a form provided by the insurance company and is different to the DOE test, but i'm not sure what the differences are. I downloaded the Dolmen report from their website and then brought it to the SIMI garage, they filled it in and stamped it. I then brought the report into Dolmen. Job done. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

http://www.vehicletesting.ie/247/m50-truck-and-van-centre/profile.html

These guys do a "campervan special". service and testing for 200 or 300 two different prices and services A and B dunno the difference.

Advertisement