Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

plodder wrote: »
    though for the Luas, they need to communicate that because part of it is one-way. Viewing it the first time you would be forgiven for thinking that the loop goes from O'Connell upper to Parnell. It doesn't convey at all that the spur out to Broombridge is part of the loop.

Except that some of the trams (those originating in Brides Glen) do go from O'Connell Upper to Parnell while only those starting in Sandyford go through to Broombridge.

If they had wanted to show that on the map then something like the Tramlink map would have been better to differentiate the two services on the green line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭plodder

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Except that some of the trams (those originating in Brides Glen) do go from O'Connell Upper to Parnell while only those starting in Sandyford go through to Broombridge.

If they had wanted to show that on the map then something like the Tramlink map would have been better to differentiate the two services on the green line.
    So, it's missing even more important information then.

Another way to deal with that would be to split the green line into say green and blue - green going from brides glen to Parnell etc. and blue going from Sandyford to Broombridge. Then it would be clear on the map.

The information needs to be conveyed on the trams as well. So, people know what they are getting onto. Jesus. This stuff is not rocket science.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

plodder wrote: »
    It's interesting that people think this, and it may well be true anyway, but it is weird that people think nothing of driving the length of the M50 every day, but wouldn't do an end to end journey like that on the Luas.

By the (fairly poor admittedly) standards of public transport here, one hour is actually not that bad. I thought it would be worse.

100%, it is a rare thing I have to drive the M50 at rush hour but it is simply an awful experience. Between the poor lane discpline, the stop/go texters and the fender benders that add an extra hour onto it because everyone panics or rubber necks.

I would take the LUAS, headphones/phone or a book, any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Interesting to see from the Irish Times article below that no further traffic changes in the city centre will take place until the New Year.

This means that general traffic will continue to be able to use College Green outside of 07:00-19:00 Monday-Friday, a rather mind boggling decision.

It does also confirm that there will be bus route changes in the New Year, presumably the return of the Rathmines routes to their traditional routing via St Stephen's Green and Dawson St/Kildare St, Nassau St and Grafton St.

The 27 minute journey time from St Stephen's Green to Broombridge remains on the NTA journey planner and is mentioned in the article, so I don't see that changing at this stage.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/new-trams-face-traffic-challenges-in-dublin-city-centre-1.3315326

Just my view, I don't think the bus moves are confirmed yet hence the NY delay. I suspect any move will depend if they ban taxi's. Was in CG after 5 this evening it it was more less bus on top of bus with lights at TCD gates only allow one bus through because the place was at a standstill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Just my view, I don't think the bus moves are confirmed yet hence the NY delay. I suspect any move will depend if they ban taxi's. Was in CG after 5 this evening it it was more less bus on top of bus with lights at TCD gates only allow one bus through because the place was at a standstill.

One thing I can comfortably predict. Pierce st bus gate will not work in rush hour next Monday. Either taxis or busses need to go. The new layout is a complete disaster.
    We have been told not to block the box. That means taxis will rush ahead and take the space in front of the box. Buses will not proceed.

I for one will not move a wheel till there is 35 foot in front of the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well I think you’re all aware of my feelings on this.

It will take gridlock to actually force the councillors to accept reality.

Whether that will happen on Monday morning, I don’t know, but when the longer trams arrive, there are going to be some serious problems.

brokenarms wrote: »
    One thing I can comfortably predict. Pierce st bus gate will not work in rush hour next Monday. Either taxis or busses need to go. The new layout is a complete disaster.
    We have been told not to block the box. That means taxis will rush ahead and take the space in front of the box. Buses will not proceed.

I think taxi's and no more old bus routes returning at least. Better enforcement of private car bans and box blocking in general will be needed.

Such small things like not having that big cycle lane around BOI, complexly unnecessary. They could of at least widened the footpath instead or segregate traffic/trams earlier on that corner. The Trinity stop itself is unnecessarily wide platform and is the gap between track and wall designed for bikes or needless. Could of proably fitted another lane for traffic with all the space.

The only small bit of hope is the lights will have a better flow once trams are actively operating and the CG plaza gets the go ahead next year. That would solve a lot with cutting off Daime street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

brokenarms wrote: »

Whatever happens it'll be your fault and you are going to get aggro over it.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Well I think you’re all aware of my feelings on this.

It will take gridlock to actually force the councillors to accept reality.

No doubt blame will be cast everywhere else before they take any responsibility on themselves.

As time goes on I grow ever more happy that I no longer drive a bus anywhere near the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Have they erected any signage at Abbey Street stop to help people with transfers onto Green line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Gonna be using this tomorrow afternoon to get from Stephens green to broombridge. Can’t wait!!!

• Advertisement

AngryLips wrote: »
    Have they erected any signage at Abbey Street stop to help people with transfers onto Green line?

Saw one today directing people to O'Connell stop. Looks like a temp one.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Saw one today directing people to O'Connell stop. Looks like a temp one.

I saw that. The whole O'Connell - GPO stop has one, single-side sign to say it is O'Connell - GPO.

Victor wrote: »
    I saw that. The whole O'Connell - GPO stop has one, single-side sign to say it is O'Connell - GPO.

4 years and they couldn't get a sign printed.....

Also whats the deal with lit up station names. Just wasting electricity for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Walked across town yesterday evening... Lines look great. And the finishing was of a high standard I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Spotted a sign down at Eddie Rocket's in Phibsborough, directing people up to 'Cabra' Luas stop. It was a small, light temporary notice lashed to a pole, nothing too obtrusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Spotted a sign down at Eddie Rocket's in Phibsborough, directing people up to 'Cabra' Luas stop. It was a small, light temporary notice lashed to a pole, nothing too obtrusive.

Luas opening on Saturday, Boojum Smithfield opening on Monday...big weekend for us D7 residents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Fingers crossed for the new service tomorrow but I still remain very sceptical about its operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

markpb wrote: »
    The map is awful but considering the relatively simple tram network we have, it shouldn't be hard to improve on it....

I couldn't help myself...
    pub?w=960&h=720

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

When is the great white elephant due to start lumbering through town? Teams operating to and from Stephen’s Green presently

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Damned if you, damned if you don't eh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    When is the great white elephant due to start lumbering through town? Teams operating to and from Stephen’s Green presently

What has you so sure it’s going to be a white elephant?

xper wrote: »
    I couldn't help myself...
    pub?w=960&h=720

At least the Luas ones takes into account N, S, E, W....

Some Luas drivers are apparently complaining they have not received sufficient training at night time. Typicaly they wait until opening day to announced. We all know GL drivers were not a fan of the last pay deal so not a total surprise.

Meanwhile Indo reporting two traffic pinch points discovered during testing and the impact on DB.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/city-traffic-brought-to-a-standstill-by-luas-before-it-even-opens-36392282.html

In fairness - those 2 'pinch points' would undoubtedly have already have been highlighted sufficiently to DCC during planning, hence the council proposing the private car bans around O'Connell Bridge, and the College Green east-west closure. The fact that they've backed off from the former and messed up the latter is all at the feet of the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

G_R wrote: »
    What has you so sure it’s going to be a white elephant?

I’m not “sure”, but it seems it’s going to be painfully slow and will choke and impinge the actual backbone of Dublin’s public transport service. The jury is out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Can anyone tell me exactly where the grangegorman stop is?

david75 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me exactly where the grangegorman stop is?

They're all on Google Maps now:

https://goo.gl/maps/TEEV2rLYnJu

I believe access is up that laneway past HJ Nolans, but I'm guessing there will be directional signage when you get there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Cool thanks. I live here and have no Idea where it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

So. I get the red line into town and walk to Harcourt st for work. Yesterday I moved office. Cross city would have been handy 😂

The important figure in my mind is how long will it take to get from st Stephen green to abbey st to connect.
    Atm it takes me about 14 mins of a walk from Jervis to st Stephen green luas. I expected it won't be much shorter.

But time will tell

• Advertisement

Worth saving this image!

435698.png

As an aside: I thought we were getting Broombridge to Sandyford only, not Bride's Glen?

Advertisement