Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can I ask why? Personally I have always thought that removing the Bank of Ireland railings would really help open up the whole College Green plaza. Also if you see any old photos of the area with the railings not there it is remarkable how much better it looks.

Would be very interesting to see some photos of that, seeing as the railings were installed before photography was invented :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can I ask why? Personally I have always thought that removing the Bank of Ireland railings would really help open up the whole College Green plaza. Also if you see any old photos of the area with the railings not there it is remarkable how much better it looks.

My guess is BOI dont want it for fear of losing the car park spaces they have inside the railings and a fear of hoardes of Spanish students sitting on their steps.

I dono really, just feel the railings go well with the building just like they do with TCD.

I have not seen it without them and wish BOI didn't allow their staff park there as it dons't look well especially when a lot of tourists photograph the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Awful shame that ownership of that building wasn't transferred to the State as a condition for BOI's bailout.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The LUAS works on the South Quays which started on Friday evening and were forecast to take over a week.... have been completed!

Maybe they can use the free time to take care of LUAShenge :D

https://twitter.com/LuasCrossCity/status/894576598531407872

• Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Awful shame that ownership of that building wasn't transferred to the State as a condition for BOI's bailout.

BOI never went in to state control so itd have been a lot harder to require such a condition

There are old drawings of it without railings that some people seem to think are accurate - they aren't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Is the building opposite trinity with the railings not the central bank as opposed to BOI?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

salmocab wrote: »
    Is the building opposite trinity with the railings not the central bank as opposed to BOI?

No, that's a BOI branch. Central bank was in the building up a little further on Dame Street with the kind of latches on the side of it, but they've now moved to a new building in the dock lands.

G_R wrote: »
    No, that's a BOI branch. Central bank was in the building up a little further on Dame Street with the kind of latches on the side of it, but they've now moved to a new building in the dock lands.

Cheers I genuinely though that that was the central bank along with the newer tower one a bit along the way where the cool kids hang out with skateboards. 40 years a Dub and calling that the wrong name, I knew they moved to the new building alright.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Cheers I genuinely though that that was the central bank along with the newer tower one a bit along the way where the cool kids hang out with skateboards. 40 years a Dub and calling that the wrong name, I knew they moved to the new building alright.

Every day's a school day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

You'd be surprised how many people think that. You're definitely not alone.

The skater kids moved on several years ago, there was some construction work on the plaza that scared them off and they never came back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

markpb wrote: »
    You'd be surprised how many people think that. You're definitely not alone.

The skater kids moved on several years ago, there was some construction work on the plaza that scared them off and they never came back.

They built railings around the steps somewhere around 2000, removed the fountain that was here (currently covered by a large brown structure) and added anti skating things to most of the flat horizontal surfaces: that pretty much did it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

are all those control boxes there to stay? I've never seen anything so hideous

lawred2 wrote: »
    are all those control boxes there to stay? I've never seen anything so hideous
    Perhaps we can use a bit of imagination and do something like this.

OTB%20Banner2_1152X252.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

We already do in lots of places around the city.

It's more the irregular spacing, alignment and heights that I find visually offensive. Sure they can be painted but is that not akin to painting lipstick on a pig? Those above are all one off boxes not an irregular collection of boxes.

I can't quite fathom the levels of project management or workmanship that would allow for such an utter mess.

Those boxes are close enough together that they could have something tidy built around them and made to look decent, I suppose at this stage we can just wait and see how it ends up.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Those boxes look pretty bad but another thing I've noticed is the awful state of the footpaths. Instead of proper paving they seem to have crudely slapped down tarmac instead.

Presumably (and hopefully!) around College Green it'll only be temporary before the redevelopment but I've noticed it throughout the rest of the city as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's more the irregular spacing, alignment and heights that I find visually offensive. Sure they can be painted but is that not akin to painting lipstick on a pig? Those above are all one off boxes not an irregular collection of boxes.

I can't quite fathom the levels of project management or workmanship that would allow for such an utter mess.

For me it's the placement; they're just plonked in the middle of the footpath. At the very least, they should be up against a wall, out of people's way, like the boxes outside Provost House, at the corner of Grafton & Nassau Street.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    For me it's the placement; they're just plonked in the middle of the footpath. At the very least, they should be up against a wall, out of people's way, like the boxes outside Provost House, at the corner of Grafton & Nassau Street.

Smacks of 'yerra it'll be grand'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Those boxes look pretty bad but another thing I've noticed is the awful state of the footpaths. Instead of proper paving they seem to have crudely slapped down tarmac instead.

Presumably (and hopefully!) around College Green it'll only be temporary before the redevelopment but I've noticed it throughout the rest of the city as well.

I think the tarmac must be either temporary until the works are nearly done, or temporary because of the plaza. Because they've done really nice work in other parts of the city, Dawson Street and Dominick Street are substantially nicer in terms of footpath condition than they were before the works began.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭riadach

MJohnston wrote: »
    I think the tarmac must be either temporary until the works are nearly done, or temporary because of the plaza. Because they've done really nice work in other parts of the city, Dawson Street and Dominick Street are substantially nicer in terms of footpath condition than they were before the works began.

I think so too. Hawkins street had tarmac on the liffey end to make it accessible, which has subsequently been restored with the old (Leinster?) granite slabs. I expect the same for the top of the street too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Its not just the footpaths that have bad tarmac down. The bus lane at college green is in a bad way. Especially at the pedestrian crossing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It has begun. Dublin City Council are using the upcoming Cross City line opening to rejig the traffic system along the quays. It'll now be reduced down to one lane, with the rest dedicated to bus lanes, and there'll be no right turn from the quays onto O'Connell bridge.

It's a smart idea, to be honest, and one I broadly agree with. It'll improve the bus service, while also forcing people to consider using the bus over driving. DCC are continuing to lead the way in forcing Dublin to become more Public Transport orientated, despite the lack of such conviction at governmental level. I'd prefer if this kind of thing was done when the Dublin Metro and Dart Underground where finished (or at least, closer to being built), but at this stage I think any kind of progress is good.

CatInABox wrote: »
    It has begun. Dublin City Council are using the upcoming Cross City line opening to rejig the traffic system along the quays. It'll now be reduced down to one lane, with the rest dedicated to bus lanes, and there'll be no right turn from the quays onto O'Connell bridge.

It's a smart idea, to be honest, and one I broadly agree with. It'll improve the bus service, while also forcing people to consider using the bus over driving. DCC are continuing to lead the way in forcing Dublin to become more Public Transport orientated, despite the lack of such conviction at governmental level. I'd prefer if this kind of thing was done when the Dublin Metro and Dart Underground where finished (or at least, closer to being built), but at this stage I think any kind of progress is good.

Although ideally the alternatives would be in place before trying to force people to use more public transport, this is probably the right time to make this change as the current chaos cant be made much worse in the short term.

CatInABox wrote: »

Good to see

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cormac616

Great to see, Hopefully it will make the quays safer to cycle as well. It is so dangerous currently along bachelors walk especially with all the buses pulling in and out with nowhere for them to go because of the cars. Never mind inhaling all the horrible smoke from the side of the buses as well.

Anyone know if they've started on the road markings already?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭cgcsb

At this stage is the two way Liffey cycleway dropped entirely? With that car lane on Bachelors walk, I don't see how that project can now proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cgcsb wrote: »
    At this stage is the two way Liffey cycleway dropped entirely? With that car lane on Bachelors walk, I don't see how that project can now proceed.

No it isn't dropped.

Environmental analyses are being carried out for two options and we hopefully will get a final decision in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hopefully Option 7. Out of curiosity which route would you be pushing for LXF?

The one that doesn't have a ludicrous bus gate at Queen St Bridge and which prioritises public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Surely the cycle lane will spell the end for cars on Bachelor's walk no matter what option is chosen. In that context why all the bending over backwards to keep cars on bachelors walk only to remove them in a few months time regardless

Advertisement