Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I wonder how soon it'll be before we see serious talk of extending it to Finglas or other network expansions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

AngryLips wrote: »
    I wonder how soon it'll be before we see serious talk of extending it to Finglas or other network expansions

We are already taking about MN and a green line upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

How much did the Bride's Glen extension cost?

Nevermind, this link says €300m. Why was it so expensive? Luas Cross City only cost €368m in comparison, for what seems like a far, far more complex construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

MJohnston wrote: »
    Nevermind, this link says €300m. Why was it so expensive? Luas Cross City only cost €368m in comparison, for what seems like a far, far more complex construction.
    Sandyford to Brides Glen is nearly half as long again as the cross city route and includes four significant bridges/elevated sections so coming in about 20% cheaper sounds entirely plausible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Is there an opening date yet?

xper wrote: »
    Sandyford to Brides Glen is nearly half as long again as the cross city route and includes four significant bridges/elevated sections so coming in about 20% cheaper sounds entirely plausible.

Fair enough, I'm not too familiar with the extension there. Presumably that means they could extend to Finglas (via Ashbourne perhaps) for a good bit less of a cost, as it would probably only involve 1 significant bridge (over the railway and Royal Canal) and 1 minor bridge (over the Tolka river).

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Fair enough, I'm not too familiar with the extension there. Presumably that means they could extend to Finglas (via Ashbourne perhaps) for a good bit less of a cost, as it would probably only involve 1 significant bridge (over the railway and Royal Canal) and 1 minor bridge (over the Tolka river).

I think tunneling under Glasnevin cemetery might be the more likely option for extending northwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Is there an opening date yet?

Supposedly it'll be at the end of November

Quackster wrote: »
    I think tunneling under Glasnevin cemetery might be the more likely option for extending northwards.

I think that was only the case when an extension was being proposed as an alternative to Metro North?

• Advertisement

jamo2oo9 wrote: »

Luas operators are still saying December - "less than 14 weeks" was the quote on a news update yesterday, which would be around the 22nd of December (I'm presuming that less than 14 weeks suggests that it's more than 13 weeks).

They might do a big push to accelerate that by another week or two, but I can't see it being November.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

jamo2oo9 wrote: »

Luas operators are still saying December - "less than 14 weeks" was the quote on a news update yesterday, which would be around the 22nd of December (I'm presuming that less than 14 weeks suggests that it's more than 13 weeks).

They might do a big push to accelerate that by another week or two, but I can't see it being November.
    We'll have you in for Christmas luv - spoken like good builders!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

To Finglas, via Ashbourne? Wouldn't that be a rather roundabout route?

Perhaps you meant 'to Ashbourne (eventually), via Finglas'?

Dardania wrote: »
    We'll have you in for Christmas luv - spoken like good builders!

To be honest, I actually wonder whether it's a better idea for them to wait until the week after Christmas to start running (as opposed to the week before anyway).

Certainly RPA would want the extra Christmas shopper ticket revenue, but could make for a very messy introduction traffic wise. I suppose if they've ramped up testing to a point where it's close to the live frequency, it might not be as much of a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

IMO there is very little benefit to extending it to Finglas. Compared to Sandyford, Finglas is low density with little/no offices. Maybe extend it to Finglas, if a lot of it is CPO and replaced with a new town.

It makes little economic sense spending hundreds of million to extend the luas to a few strip malls and a handful of housing estates.

IMO there is very little benefit to extending it to Finglas. Compared to Sandyford, Finglas is low density with little/no offices. Maybe extend it to Finglas, if a lot of it is CPO and replaced with a new town.

It makes little economic sense spending hundreds of million to extend the luas to a few strip malls and a handful of housing estates.

I think there's a specific thread to discuss Luas expansions, but one of the benefits that I've extolled before would be going through Finglas and forming a large Park and Ride just outside the M50 that would serve the M2 and M3 corridors.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I think that was only the case when an extension was being proposed as an alternative to Metro North?

Yeah, I think there is still merit to run it to Ballymun and even on to the airport, particularly if a new western terminal is developed off the N2.

Isn't one thread enough for your nonsense

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057743805/5

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Less of the backseat modding, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

My apologies, I looked at the wrong month when I counted 14 weeks on the calender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

To be honest, I actually wonder whether it's a better idea for them to wait until the week after Christmas to start running (as opposed to the week before anyway).

Certainly RPA would want the extra Christmas shopper ticket revenue, but could make for a very messy introduction traffic wise. I suppose if they've ramped up testing to a point where it's close to the live frequency, it might not be as much of a problem.

PR wise leaving it till after christmas brings it into another year and I cant see that being a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It will be opening early December, the testing over the last few weeks and driver training is going exceptionally well.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It will be opening early December, the testing over the last few weeks and driver training is going exceptionally well.

What's your source on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

What's your source on that?

Know one or two people involved in the operations side. There has been no problems since the first test run in June which is a testament to those involved in construction and commissioning.

Not even a driver deciding to crash into one yet and there has been a lot of runs this week, long may it continue.

As of now there is no delays to planned opening in early December.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Almost sure its meant to be opening December 9th. Remembered because its my birthday :pac:

Little chance of it opening earlier than scheduled apparently, they'll be testing it right up until the last minute and need all the time they have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I dunno, the brides glen extension is pretty low density also

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

I dunno, the brides glen extension is pretty low density also

Really!? Central park has huge residential and office density, with an average height of 11 stories. Glencairn and all the stops through to Leopardstown valley have a decent mix of six story apartment blocks and houses and with hundreds more of both types under construction in Clay Farn. Carrickmines has a decent office population nearby and more under construction. Cherrywood and Brides Glen will have huge cachement in a few years (30,000 according to the SDZ) and already have a sizeable commercial population. The unbuilt stops are in the middle of greenfield sites which makes it easy to redevelop them in years to come.

Finglas has houses, a few low density industry and very limited potential for densification.

markpb wrote: »
    Really!? Central park has huge residential and office density, with an average height of 11 stories. Glencairn and all the stops through to Leopardstown valley have a decent mix of six story apartment blocks and houses and with hundreds more of both types under construction in Clay Farn. Carrickmines has a decent office population nearby and more under construction. Cherrywood and Brides Glen will have huge cachement in a few years (30,000 according to the SDZ) and already have a sizeable commercial population. The unbuilt stops are in the middle of greenfield sites which makes it easy to redevelop them in years to come.

Finglas has houses, a few low density industry and very limited potential for densification.

This was discussed in the previous thread. Finglas' density is on a par with many other areas currently served by the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

You seem to be in favour of an eventual extension of the cross-city line to Ashbourne, and then to Finglas.

Could you talk us through what that would involve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

This was discussed in the previous thread. Finglas' density is on a par with many other areas currently served by the Luas.

I was only refuting the previous posters claims that the BG extension was low density.

I'd have no problem with an extension to finglas but given the housing and transport problems we have right now, I think any possible extensions should be to areas with green or brown field sites where large scale development is possible.

Advertisement