Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bikes for C&C

• 21-06-2010 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

I was wandering through the Phoenix park yesterday and there was a bmx stunt bike exhibition on as part of Bike week. So I took a few shot with my new D90 and my trusty 50mm 1.4. I've never really shot "action" stuff before and it took me a while to figure out a suitable focusing mode - so quite a few weren't as sharp as I'd like. Anyhow the following are for C&C

thanks!

4722041511_9d30fda99d_b.jpg

4722691428_3588cf0cd7_b.jpg

4722040149_8be083dddb_b.jpg

4722692850_7b58a65085_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

There is no context to them, relating to what they are doing, where they are and the crops are very restrictive. I shoot BMX for a living (sometimes) and the topic of skate/bmx photography comes up all the time (usually around this time of the year with Kings of Concrete going on and bike week).

Another thing to consider is you aren't aware of what the people on the bikes are doing as you don't ride BMX or know/understand the tricks or the "crucial moment" of when to release the shutter. Unless you know the riders it is hard to get that sort of access (if access is the right word).

Wide crops would have worked better on these shots. I know those ramps well too. I've popped my shoulder out twice riding them :(

Here are some shots where I've known the riders, had good "access" and asked for specific tricks to be shot and being aware of the tricks and timing I'm able to get my composition and timing right on the exposure.

3917923544_622b82497a.jpg

3964711678_39cf8482ff.jpg

3386499804_4ff21c967e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

thanks for the tips Pete!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I agree with above- too tight, don't see their environment/ramps etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the first is definitely my favourite. nice and simple, and kinda incongruous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

pete4130 wrote: »
    There is no context to them, relating to what they are doing, where they are and the crops are very restrictive. I shoot BMX for a living (sometimes) and the topic of skate/bmx photography comes up all the time (usually around this time of the year with Kings of Concrete going on and bike week).

Another thing to consider is you aren't aware of what the people on the bikes are doing as you don't ride BMX or know/understand the tricks or the "crucial moment" of when to release the shutter. Unless you know the riders it is hard to get that sort of access (if access is the right word).

Wide crops would have worked better on these shots. I know those ramps well too. I've popped my shoulder out twice riding them :(

Here are some shots where I've known the riders, had good "access" and asked for specific tricks to be shot and being aware of the tricks and timing I'm able to get my composition and timing right on the exposure.

3917923544_622b82497a.jpg

3964711678_39cf8482ff.jpg

3386499804_4ff21c967e.jpg

Pete who do you shoot for?

And where do you ride?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I mainly shoot for DIG BMX magazine on and off. I'm living in London now so not shooting as much even though there is a bigger scene over here. The city/work/lifestyle doesn't allow for so much free time sadly.

Back in Ireland I rode with all the local guys I've known for 10-11 years and all the usual spots in the city, any new spots and the local skateparks (Bushy, Greystones, Donaghmede, Cabra, Swords) and some of the guys mainly ride trails.

For a good idea of whats going on with the Irish scene check out www.theboardroom.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

pete4130 wrote: »
    I mainly shoot for DIG BMX magazine on and off. I'm living in London now so not shooting as much even though there is a bigger scene over here. The city/work/lifestyle doesn't allow for so much free time sadly.

Back in Ireland I rode with all the local guys I've known for 10-11 years and all the usual spots in the city, any new spots and the local skateparks (Bushy, Greystones, Donaghmede, Cabra, Swords) and some of the guys mainly ride trails.

For a good idea of whats going on with the Irish scene check out www.theboardroom.ie

I've seen your stuff in Dig before I think, Recognise the style anyway. I lived in Donaghmede for 11 years and moved out of it to wexford a year before they built the park. I ride street more than anything now, not really into the whole park scene.

Advertisement