Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unprotected oral

Options
  • 21-06-2010 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi
    A guy performed oral on me at weekend and i came in his mouth - dont really know the guy - just one of those things:mad:

What are risks of me catching/picking up something from unprotected oral and coming in his mouth

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Depends if he swallowed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Stark wrote: »
    Depends if he swallowed or not.

he is asking about himself not the guy that gave him oral :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 CheekyChops

Yes - he did swallow it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭LGiamani

Why didnt you pull out early and I hope you looked after him afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

You probably have more of a chance of getting in a car crash on the way to the STI clinic to get checked...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 CheekyChops

Thanks for the replies
    Yep - know should have pulled out before he came - but came unexpected

So minimal risk of me catching/picking up something from having done this and having come in his mouth - right?

Should i go for std test just to be on safe side and if so how long would i need to wait before getting it done to allow for something to show up

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are some things you can get like thrush, Gonorrhea and chlamydia if he has them and you don't need to have cum for it to happen, if those strains of bacteria were in his mouth all it can take is mouth to penis contact.

The risk from hiv contact would be small he'd have to be positive and to be bleeding at the time from the gums or an ulcer in his mouth, he was on the bigger end of the scale of risk with that type of sexual contact but you still may have contacted something.

The bacterial sti thankfully are testable and treatable and you can be cured of them
    the problem is some people can have it and have none symptoms, you can have it and not have any of the sore itchy drippys assocated with having an sti but it can be still damaging your health.

Different ones have different incubation periods.

http://www.stdresource.com/concern/c1_d_3_a.php
    Window periods and limitations of STD testing
    STD testing requires some time between when a person is infected and when the test can be expected to identify the infection. These are called window periods or incubation periods. They vary from a few days to 6 months. During incubation or window periods, an infected person can transmit the disease to someone else. The window period if you are doing a blood test tends to be longer than for other tests, as they are for the most part testing the person's immune response rather than for the "bug" itself. Remember with STD testing that you can still develop the infection after the tests are taken. A person could, therefore, have received recent negative test results yet still have an infection that could be transmitted to others. Also, while tests are mostly accurate they can be falsely negative and very occasionally, falsely positive.

How do I know when the window period begins and ends?
    It can be difficult at the beginning of a relationship to have to question each other about previous sexual contacts. Most people, therefore, choose the time they decided to be mutually monogamous as the time to consider as the beginning of the window period.

If neither partner has had any sexual contact for 6 months or more, some couples decide the window period began 6 months before they met and ends at the time they met. They then choose not to retest. This is safe as long as both partners have really not had sex for 6 months or more.

Another option in order to cover these window period is to identify your last contact with a previous sex partner and take that as the starting point for calculating the time to retest. Even if you were with that partner for a long time, select the last time that you had sexual contact with that person as the beginning of the window period. STDs are not necessarily passed every time an infected person has sex with a partner: it could happen any time. Therefore, to be safe, consider the last sexual contact the time to start the clock running for the window period.

Specific STD Window Periods

Gonorrhea
    The incubation period for Gonorrhea is usually 2 to 7 days.

Chlamydia
    The incubation period for Chlamydia is usually 2 to 6 weeks, but can be longer.

Syphilis
    The incubation period for Syphilis is usually 10 to 90 days.

HIV
    The window period for HIV is usually 2 weeks to 3 months, but could be up to 6 months.

Hepatitis A
    The incubation period for Hepatitis A is 15 to 50 days.

Hepatitis B
    The incubation period for Hepatitis B is usually 45-180 days, with an average of 60 to 90 days.

Hepatitis C
    The incubation period for Hepatitis C ranges from 2 weeks to 6 months - commonly, 6 to 9 weeks.

Talk with your partner about herpes & warts
    There are no tests for genital warts and herpes tests are not necessarily useful. Herpes cultures require an active lesion to be present and herpes blood tests do not indicate whether the infection is genital or oral. Most people test positive on herpes blood tests because they were exposed to the virus orally as a child. It is therefore a good idea to discuss these 2 diseases with any new partner. Have you or your partner ever had genital herpes or cold sores on the mouth? Have either of you ever had genital warts diagnosed? Both of these diseases are common and having had either or both should not necessarily interfere with your relationship. Discussing these 2 diseases early in a relationship can reduce the chance of transmission.

Test later
    As the incubation period for Chlamydia is up to 6 weeks, you can test at or after 6 weeks from the start of your relationship. It makes sense to test for gonorrhea at the same time. The blood tests - syphilis, HIV and possibly hepatitis - can be taken at 3 months. Most results would show up on an HIV and hepatitis test within 3 months of infection, but these tests can be repeated 6 months into the relationship to fully cover the window period.

Stopping the use of condoms
    One reason couples seek STD testing is so that they can safely stop using condoms. You need to test to cover the window periods for the diseases and make sure any issues concerning herpes and warts have been resolved. Heterosexual couples who are not intending to start a family need to find an alternative form of contraception.

Many people wish to stop using condoms as soon as possible. As the romance intensifies and people feel more comfortable with each other, it is easy to start to feel that this partner could not possibly have an STD and condoms are an unnecessary barrier. However when the relationship is over - sometimes not too long afterwards - many people will regret the decision to have unprotected sex. To reduce STD infections, it is best to reduce the number of lifetime contacts, in particular, unprotected contacts. The longer you use condoms the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Thanks for the replies
    Yep - know should have pulled out before he came - but came unexpected

So minimal risk of me catching/picking up something from having done this and having come in his mouth - right?

Should i go for std test just to be on safe side and if so how long would i need to wait before getting it done to allow for something to show up

Thanks

Do you often come unexpectedly?

Realistically, you should get checked every 6 months or whatever anyway!....just to be sure

Early detection for everything is vital.

Advertisement