Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucky day

Options
  • 22-06-2010 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Ok here's the deal...

I work on a dairy farm in Victoria but I finish up at the end of July, not sure what date yet. My boss is a pretty good guy, runs a tight ship workwise but I can't complain about him one bit. I stay in a hostel about ten minutes drive from the farm and theres a few more Irish here too doing various different jobs.

Whenever someone leaves the farm, the boss tries to get them to recruit someone to take their place. So thats what I'm doing. There's no experience necessary, I had none starting and now I can virtually run the dairy alone. What he'll be looking for is someone who doesn't mind starting work at 4.30am. The work hours after that will depend on experience but you'll get 5 days a week no problem at all. You must be 100% reliable. I can't stress that enough. If you're willing to work hard, you'll be rewarded.

A car is a must. The hostel is 10 minutes drive from the farm so if you've no car you have no chance.

Anyone interested can pm me and we can talk details then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

Sounds like a fair and reasonable offer, especially as this kind of work is not easy to find for someone without experience

• Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not interested, but might be a good idea to put up pay, hours, accom, food costs, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not interested, but might be a good idea to put up pay, hours, accom, food costs, etc

Fair point.

The pay and hours is going to depend on the individual and their experience and abilities plus some other choices that would have to be made with the boss. The hostel charges $140 a week at the moment and food costs are as with any hostel, you'll have to look after yourself on that front. There's a supermarket across the road and a town nearby with an Aldi and Coles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Does the location qualify as 'regional work' for someone after a 2nd WHV? Will your boss fill out any paperwork around that, and/or give you a payslip that shows you've worked regionally?

Also can you tell us the name of the area? Regional Victoria is a big place...

Does the location qualify as 'regional work' for someone after a 2nd WHV? Will your boss fill out any paperwork around that, and/or give you a payslip that shows you've worked regionally?

Also can you tell us the name of the area? Regional Victoria is a big place...

The area qualifies... and if it doesn't then I've just wasted the last few months of my life. Its in the Gippsland region, in South Eastern Victoria. There are no payslips, when you complete your three months, the employer fills out a form stating the dates you worked there. Thats as far as I'm aware anyway.

What I do know is that he's a fully legitimate employer, one of Gippslands leading milk suppliers. The guy who worked there previously to me got his visa with no problem at all, as did his cousin who also worked there. A French guy left a couple of weeks after I started and he now has his second year visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I sent ya a PM there. My housemate said he'd be up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

Fair point.

The pay and hours is going to depend on the individual and their experience and abilities plus some other choices that would have to be made with the boss. The hostel charges $140 a week at the moment and food costs are as with any hostel, you'll have to look after yourself on that front. There's a supermarket across the road and a town nearby with an Aldi and Coles.

how much did you get paid out of interest?

I was on $20 per hour. Can't really complain at that but....

Things have come a cropper!! Due to unforseen circumstances I have to stay in the job, believe me, not by choice, I was looking forward to hitting the road again.

Apologies to all who've been inconvenienced by this. If a mod wants to lock this now, bang away!

Advertisement