Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a mature dependant apparently

Options
  • 22-06-2010 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

So I've been filling in the grant application form. I wasnt sure whether or not i was mature dependant, or mature independant.

I've been living away from home for roughly 9 years, including the last, almost, 2 years in Australia.

So basically I'm moving home and will be crashing in my parents until I get my own place. I asked them was it OK for me to put their address for the time being and then when I get my own place, be means tested against only myself and not my parents.

They told me it didnt matter because I wasnt in the country on October 1st 2009, so therefore, regardless of anything, I'm classed as dependant on my parents.

So, because I'm living abroad, I'm dependant on my parents!!!!!!!! I can't wrap my head around this thinking. What if I was 60 years old and went abroad to work for a year, and come back to go back to college. Then I'd still be classed as dependant!

Crazy. This effectively stops me from going to college. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will need to check with the grant provider. There may be a fundamental issue at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

The fundamental issue is this new rule that says you have to be living in the country on 1st October the previous year, otherwise you're regarded as dependant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

It's crazy mate.

The only way they will consider you to be independant is if you are over 23, have lived in the country for three of the last five years, have lived in the country from the 1st of October of the previous year, have lived away from home from the 1st of October of the previous year, have lived within the area of the council to which you are applying from the 1st of October of the previous year and have been out of education for at least three years. And I've probably forgotten one.

That's some amount of criteria to satisfy for a grown man or woman to show that he/she is not dependant on his/her parents. Ridiculous. It's effectively stopping me from going to college aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Well I actually satisfy every one of those conditions except living in the country from 1st October 09.

Currently researching how much the fees are and if I can get a part-time job to get me through the year.

PS, yes u missed the rule about being out of the education system for 3 years prior to going back!! :p

Advertisement