Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Are trams subject to the same road traffic laws as other vehicles? I would expect that are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Bambi wrote: »
    Saw the luas merrily blocking two pedestrian crossings at once again this morning, seems the message is "we'll do as we bloody well please"

Just like every other mode in Dublin then.

On another note, I wonder if the southbound service will cross the city faster than northbound? I would imagine with its route down Marlborough Street, it might be subject to fewer holdups from traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

MJohnston wrote: »
    Just like every other mode in Dublin then.

On another note, I wonder if the southbound service will cross the city faster than northbound? I would imagine with its route down Marlborough Street, it might be subject to fewer holdups from traffic.

Really? I've never seen any other vehicle block two pedestrian crossings at once. At least pedestrians have some hope of making their way around normal traffic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Really? I've never seen any other vehicle block two pedestrian crossings at once. At least pedestrians have some hope of making their way around normal traffic.

Is that an issue with length, against where they are meant to stop, or did they stop in the wrong place?
    Victor wrote: »
    I've used O'Connell Street and Parnell Square a fair bit recently and the worst obstruction offenders are Dublin Bus, Air Coach and private cars.

i think the entire junction between the 2 needs to be yellow boxed, not just the track sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭trellheim

Is it not a principle of driving that you dont enter these kind of zones unless it can be kept clear - thats in an SI somewhere I think if not the RotR

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

trellheim wrote: »
    Is it not a principle of driving that you dont enter these kind of zones unless it can be kept clear - thats in an SI somewhere I think if not the RotR

I wouldn't hold much on it. They also advise that once you are within a junction, even if a red light is on for your pathway, you have the right of way to clear the junction. For that to be stipulated, it alludes you are expected at times not to clear the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

brokenarms wrote: »
    Are trams subject to the same road traffic laws as other vehicles?
    Mostly. Their traffic lights are different and there is a different speed limit regime.

I was responding to “I’ll do as I please”, as it applies to all modes in Dublin - including pedestrians.

Where did this occur?

One thing I can tell that Luas/Guards will need to get a handle on is wee skitters using the tracks up between Cabra and Broombridge as a dirt bike racing circuit. I can hear them constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eeighgn

Observed motercycle Garda this morning stopping cyclist on college green LUAS line.
    Thing was the luas had to wait to pull up while the Gardas bike was blocking the line 😂😂
    Was wondering since DCC refused to authorize the by-law, what right did the Garda have to stop the cyclist in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

eeighgn wrote: »
    Observed motercycle Garda this morning stopping cyclist on college green LUAS line.
    Thing was the luas had to wait to pull up while the Gardas bike was blocking the line ����
    Was wondering since DCC refused to authorize the by-law, what right did the Garda have to stop the cyclist in the first place?

Could have gone through a red light or broken any number of traffic regulations.

Breath of fresh air to see the rules enforced against all road users, especially the two-wheeled variety that keep banging on about their equal rights yet don't stop at junctions because it breaks their momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

eeighgn wrote: »
    Thing was the luas had to wait to pull up while the Gardas bike was blocking the line ����

Could be numerous reasons why the cyclist was stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭trellheim

The Guard can stop him for anything. Not entirely sure he can prosecute him for cycling legally along the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

sdanseo wrote: »
    Could have gone through a red light or broken any number of traffic regulations.

Breath of fresh air to see the rules enforced against all road users, especially the two-wheeled variety that keep banging on about their equal rights yet don't stop at junctions because it breaks their momentum.
    Yup don't stop at junctions or kill anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sdanseo wrote: »
    Yup don't stop at junctions or kill anyone.

Please no...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mod:

Back to Luas BXD lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭plodder

Idbatterim wrote: »
    remember they were suggesting luas to the airport with a lot more city centre running. 27 minutes now for cross city! would love to have seen the airport run time, probably similar to a slow jog :rolleyes:
    How long will an end to end journey take on the Green line now? You'd want to bring a good book or a movie to pass the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

plodder wrote: »
    How long will an end to end journey take on the Green line now? You'd want to bring a good book or a movie to pass the time.

27 minutes from Broombridge to St. Stephems Green and 40 minutes from there to Cherrywood so 1h07 in total. Google says it would take between 35 and 55 minutes to drive south and between 35 minutes and an hour to drive north at rush hour so the Luas is only a few minutes slower. Of course, a crash on the M50 could easily double that time. Co-incidentally the new route has been loaded into Google Transit already.

I'd imagine there will be very few to no regular journeys that go end-to-end on the Luas, it'll be city-centre to suburbs, or suburbs to Sandyford office areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I can foresee strict Garda enforcement of blocking tram lines, bus lanes and yellow boxes for the first week, maybe two.

After that, business as usual in Dublin.

Drive or park where ever the feck ye want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

• Registered Users Posts: 36,307 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

fionnsci wrote: »

I don't understand the O'Connell GPO and Marlborough stops being marked for the red line?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Dreadful map.

What zones are all the stops that are in the white space between zones in?

NTA spent a sh!tload copying all of the meticulously designed TfL formats and colouring them green, why can't they just stick to using them?

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'd imagine there will be very few to no regular journeys that go end-to-end on the Luas, it'll be city-centre to suburbs, or suburbs to Sandyford office areas.
    It's interesting that people think this, and it may well be true anyway, but it is weird that people think nothing of driving the length of the M50 every day, but wouldn't do an end to end journey like that on the Luas.

By the (fairly poor admittedly) standards of public transport here, one hour is actually not that bad. I thought it would be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Vic_08 wrote: »

Dreadful map.

What zones are all the stops that are in the white space between zones in?

NTA spent a sh!tload copying all of the meticulously designed TfL formats and colouring them green, why can't they just stick to using them?
    Took me a while to parse it - the one that gets me is it shows that if you're on the green line, the stops you should transfer to red line are shown (and vice versa)

the white zone stops are in both zones, depending on where you travel to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Dardania wrote: »

the white zone stops are in both zones, depending on where you travel to

You are assuming that, I do too but nowhere is it actually stated that that is the case. The point is that the map should make it clear, it is really not difficult stuff to do this sort of thing correctly.

The green/red line thing is even worse, a short dotted line with a walk symbol between the connection stops is what is needed here not confusing labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't understand the O'Connell GPO and Marlborough stops being marked for the red line?

Their attempt at showing you where to get off for the Red line...Dreadful stuff:o

It's a fairly poor map all right. The writing is too small (hence the need for a magnifier) and it's not that clear what's going on around O'Connell St. upper. Even with the magnifier it's hard to read the symbols beside the rail connections. W, N, SE ..? points of the compass? It's amateurish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

The map is awful but considering the relatively simple tram network we have, it shouldn't be hard to improve on it. The problem now is that it's trying to be a network map, a pricing map, and a journey planner. It's also making the mistake of trying to be somewhat geographically accurate.

If you look at at a London tube map, it doesn't show the direction of the lines in a loop, it doesn't show out of station interchanges and it downplays the zone information that is used to calculate price. Most importantly it's completely geographically inaccurate which makes it much simpler to understand. You may need a different map to find the station closest to you and you may need a journey planner or local signage to figure out your route but despite all this, it's probably one of the clearest subway maps in the world (for a system of it's size and complexity).

If you drew a combined map of our Luas, Suburban Rail and Dart lines, it's similar to the network in Los Angeles and I think they've done a decent job of drawing their map.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    it doesn't show the direction of the lines in a loop
    though for the Luas, they need to communicate that because part of it is one-way. Viewing it the first time you would be forgiven for thinking that the loop goes from O'Connell upper to Parnell. It doesn't convey at all that the spur out to Broombridge is part of the loop.

The london tube map is probably the best example there is. All that information in such a small space. The station names all horizontal so you don't get a creak in your neck..

Advertisement