Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glass blocks

• 21-06-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

we're thinking of building one wall out of glass blocks for our shower and put a shower door on it

the shops are recommending to build it using a mortar instead of using silicone and wondering anyone who has done it this way have a problem of the mortar discolouring or got molds like the grout. would it be easy to maintain the mortar?

the cheapest i could find at the moment is the glass blocks in b&q (E3.20) and wondering if there's any difference with quality compared to other shops whose price range from E7.00-10.00

would appreciate any replies on this

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

angelmum wrote: »
    we're thinking of building one wall out of glass blocks for our shower and put a shower door on it

the shops are recommending to build it using a mortar instead of using silicone and wondering anyone who has done it this way have a problem of the mortar discolouring or got molds like the grout. would it be easy to maintain the mortar?

the cheapest i could find at the moment is the glass blocks in b&q (E3.20) and wondering if there's any difference with quality compared to other shops whose price range from E7.00-10.00

would appreciate any replies on this

thanks

Mac's Salvage down at Islandbridge had some good quality glass blocks in as a joblot. 2.50 per block (190mmx190mm) in Standard/Green/Blue/Red (iirc).

I built a small ope using sand/cement mortar using a suitable grout to finish. I can't imagine the open structure of ordinary mortar would hold up well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

how are you going to mount the shower door to these blocks?

i would not recommend drilling into it. and you may want to construct a frame to support the door. and take this frame into account when measuring the lenght of the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BROWNE51

**note to any mods/readers,I have a vested interest in this area**

Glass blocks should typically be fitted in an area where they are supported on 4 sides(window ope/door ope..etc),or at least 3 sides(floor/wall &ceiling).
    In your situation,you cannot connect the new shower door to the glass blocks directly(if a warranty is an issue!!),a post must be used,something 80mm wide x whatever mm suits you.Then you can build the blocks up to it on one side and fix the shower door to the other side of the post.If possible in your space,maybe you could get the shower door hinged on the opposite side and then fit to the wall directly.
    Another thing,using a rods and mortar system you are going to be left with an exposed end(where you intended hinging the door),either way you would have to finish this.You could use end blocks but these tend to be expensive and you still have the same issue with the hinging of the door.

Regarding the price,there are many people selling blocks from €2.50 +,but,sometimes you can get mixed advice when it comes to fitting them and the advice prior to building with them can save you money in the long run or help you decide on another option as what you want to do may not be practical or cost effective for you.
    Let me know if you need any advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Glass blocks are glass bocks, nothing wrong with B&Q glass blocks.

I have a glass block shower screen, 5mm joint white mastic, aluminium horizontal 5mm strips screwed to wall. 5mm vertical strips. lots of clear mastic to bond all together. German glass block.

IMO Building a frame is the only way you can hang a door. The frame will strengthen the glass block wall.

I have a glass block window - 10mm grout joint. Used waterproof exterior Roadstone grout. 5mm stainless steel vertical & horizontal bars. Can be messy so good patient bricklayer required! It can be easy to scratch glass blocks if excess mortar/grout dries - so wash blocks regularly during installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭angelmum

thanks you all for your very helpful advises. i'm glad i've asked on this forum as 2 glass blocks sellers told us that its ok to drill and attach the shower door on the glass blocks. we'll just probably get a hinged door and attach it on one wall or much better build a frame on the blocks or just make a wetroom will discuss this to my other half.

again thanks for all your comments

• Advertisement
Advertisement