Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New white cameras mounted on Traffic Lights?

• 22-06-2010 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I have noticed new white cameras being mounted on but beside traffic lights around Dublin. They seem to be all weather CCTV cameras with infra red LED's around the lense. Does anyone know what these are for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Demonon

To catch ppl breaking the red lights I'd imagine. I've seen one at the lights on the right hand side of kevin st college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

What's the story when you break the lights anyway,what happens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

sounds like ANPR for congestion charges or just so the man can keep tabs on you.:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

baaaa wrote: »

It's an offence and you can be prosecuted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Chippy01

You get free tickets to the next Garda Ball. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the truck coming the other way squashes you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Similar cameras appeared at junctions in central London years ago, they were put up to monitor traffic entering the congestion charge zone, now the city is full of them and every move you make is monitored.
    Its said you can not drive anywhere in London without been monitored on a camera.
    Is it the start of big brother is watching you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Hi,

While it is pretty crazy that there is cameras at every junction in London and that you can't drive anywhere without being monitored, there are some good technological advances that can be employed at busy junctions now such as pedestrian detection.

I bet everyone here has been pissed off by some little b**tard pressing the button on the crossing at a really busy junction only to stay walking on the path they are on, this can be stopped by monitoring the area around the junction to ensure that the pedestrian stays in the area for a set amount of time before the pedestrian crossing activates to allow them to cross the road. There are a lot of other uses too but I can't think of them right now off the top of my head.

TheSegal wrote: »
    Hi,

While it is pretty crazy that there is cameras at every junction in London and that you can't drive anywhere without being monitored, there are some good technological advances that can be employed at busy junctions now such as pedestrian detection.

I bet everyone here has been pissed off by some little b**tard pressing the button on the crossing at a really busy junction only to stay walking on the path they are on, this can be stopped by monitoring the area around the junction to ensure that the pedestrian stays in the area for a set amount of time before the pedestrian crossing activates to allow them to cross the road. There are a lot of other uses too but I can't think of them right now off the top of my head.
    Maybe they could fit lazers to the cameras and zap any pedestrian that misbehaves.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

Similar cameras appeared at junctions in central London years ago, they were put up to monitor traffic entering the congestion charge zone, now the city is full of them and every move you make is monitored.
    Its said you can not drive anywhere in London without been monitored on a camera.

The council controlled ones are monitored and they hand out fixed penalties using them. They also have mobile camera vans (not for speed, just out to catch motorists doing anything naughty).

So if you stop on a red route briefly to let someone jump out, or nip into the bus lane briefly or use a loading zone or whatever, you stand a good chance of getting a nice photo and fine in the post from some bottom feeding jerk in the control room.

Blair's Britain..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

and yet in spite of all the scaremongering it has made no difference to the normal law abiding Londoners (paying the congestion charge aside)
    ShiresV2 wrote: »
    The council controlled ones are monitored and they hand out fixed penalties using them. They also have mobile camera vans (not for speed, just out to catch motorists doing anything naughty).

So if you stop on a red route briefly to let someone jump out, or nip into the bus lane briefly or use a loading zone or whatever, you stand a good chance of getting a nice photo and fine in the post from some bottom feeding jerk in the control room.

Blair's Britain..

People "just stopping for a minute" is a huge bugbear for me. I drove in and out of town (Dublin) this morning and the amount of time added to my trip by people stopped all over the place where they should'nt have been was unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

Stekelly wrote: »
    People "just stopping for a minute" is a huge bugbear for me. I drove in and out of town (Dublin) this morning and the amount of time added to my trip by people stopped all over the place where they should'nt have been was unreal.

Agree, it's not nice when people clog no stop zones (red routes).

A police man is likely to use his cop on. On the other hand, some near automaton in a control center looking at cameras and writing fines all day long who has targets to meet...

Blair's Britain..
    The red route, now that brings back memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

You can't walk anywhere in London without being monitored. That city is CCTV obsessed! They're bloody everywhere. I'm glad Dublin isn't like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Agree, it's not nice when people clog no stop zones (red routes).

A police man is likely to use his cop on. On the other hand, some near automaton in a control center looking at cameras and writing fines all day long who has targets to meet...

The problem with police using their discretion, especially in a big city, is the same offender could be on the recieving end of different officers dicretion for the same offence hundreds of times without ever getting any sort of punishment and thus learn that they can do as they please.

At least if people known with reasonable certainty that they will get a fine etc if they do it once or again after being caught the first time, they are likely not to do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

I was exiting the M50 the other day at the M1 heading towards the airport, and noticed a camera on it's own gantry. Below the camera, in the driving lane white lines for measuring distance (like you see on mythbusters) were painted on the Tarmac.

Sneeky speeding fines methinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Dont know if the question was answered but I "think" they are for measuring traffic flow. If traffic builds up it can change the lights in the same way the sensors in the road can.

Advertisement