Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Then freq needs to drop to 10 minutes like the Red Line and even go 15 minutes now. As I said it's new but still would of expected them to be much stronger. Terminating at Parnell is good during the day but at night time O'Connell street is largely empty (it's a little like Connolly 7am-7pm). Now if the case that numbers pick up from Trinity/Westmorland then of course you have to run to Parnell. As for savings prob 25-30 mins per service and if drivers can work for around 9 hours they could make big savings.

How many people would be a reasonable amount? Also I'd take today's frequency with a pinch of salt. Trams where all over the place following the morning. The one I got at Harcourt waited 4 minutes to depart to allow the one in front time to space out. The one behind came about 2 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

How many people would be a reasonable amount? Also I'd take today's frequency with a pinch of salt. Trams where all over the place following the morning. The one I got at Harcourt waited 4 minutes to depart to allow the one in front time to space out. The one behind came about 2 minutes later.

I agree, some playing around with schedule is needed and can benefit the full Green Line when it happens. As for reasonable numbers, hard to say using the quiet parts of the Red Line at night time Busaras to the Point which the freq is 10 mins up until 9ish, 15 mins up until maybe 11ish and then 20 until close of business. Prob generally get 15-20 but gets busy in the center quickly and thins out past James.

Improved rail service can only help next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

strandroad wrote: »
    Here we have fancy names and no progress in sight.

...said in a thread about the opening of a new Luas extension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

AngryLips wrote: »
    ...said in a thread about the opening of a new Luas extension

It's open. It's a single tram line extension.

There is nothing else in the works though, not even at this level.

It's open. It's a single tram line extension.

There is nothing else in the works though, not even at this level.

In fairness it's the third extension in 12 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

In fairness it's the third extension in 12 years

And still we have two lines only, while comparable cities have tram lines in double digits (as well as some form of underground transport) and such extensions are daily business to them.
    We are underserved by an order of magnitude, and we have no open projects to even start catching up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Lads, if its every 10 minutes it defeats the cross city aspect. Even 5 mins wait and you would walk half the cross city part ...

Would love a train running down the m50

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

bpb101 wrote: »
    Lads, if its every 10 minutes it defeats the cross city aspect. Even 5 mins wait and you would walk half the cross city part ...

Nobody bothers using the outside lane so you could throw some tracks down there no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

bpb101 wrote: »

Cross City is just a buzzword.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nilescraneo

Next move has to be a congestion charge, or something to seriously disincentivize private cars in the city centre at peak times. Busses (cross city routes especially, that serve areas with no luas/rail) are getting absolutely crippled at the moment because they're being forced to compete for such scarce road space, now with added trams thrown into the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

MJohnston wrote: »
    Fair enough it wasn't you said that originally, however what I said still applies to them.

I have free parking in the city centre.
    Saying that..o connell bridge to the top of dolier at was 20 minutes in the car this morning!

And still we have two lines only, while comparable cities have tram lines in double digits (as well as some form of underground transport) and such extensions are daily business to them.
    We are underserved by an order of magnitude, and we have no open projects to even start catching up...
    I agree the smart move would be to have several projects shovel ready and as one ends another starts. However all that being said significant progress has been made in infrastructure in this country over the last 25 years. We now need to refocus that progress from roads to urban rail, bus and cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Bordeaux have daily ridership triple current LUAS volumes and only have 3 lines...

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

How was the Luas this morning? Presuming there was no signal faults, was there any extra congestion this morning with normal operations?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

If they wanted to ban taxis could they announce it today and stop them tomorrow or would it need a notice period and consultation etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,307 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

How was the Luas this morning? Presuming there was no signal faults, was there any extra congestion this morning with normal operations?

Quays back to pre Bus lane change levels. LUAS service itself southwards hit and miss due to traffic blocking the line around Dawson St. Nowhere near as bad as yesterday, but bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Quays back to pre Bus lane change levels. LUAS service itself southwards hit and miss due to traffic blocking the line around Dawson St. Nowhere near as bad as yesterday, but bad.

When you say the Quays were back to pre bus lane levels, I presume you mean for buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Could they not divert half the buses down the Luas red line tracks?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

If tracking illegally blocking line. Could they not have dash cam, video or photo it and fine or points in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,307 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MJohnston wrote: »
    When you say the Quays were back to pre bus lane levels, I presume you mean for buses?

Inelegantly worded - yes, the quays were slow for buses this morning akin to pre the ormonde quay bus lane changes a couple of months back.

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Could they not divert half the buses down the Luas red line tracks?

Or better yet . Not via the Pillar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nilescraneo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If tracking illegally blocking line. Could they not have dash cam, video or photo it and fine or points in the post?

Response I got from DCC about using cameras with regards to traffic blocking bus only priority measures on the North Quays earlier in the year:

"As you have correctly identified, traffic enforcement is a Garda matter. DCC is not empowered by legislation to take enforcement action for traffic offences (beyond parking). If cameras were installed for the purposes of enforcing the Road Traffic Act, this too would be a Garda concern."

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shepinaheap

Got a luas from BBridge at 8 , took approx 35 mins to Harcourt . Much better than yesterday. Seems like the real issues were coming in from the south side this morning.
     Lack of real time info still frustrating , its pot luck as regards how long you have to wait for a tram to arrive, both online/apps and station display are all over the place and inaccurate 
    Was it any better for bus users today ?

Got a luas from BBridge at 8 , took approx 35 mins to Harcourt . Much better than yesterday. Seems like the real issues were coming in from the south side this morning.
     Lack of real time info still frustrating , its pot luck as regards how long you have to wait for a tram to arrive, both online/apps and station display are all over the place and inaccurate 
    Was it any better for bus users today ?
    hang on, after it started moving, at broombridge,it took 35 mins? That is shocking if so!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

From what I heard the traffic corps were out this morning managing certain junctions, to make sure the trams had a clear run. That's not really a solution

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Bambi wrote: »
    From what I heard the traffic corps were out this morning managing certain junctions, to make sure the trams had a clear run.  That's not really a solution
    Yes it is - sets the behaviour expectation, and allows DCC engineers get quick feedback to tweak the junction timings

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dardania wrote: »
    Yes it is - sets the behaviour expectation, and allows DCC engineers get quick feedback to tweak the junction timings

From what I heard they were not enforcing the traffic laws but the opposite.

They were intervening and manually controlling traffic to allow trams to pass, How's that going to set behaviour expectation? :confused:

Could this not be done remotely and electronically by someone surveying it by camera ?! In this day and age, surely the technology is there not tonne using "dumb" systems any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Travelled this morning for the first time from Broombridge to Stephen's Green.

Reckon that staying on the train to Pearse and walking would have been quicker. Big issues from Dominick onwards with time taken because of road traffic.

Buses need to use the road space but some banning of taxis during rush hours would be welcome. College Green changes needed badly too but problem is knock-on effect on buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Bambi wrote: »
    Dardania wrote: »

From what I heard they were not enforcing the traffic laws but the opposite.

They were intervening and manually controlling traffic to allow trams to pass, How's that going to set behaviour expectation? :confused:
    Okay, didn't realise that was what they're at - that's a slow way to set the expectation, and is really just fire fighting... Hopefully DCC are out there, learning lessons and changing the traffic flows to suit

Advertisement