Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester

Options
  • 22-06-2010 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi I am thinking of running off to Manchester, I have been applying to jobs in the UK for over a year now with no success.

Does anyone know any good job sites for manchester ? Or has anyone had any luck finding a job in the UK before going over?

I am thinking maybe I will go over for a week or two and hand out cv's would this be a good idea? I wonder if it would be very reckless to just head over get a place to live with no job !

Oh also! Any recommendations for areas to live in Manchester preferably near the city centre, obviously I am looking for decent but not too expensive areas !

Thank you !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

Hi p.j , my sister moved to Manchester 7 years ago and hasn't looked back. I'm afraid I can't help with advice on job app's, as she transfered there with her job.
    But as for locations, she has stayed in the same general area since arriving, always on the outskirts of Stockport (the Manchester side) Didsbury, Heaton Chapel etc - it's about 20 mins on the bus into Manchester city centre, and the train is handy too. and Stockport is very handy for shopping and that.
    I hope this might be of some help to you!

Might be an idea to send a few emails and then book flights and mention in your letter that you'll be over on such-and-such dates if they wish to meet you... or something like that!?!

Best of Luck!!!! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I can't say I'd hugely recommend just moving here without at least starting to line up some interviews or job applications in your industry, but at the same time if you do so it'll make it easier to bombard places with applications. If you can, try to save up enough money to live on for about a month (more, if you can) - not only will it make your life easier by not being stuck for cash within days of arriving, but it also means that when you're sorting out an NI number you can prove you're not planning to immediately start claiming the dole here.

Have a look at the Manchester Upmystreet page to find out a bit more about the area. Should also give you an idea of what areas will suit you for living in.

I'm not sure about job sites to use, to a certain extent it depends on what industry you work in.

Advertisement