Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the worst Paper?

Options
  • 22-06-2010 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey, as we're reaching the end of the LC I'd like to get some feedback! What went well and what, do you think, didn't?

Were there many surprises aside from the obvious Boland?
    Were your predictions accurate?

What points range do you think you'll be in come August 18th?
    Finally, what will you do if you don't get the adequate points?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

Overall, I found them fine. With the exception of OL Maths Paper 1 but I made for it in Maths Paper 2.

I was expecting Boland not coming up tbh and a lot of other papers seemed to have questions asked differently.

I have Spanish to do in an hour or so and Economics tomorrow so if I do well enough in both, I will be getting within the high 300's or maybe hit 400.
    And If I do average in both I'll get low 300's.
    So these two will make or break me.

I want to do Computer Science anywhere really.

I'm praying I don't fail anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Maths OL paper 1was difficult but I mad up for alot of it on paper 2. For me the worst was History, it wasnt any more difficult than the rest but I messed up badly, my only chance of passing is the research topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Leah6

Silentbut, are you hoping to do journalism? It's just that come across like a reporter looking for a final cheap and cheerful Leaving Cert story. What do you need the feedback for? Most of us will be dleighted to be shot of the whole thing rather than gathering feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

The worst paper was probably Irish - both papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Looking objectively, I'd say accounting was the toughest by comparison to previous years, but fortunately it's one of my best subjects and I'm sure I got the A1. The one I had most trouble with was Irish though, I'm just hoping I scraped the honour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Worst for me are probably: Accounting, Irish Paper 2, Maths P1.

And chemistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Killio9

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Worst for me are probably: Accounting, Irish Paper 2, Maths P1.

And chemistry.

yeah chemistry was really bad:P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

English and Irish Paper Ones - eugh!

The best were Geography and Accounting. The accounting was easier than previous years, especially 2008 and 2009 had a very unfamiliar budgeting question. Although the questions were reasonable, I think they might have made it a bit too long, especially Q8 and the Service Firm. I was thrilled with Geography!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

geography was horrible.
    the questions were really specific...dreadful test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Business was horrible for me, not that it was a bad paper or anything, but I expected to do much better as I really worked hard for it. A lot of questions were quite tricky.

Oh well economics Wednesday then finished! WoOOOOOOOoooooOOOOOo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

OL Maths p1, accounting, physics, dcg, French

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

chemistry, i know that and i haven't even done it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Disappointed with Irish..

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Accounting and Maths paper 2 (HL) were the worst for me so far. Didn't fail, hopefully, but I didn't get the As I wanted, probably a B2 and a B1 respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

English and Irish Paper Ones - eugh!

The best were Geography and Accounting. The accounting was easier than previous years, especially 2008 and 2009 had a very unfamiliar budgeting question. Although the questions were reasonable, I think they might have made it a bit too long, especially Q8 and the Service Firm. I was thrilled with Geography!
    :o I thought it was a nasty one. Surprises in Q8&9, a few new adjustments in the sole trader and an extremely long service. Definitely harder than last year, last year was piss.

Still got everything balanced and correct I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 nijel

art :mad:
    english I :eek:
    english II :(
    maths I (ord) :confused:
    geography :o
    irish I (ord):rolleyes:
    irish II:cool:
    maths II:)
    dcg:D

construction ?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

I was shocked by a number of things.

- Newgrange not coming up in Art History.
    - The Museum/Gallery question in Art coming up as predicted, BUT having a twist...comparing it with a small-scale gallery/museum was not expected by anyone.
    - The formation of Metamorphic rocks in Geography coming up...in my Geography textbook there is a mere paragraph dedicated to this, it is not explained in detail at all.

I'd say my worst exam was business. A lot of my answers were just waffle with a few buzz words thrown in. It was a weird exam!
    I studied quite a few poets for the Stair section in Irish Paper 2 and NONE of them came up...annoyed by this. Plus the Trial question was just plain bogus.
    Geography is one of my A subjects but it just did not go well for me...expecting a C now.

I was hoping for teaching in Pats (475) but I estimated getting in the low 400s, so will most likely be doing Arts in UCD (English and Irish). This wouldn't bother me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

From my personal point of view, Maths HL...

From an unbiased perspective, Accounting, Art History and Irish HL (Didn't do the latter two, but from what I understand of both..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Aisling x

Accounting was my worst for sure...
    nasty surprises there, that caught a lot of people out...

and the An Triail question ofc!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

maths was awful for me (but i was hardly expecting anything else) and i really disappointed myself with history =( messed that one up big time.
    i still have music and italian and im hoping they can bump me up a bit... :/
    overall not really happy with how it went at all. i was hoping to reach the 500 mark but now i'll be lucky if i get above 450. ='(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Art was my worst relative to expectation, on the same scale Geography was my best. I have a few issues with the level of English possessed by those who set the English paper as well but anyway..

I'd have to say though the worst state exam this year had to be JC Business, Imagine your cash flow not working out no matter what you did? You'd be freaking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Poll FTW...

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

Irish.

I actually liked Paper I but the Aural and the An Triail Question have ended any aspirations for the A.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Foundation maths paper 1 gets my vote. Nasty paper in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

French was a big surprise - the comprehensions anyways.

English paper two the questions had a bit of a twist to them didn't like that.

Hopefully will get the points(500-530). If not will take my other options, not a hope in hell that I will be repeating!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

:o I thought it was a nasty one. Surprises in Q8&9, a few new adjustments in the sole trader and an extremely long service. Definitely harder than last year, last year was piss.

Still got everything balanced and correct I think :)

Well I suppose it was harder than last year's. But the budgeting question in 2009 was very difficult. It was easy to do it when my teacher gave me the solution, but on the day I would have freaked out! Luckily the Q8 that went alongside it was very easy.

The questions weren't difficult in our year, but I agree they were a bit too long. How did you fare for timing? Did you get it finished with time free as you normally do in accounting or did the long questions take their toll? I could have done with 5 more minutes - the superintendent nearly had to pull the booklet out of my hand! (damn Q8 - I should have done Q9 I just hate Cash Budgeting because it's so tedious).

I thought the Suspense was a bit too long. When I was doing it, it seemed normal enough so I was confused as to why I was 10 minutes over-time on that question. Only talking to my friends afterwards I realised that they put a lot more on than they usually do - in particular the fixed asset depreciation - it was a bit like Question 1 material. One of the accounting teachers in my school (not mine though) said that it was far too long and then to ask you to comment on the financial situation and give advice about increasing clients fees at the end was ridiculous.

I can imagine my friends in 5th year (going into 6th year) predicting their paper to be very like the one we were hoping. Knowing my luck, they will get Q1 Company Q6 Tabular Q7 Cash Flow Q8 Marginal Costing Q9 Flexible (that is my dream paper!)

Oh well it's done now. I got my Q1 to balance but it turns out it was the wrong balance. I wonder will I have lost many marks? I hope not - I'm thinking I should have done the two 60 marks. Cash Flow and Creditors Control are very easy :(

Your mother is an accounting teacher - what did she make of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

was hoping to get 470 to secure a place for home ec teaching but that has gone out the window
    i did nothing last year and i got 420...i did a lot more work this year but i have a feeling that I did worse this year so dno might just take social care in sligo and do hdip after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

The first section on Art paper . They couldn't resist that ****ing Iron ! I was hopping for bronze age or newgrange xd did only 1/4 of the question :mad:
    besides that everything was pretty cool :) will see economics & applied soon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

For me the worst paper was Accounting. It seemed to be very obscure, with NBV method for the depreciation and a service firm question that looked really difficult. I somehow got lucky with my choices because I seem to have picked the easiest questions (cashflow, control accounts, suspense and interpretation). I think it went well, but it was quite a shock when I looked at it.

Everything else was grand :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

maths HL paper 1 was shoooite!
    English wasnt that good either, sh*t genre Q and sh*t yeats Q imo!
    a

Advertisement