Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Meteor texting at ridiculous hours

Options
  • 21-06-2010 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, so I saw in a thread that someone said cold calling is not permitted after 9pm, so I wondered what my mum's rights on this following issue are -

My mum is with Meteor pre-pay, same as myself. Meteor text her at least once per week, usually more, with information on offers and such. Problem is, she mostly gets these texts between 3am and 6am. My mum is physically disabled and as such she has to keep her mobile on because if she is having a "bad" night, she needs to be able to call me to come into her room and watch over her. So, switching off the mobile isn't an option.

I get SOME of the same texts myself, although only about once a month, usually at midnight or some stupid time like that. I don't really care because I'm usually awake anyway til about 4am, but it's waking my mother up every single time.

She has called meteor customer services numerous times and has asked politely and then demanded that they take her off their texting list. They refuse to admit that the texts are sent that late at night and also say that they can't take her off the list because it's all computerized or some ridiculous excuse like that.

What are her rights here? I emailed them with a complaint about something else a year ago and they told me they'd get back to me shortly and then proceeded to ignore my further emails when they didn't get back to me. It's not like she can call 1905 at 3am when she gets the texts because their customer services is only open til 6pm or something now.

Oh btw, when she registered her account online, she opted to have her offers sent by post, not text. She has asked them about 6 times on different calls to stop texting her and take her off the mailing list, but they keep saying they can't and not giving her a valid reason as to why.

I know it's not cold calling, but I suppose you could call it cold texting :P Anyone know what her rights are or what she should do? I presume a letter sent by registered post but she's spent enough money calling them as it is to tell them to take her off the mailing list.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They must take her name off their text lists. I would be contacting the data protection commissioner to make a formal complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Thanks :) Would she need to have names and such of the people that refused to take her off the list? I would presume she'd need proof that she actually asked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not really. The good people at the DPC will contact meteor and make sure the number is removed from those lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Brilliant :) thanks a million :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hopefully they will have broken some rules they can be fined for...... I can live in hope :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    My mum is with Meteor pre-pay, same as myself. Meteor text her at least once per week, usually more, with information on offers and such. Problem is, she mostly gets these texts between 3am and 6am. My mum is physically disabled and as such she has to keep her mobile on because if she is having a "bad" night, she needs to be able to call me to come into her room and watch over her. So, switching off the mobile isn't an option.

Put the phone on silent mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Just call Meteor, demand to talk with their Data Protection person and then politely but firmly tell them that you want off the marketing list!

Guarantee you that will work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Yeah she must have been signed up to something unknowingly at some point, I rarely got many texts from them, but you're right, when I did, they were sometimes at very odd hours

Advertisement