Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite guitar picks?

• 21-06-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hey all, just wondering what are your favoured guitar picks to use. For me, when i'm playing hard and fast its a thick gator grip or a thick 'Tiki Taboo' dunlop pick. If i'm playing softly then its the grey dunlop .88 pick. So what about yourselves? Any particular pick that you use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

.88 same as you.

Coin for bass :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I use sevral depending on the mood :P

.88 dunlops, jazz III's, Big stubbys, and black ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

have a bunch of the .88 grey dunlops, but my fav is this red .78 dunlop one i have.

have a bunch or the tortoice ones too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Dunlop .88s
    Great minds think alike:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Dunlop 1.0 for guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Currently I use:

4700_NYLON_JAZZ_3_PICK-ed8f25d140ace2ebe3f21f651a29ec8b.jpg

But I have been meaning to try a Red Bear pick, just cant bring myself to pay $20 for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

dunlop 1.0 nylons... the black ones

and anything from .50mm up to the 1.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Dunlop standard nylons, generally .73, though my favourite "wallet spare" is a .60 that's stiffer than the .73s.

I also shave them down to give them a rounder profile...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Dunlop nylon .88 or tortex .73 (yellow one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

On bass I mostly use my fingers but occasionally I'll use the same pick that I used for the guitar which is a black 1.0mm Dunlop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

A few different Pickboy ones...

Why do Red Bear ones cost that much!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Either .88 or .73 on the guitar and 1.0 on bass.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Why do Red Bear ones cost that much!?

Because they are hand made from their own original material. Normally I would dismiss such marketing claims but a lot of serious guitar players are endorsing them like Dweezil Zappa, Dave Weiner and Guthrie Govan.

Mataguri wrote: »
    Because they are hand made from their own original material. Normally I would dismiss such marketing claims but a lot of serious guitar players are endorsing them like Dweezil Zappa, Dave Weiner and Guthrie Govan.

I just know i'd lose mine within a week if i bought one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

Has to be Tortex!! :D:D

As for gauge, .73mm or .88mm, its all good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

The max grip Jazz III :

1246323368_Max_Grip_JazzIII_250x190.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Jazz IIIs. They're excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

I've read a lot about people praising the Jazz 3's. What makes them appealing? How do they feel to use and could you use them for both hard and soft strumming?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Whatever I've dug out of the washing machine's filter in the past month is generally what I'd use.
    I go through them too fast to have a favourite - generally the popular Dunlop .88 comes out for acoustic strumming, 1.0 for lead stuff, and big fat stubbys if I fancy using one for Bass, though I dont generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

V picks small pointed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

I've read a lot about people praising the Jazz 3's. What makes them appealing? How do they feel to use and could you use them for both hard and soft strumming?

I used to use them all the time though while strumming I find they give a more washy tone as opposed to playing with a Dunlop .88.

I find the size and thickness allow for faster more accurate playing as you get used to it, really depends on the style your playing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

dem blue ones. i like dem ones. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Dava Rock Control picks are my favourite for guitar.

DavaRockControlCelluloidGuitarPick3Pack.jpg

On bass I use my fingers 95% of the time and the rest it's usually some Dunlop Tortex picks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I'm a dunlop nylon 1mm man now, I've worked my way up from .60s. I like messing with other plecs though, I like the Davas and the Jazz ones but also delrin planet waves and pearloid yolks like martin ones. I sometimes just use the back of my fingernails on bass to get the effect too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

dunlop 1.14mm on my guitar. havn't used any other pick that i love using as much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

1.0 Black dunlop picks .

Using them for years now . Always break anything less than 1.0 and cant stand anything more than 1.0 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I usually use Peavey .50, I got a bunch of Peavey picks when I got my first guitar, and I've stuck with the .50. I've tried out Jim Dunlops (.88) but rarely use them. I'm thinking of trying out new picks - any suggestions? Are the Dunlop Tortex any good/cheap ish?

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I'm thinking of trying out new picks - any suggestions? Are the Dunlop Tortex any good/cheap ish?
    Go for the 1mm Dunlops, I find they are stiff enough for precise playing but not too stiff that you feel like your guitar strings are about to break.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Anyone find that plecs turn in their hand after a while and you end up picking with the top of the plec?
    This happens to me all the time, and it's ok if you're belting out chords, but when you want to pick out notes it can sound muddy.
    I suspect it's because my hands can get sweaty, so grip on the plec is reduced.
    any recommendations on what type of plec might help prevent this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Gaspode wrote: »
    Anyone find that plecs turn in their hand after a while and you end up picking with the top of the plec?
    This happens to me all the time, and it's ok if you're belting out chords, but when you want to pick out notes it can sound muddy.

I find that Gator grip plecs from dunlop have good grip properties even when your hands are sweaty. Maybe you should try them.

What I end up doing is just periodically turning the pick so that it points the correct way as much as possible. Just be careful not to drop it :)

I must check out those Gator grip picks.

This never happens to me! I'd be gripping the plectrum pretty hard though, and the dunlops have a good grip.

This never happens to me! I'd be gripping the plectrum pretty hard though, and the dunlops have a good grip.
    If anything I probably grip the pick too softly :). I went through a phase a few years ago of having both the pick and the guitar neck in a deathgrip which led naturally to quite a bit of hand pain. I forced myself to learn to grip the guitar neck with the minimum amount of pressure necessary to get the notes to ring out cleanly. I also did the same thing with my picking hand with the result that the pick moves a bit. I also have a tendency to alter my grip depending on what I'm playing e.g. if I'm blasting out a Fear Factory riff, I'll have a lot less of the pick appearing between my fingers than if I am playing a clean part or something.

Advertisement