Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Construction started in June 2013. So 4.5 years construction, average of 1.25km a year on average. 368,000,000 , ridiculous disruption. Laughable journey times through city centre. Massive impact on other forms of traffic.

I am absolutely against further Luas extensions on street in city centre... causes issues with cyclists. Damages business on route in short term, turns out the short term isn't a year or two though, four and a half bloody years! I'd go with underground or more bus priority measures. I think surface tram in Dublin is a joke in city centre...

The proposed extension out to poolbeg. alternative, run electric buses over the new public transport bridge over dodder, in town in several minutes!

Buses out to tender, hopefully Dublin bus don't get it. Strike threat pretty much also removed then!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I believe main infrastructure works only began in June 2015 and that it's a bit misleading to say 2013 is how long construction has been going on for.

trellheim wrote: »
    Busy at Phibsboro stop today

Waiting at phibsboro

It's funny to think people were worried that the Phibsboro stop would be too narrow - there's loads of room!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's funny to think people were worried that the Phibsboro stop would be too narrow - there's loads of room!
    Depends on how many pigeons are on the ledges above. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I wonder what it will be like during the 20 minute gap in service inbound during the morning peak on a weekday morning?

• Advertisement

LXFlyer wrote: »
    I wonder what it will be like during the 20 minute gap in service inbound during the morning peak on a weekday morning?

Depends what time that gap is at. I still don't think it'll be busy enough to fill the platform. Even Jervis or Abbey don't fill the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭trellheim

that pic was at about 1200 today. I went in and out on it and today was actual users going places . If its 20 min intervals its going to be rammed with the first commuters trying getting northside to Sandyford . suggest 46a from south stairs instead as slower but more potential for seats
    Even Jervis or Abbey don't fill the platform.
    Beg to differ, thats where I work (Jervis) , outside the SPAR and the oriental market is absolutely packed all the time every 5 or 6 mins.

that pic was at about 1200 today. I went in and out on it and today was actual users going places . If its 20 min intervals its going to be rammed with the first commuters trying getting northside to Sandyford . suggest 46a from south stairs instead as slower but more potential for seats

Beg to differ, thats where I work (Jervis) , outside the SPAR and the oriental market is absolutely packed all the time every 5 or 6 mins.

Its packed, but I've rarely seen it so full that you can't walk along behind the pillars that are at the back of the platform. And I guess my point is that Phibsboro will be significantly less busy than those stops.

Depends what time that gap is at. I still don't think it'll be busy enough to fill the platform. Even Jervis or Abbey don't fill the platform.

07:20 - 07:40

But the rest of the gaps until after 09:24 are a minimum of 13 minutes, extending to 18 minutes.

I have posted the morning peak timetable ex-Broombridge twice already in this thread btw - maybe have a look at them.

That’s going to be a tight fit if many people come out expecting normal LUAS frequencies.

I wouldn’t share your view that Phibsboro will be quiet - with entrances at both ends I’d expect quite the opposite (although not as busy as Jervis or Abbey, but with the long gaps the crowd will build up).

That may change when people see how poor the frequency is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

But the rest of the gaps until after 09:24 are a minimum of 13 minutes, extending to 18 minutes.

That’s going to be a tight fit if many people come out expecting normal LUAS frequencies.

I wouldn’t share your view that Phibsboro will be quiet - with entrances at both ends I’d expect quite the opposite.

But surely, if there is the traffic, then there will be trams. An extra tram or two an hour continuing on instead of turning at Parnell would reduce the wait times. I am not sure they have enough trams, but I thought they had quite a few spare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I have posted the morning peak timetable ex-Broombridge twice already in this thread btw - maybe have a look at them.

I wouldn’t share your view that Phibsboro will be quiet - with entrances at both ends I’d expect quite the opposite (although not as busy as Jervis or Abbey, but with the long gaps the crowd will build up).

That may change when people see how poor the frequency is.
    Looking at that gap has made me reconsider tomorrow.
    I can drive into work in the city centre in about 20/25 minutes from Cabra.
    An 18 minute wait plus 20 journey time doubles my journey.

But surely, if there is the traffic, then there will be trams. An extra tram or two an hour continuing on instead of turning at Parnell would reduce the wait times. I am not sure they have enough trams, but I thought they had quite a few spare.

There aren’t enough trams, and won’t be until the seven new trams are delivered and commissioned in the Spring.

Otherwise the service on the original section of the Green Line would have to be cut.

Using the NTA Journey Planner or the NTA Real Time app means you won’t be waiting, but how many people check LUAS times before heading to the stop, with most expecting a turn up and go frequency?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Surely you can check the times on the RPI section of luas.ie.

Looks like only one in three trams is going to Broombridge rather than turning at Parnell during the early rush. That will change if there is the call for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Looks like only one in three trams is going to Broombridge rather than turning at Parnell during the early rush. That will change if there is the call for it.
    Yeah thats not a show and go service. Simply time it with app...

Did you not read my post above. That can’t happen until the seven new trams are commissioned, which won’t be until the Spring.

There are not enough trams to operate an enhanced service from Broombridge without cutting service levels over the existing frequency between St Stephen’s Green and Brides Glen in both directions, which I would suggest would result in a lot of complaints.

As LxF says they don't have the trams to do more than a skeleton service at the mo , they new 55m trams arent in service yet for the next few months.

See http://railcolornews.com/2017/11/20/ie-luas-cross-city-alstoms-citadis-trams-arrive-in-dublin/

As LxF says they don't have the trams to do more than a skeleton service at the mo , they new 55m trams arent in service yet for the next few months.

See http://railcolornews.com/2017/11/20/ie-luas-cross-city-alstoms-citadis-trams-arrive-in-dublin/

Yes, and their entrance into service and the impact of the subsequent required changes in the traffic light sequences (due to their length) will be very interesting!

The TFI journey planner doesn't seem to understand that the Phibsboro stop is accessible from both ends

rCHF23A_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Using the NTA Journey Planner or the NTA Real Time app means you won’t be waiting, but how many people check LUAS times before heading to the stop, with most expecting a turn up and go frequency?

Does the app increase the frequency of the trams? :confused:

• Advertisement

I think its meant you can plan ahead to time your arrival with that of a tram rather than waiting on a cold platform.

The journey planner app is adding 6 minutes walking time from station entrance to platform at stops like Cabra and Phibsboro. Really strange choice, presumably they've decided they should include time to get a ticket or something like that. Not useful if you're not paying attention!

I think its meant you can plan ahead to time your arrival with that of a tram rather than waiting on a cold platform.

A one minute window every 18 minutes to take a 20 minute journey means You'll still be waiting though, not understanding this is why people stay in their cars no matter how many policy sticks they're beaten with

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Athenry/Claremorris still in the pipeline.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Athenry/Claremorris still in the pipeline.
    Still a pipedream you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

mickmmc wrote: »
    Took the Luas from SSG to Broombridge. The service was busy. Many from Sandyford line stayed on the tram and got off at Dawson, Westmoreland and O' Connell street. That could be a trend that could develop.

I don't think it's a trend which is going to develop much.

Over the weekend, there were shoppers, some workers and some gawkers on the line.

From tomorrow, when you have pretty much the full complement of workers, and also the shoppers (and some gawkers) I imagine you'll find that a greater number of people from Sandyford/Cherrywood will be staying on at St. Stephen's Green rather than getting off, and will be heading onwards, particularly to parts deeper in the city centre.

And that'll be the end of the trend you mention: because that pattern will continue. I fully expect the stop pair at Westmoreland Street and Trinity to be the busiest 'stop' on the line when the first figures come out.

Remember, until now passengers along the Green Line had no alternative but to alight at St. Stephen's Green.

I very much welcome the arrival of this new facility in Dublin, one which will surely be a colossal success, but it is a disgrace that it is coming around 13 years after it should have done, thanks to Minister Mammy 'I still need just one more consultant's report' O' Rourke.

because that pattern will continue. I fully expect the stop pair at Westmoreland Street and Trinity to be the busiest 'stop' on the line when the first figures come out.

Thankfully the stop at Westmoreland street is on a narrow section of pavement with very little room now that there's a luas stop in the centre of it so that should work out fine with a large volume of passengers :o

Bambi wrote: »
    A one minute window every 18 minutes to take a 20 minute journey means You'll still be waiting though, not understanding this is why people stay in their cars no matter how many policy sticks they're beaten with

You said it was a 20/25 minute journey into the city centre from Cabra. Being generous, 25 minutes at rush hour will get you to Jervis.

You could get from Cabra to Marlborough Street on the Green Line in about 14 minutes. By the time the car driver has gotten to Jervis, the Luas passenger will be at St Stephen's Green, or maybe further south!

Of course, with the car then you've got to go find a parking spot, and pay for that all day.

Yes, you're right, I don't understand car commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Bambi wrote: »
    Thankfully the stop at Westmoreland street is on a narrow section of pavement with very little room now that there's a luas stop in the centre of it so that should work out fine with a large volume of passengers :o

Wider than Abbey Street so shouldn't be a problem....

• Advertisement

You said it was a 20/25 minute journey into the city centre from Cabra. Being generous, 25 minutes at rush hour will get you to Jervis.

You could get from Cabra to Marlborough Street on the Green Line in about 14 minutes. By the time the car driver has gotten to Jervis, the Luas passenger will be at St Stephen's Green, or maybe further south!

Of course, with the car then you've got to go find a parking spot, and pay for that all day.

Yes, you're right, I don't understand car commuters.

I never said anything, the original poster said that they can make their morning commute from Cabra in about 20 minutes in their car and thus a luas every 18 minutes is of no real benefit to them

I'm just pointing out that RTPI does nothing to change this and thinking it does is daft.

Advertisement