Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tube Blues (non bicycle!)

• 22-06-2010 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭

I've spent about an hour this evening trying to fit a new tube to a tyre from a piece of moving equipment I use. It's just not happening :( I got the old one out and the rim out too and got the rim half way back in and the tube is in it too but I can't finish the last part.

The tube is a 3.0-4.0 size and the tyre itself is only 9 inches or something like that.

I've been at it for ages with the tube at different pressures, inflated, deflated etc but there's just not enough play on it to get the levers to pop the rim up over the tyre.

Here's the culprit:
    imag0071i.jpg

Any pro tyre changers here who'd want to have a go? :D

Or any suggestions on how to go about it would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

looks like a wheelbarrow wheel - take it down your local tyre place (thats what i did last time i had to change one ) (or get some bits of thick steel~)]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I vaguely remember from Top Gear that the Scandis fill the tyre with lighter fuel or similar then ignite it. The explosion blows the tyre back on the rim.

I will not be held responsible for the fate of your eyebrows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZhszvMjvjg&feature=related

Looks like fun alright. Came across this a while ago, but the potential for doing it wrong is pretty big! I'd try it myself, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, if you know what I mean! Apparently, you have to get the pressure into the tyre pretty quickly after the pop, as the gas cools and contracts inside, pulling the bead back off the rim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the tips :)

Unfortunately it's a lot tougher than a wheelbarrow wheel, and even that wheel in the posted video. Because the size, there's absolutely no elasticity in the tyre itself so it's extremely difficult to mould it and manoeuvre it around the rim.

Would a tyre place have the right stuff for the job I wonder considering it's so small?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Make sure you have the bead of the tyre down in the centre of the wheel rather than sitting on the bead seat at the rim. That gives you some more wiggle room. Then use a BFS (Big F... Screwdriver) to lever the remaining bit on.
    Lumen wrote: »
    I vaguely remember from Top Gear that the Scandis fill the tyre with lighter fuel or similar then ignite it. The explosion blows the tyre back on the rim.

As I understand it, this only works if the tyre is already mounted on the wheel and will seat the tyre in the rim. It won't get a tyre onto the wheel in the first place...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Got sorted in fastfit, it was the usual off car price of a tenner a tyre to fit. There were two of them at it for a while and they said it was a tough job :pac:

I think I would have been trying forever by myself with the bike levers so :)

Advertisement