Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post your routes!!

• 22-06-2010 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I was wondering if people could post routes they take to cycle around dublin? I've been doing laps of phoenix park and its pretty and all, but am thinking I'd like to think about tackling something more adventurous - could I be ready for the famous "Sally Gap" wherever the heck it is?

Did 20k around phoenix park today and was quite tired at the end of it, so methinks the answer is "no."

However having some routes would give me something to train for.

Here's my route from today, can people (if they have them stored) post similar mapped routes so I can start off on some?

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/dublin/535127714258837571

Quite keen to do this by myself as i don't want to hold others back.

Thanks folks! And did anyone see me? Red bike, straight bars (!), green "An Post" cycling cap?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3825253

I'm more of a commuter but last month I was cycling in to UCD and just decided to go for a wander, which is one of the best things you can do on a bike I think. Route takes in the Dodder and some great sea views at Blackrock and theres a great cycle track that brings you along to Booterstown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Specifically if anyone has a nice one from the tescos on Prussia St. to Howth.... :D

Oh hey thats a nice one Delta - whats it like in terms of hills/flats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Ah its fairly gentle. Lovely downhill at Newtownpark Ave going into Blackrock and mostly flat. Cant think of a hilly area at all on the route really

Am liking it so far.

Any 100k-ers reading care to drop something in? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

I tend to do this every 2nd evening. Nice cycle lanes all the way out as far as Sutton with the exception of the entrance to Bull Island to the rear of St. Anne's Park.

A bit repetitive I know but I'm happy with it for now!

My Route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

Hills are good to focus the mind..I do this route a few times a week and twice if I have the time...of course you have to factor in getting there...but very doable for anyone on dublin's south side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

@GerardDuff,

you copy/pasta'd my route!

Ok, just realised that, thanks.... first time using that google maps thing. Sorted now.

A couple spins up that route and you're ready for Sally Gap.

There's a good extension to this if you go 1km past the viewing point (top of climb in linked map) and take a sharp right...the road there is very smooth and is a better descent than going back down Cruagh. The smoother road leads to Boharnabeena at the back of Firhouse/Old Bawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

What about Stoneybatter to Killiney? Down North Circular across Casey bridge to Pearse and then out the coast up Vico and Victoria Road, victory pint in Druids Chair and then home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭happy_73

Can Cork fellas play too? :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/36964383

Nice spin for lunchtime, no major climbs. Wouldn't mind seeing other routes around the Cork area.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Greystones from south circular rd up the caneles out through Ballsbridge Blackrock Dun Laoghaire through Bray into Graystones a long one but very enjoyable along the cost line:):):)

Todays ride for me - found I had nothing in the legs really once I'd left (longer ride yesterday, few beers and whiskeys last night to blame?)

Weirdly though, by the end of it i'd found my legs again and felt I could have gone on forever, although not really at pace. Had to get home for work though so packed it in after what I figured would be about 20k

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/phoenix%20park%20dublin%20ireland/241127720561692091

SubLuminal wrote: »
    Todays ride for me - found I had nothing in the legs really once I'd left (longer ride yesterday, few beers and whiskeys last night to blame?)

Weirdly though, by the end of it i'd found my legs again and felt I could have gone on forever, although not really at pace. Had to get home for work though so packed it in after what I figured would be about 20k

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/phoenix%20park%20dublin%20ireland/241127720561692091
    My mate and I did a similar route as that today. Going anti-clockwise up Chesterfield ave. then left at Farmleigh and back around to your flag no.1. We passed a guy in Discovery team kit at the Chapelizod gate going right onto military road. There were lots of cyclists doing laps. Great day for it.
    Anyway, we averaged 32.5kmph for the 5 (8km) laps. That was pretty much threshold pace for us...without doing any scientific measurements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 baap86

I hug the coast 3 - 4 times a week. Fairview - Clontarf - Sutton - Baldoyle - Portmarnock - Malahide and then down the Old Airport Road. Approx 36km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

What time of day? I tend to do similar (north from Swords towards Skerries though) in the early mornings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 baap86

cdaly_ wrote: »
    What time of day? I tend to do similar (north from Swords towards Skerries though) in the early mornings...

Usually after work so around 6ish.
    I live in Swords too so for shorter cycles tend to go Swords - Howth and back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

this one is from three weeks before. i work in leixlip so cycled down to work on saturday for 4 hours and then went for a little trip after
    google maps

Advertisement