Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

bk wrote: »
    You are right, it does need to be well done. But for a city the size of Dublin, it really doesn't have to be heavy rail.

Barcelona style Metro works extremely well and is very suited to Dublin.

Of course if we end up with crippled 60 meter station boxes, that would be a travesty. But for instance 86m long Barcelona Metro trains seem to work extremely well and their Metro network carries 426 million people a year!

The problem with saying that we should build it as full on heavy rail, is that it would cost about a billion more then a decent Metro, which would make the project even less likely to get off the ground. And less likely that we would get future lines.

What I'm hoping for is a well speced Barcelona style Metro with 90m station boxes. And that it will just be the first of many future metro lines, just like they have in Barcelona. If it is expensive heavy rail, which IMO would be overkill, with little benefit and stuck in the quagmire of Irish Rail, then we will never achieve this.

I agree with all this. What I'm saying, simply, heavy rail or no heavy rail, Metro North needs to be done properly without any of this street running or surface bull****. It's going to be quickly swamped if so.

There is a great opportunity to do something right here and at the same time there's massive potential for it to be an expensive half baked turd similar to the original M50, original N40 roundabouts, Green Line stopping at SSG etc.

The potential for growth along the Swords-SSG corridor is huge, even more so when you include SSG-Sandyford. Having a high capacity, high frequency, segregated rail corridor from Swords-Sandyford is on the forum here a dream. In reality, it's an absolute necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

yabadabado wrote: »
    Wouldnt like to see a congestion charge introduced.The fairest way is a ban on private vechicles/taxi's in certain areas at peak times.

I think the congestion charge is coming, I would not be at all surprised if it was proposed/introduced AFTER the next General Election.
    cgcsb wrote: »
    Not an issue at all, they are two lines, you interchange between them. if you have a 3 minute frequency it's not a problem at all.

The problem is, at present, we don't have a three minute frequency because:
    a) Bizzarly there aren't enough trams
    b) DCC wants to keep lots of cars blocking the route, despite having had 4 years to prepare for this.

In Relation to B I think DCC wants no cars in Dublin City centre period.
    There solution to the problem seems to be create a scenario where the problem cannot occur rather than fix the problem itself.
    It'd be like the solution to a broken clock being "Don't let anybody look at this clock to tell the time" as opposed to actually fixing the clock.
    You know, I'm kind of wondering if all this chaos actually suits the NTA/Dept of Transport!

They can now point to all the delays and chaos and say told you so to the politicians and go back and implement the following:

- Full car ban from the Quays
    - Ban of taxi's from the tracks
    - Closure of College Green

Basically what they wanted from the start.

Banning cars from the quays will not work, the traffic has to go somewhere. It's not just going to disappear.
    You can't ban Taxis from the tracks. They will strike and cause chaos.
    You cannot close college green either, the route is effectively closed to everyone except buses, taxis and bikes as it is.
    I only walked by there yesterday, the place is "A Wash" with Dublin Bus Yellow. Must have been at least 15 to 20 Buses in the area. No cars, very very few taxi's.
    The Luas can carry more people than a Dublin Bus can length for length btw

Ultimately I am glad the Luas Green Line was extended. The City does need it. But the traffic issues that exist in the city are not going to just "Go Away" by banning cars from certain roads or imposing congestion charges.

If we know one thing, it's that Dubs (Irish People) like driving their cars and most would avoid public transport if possible. Imposing restrictions/levies on people for driving something that costs a fortune to run as it is, is wrong.
    We pay tax to use the roads, we should be allowed to use the roads of the capital

If you're bringing 2 or more small kids into town, public transport is a nightmare. I've been there/done that/bought the T-Shirt.

Ultimately if DCC really wanted to fix the traffic problem they need to do the following:
    1: Starting knocking buildings to widen the roads.
    2: Knock the railway bridge between Pearse and Connolly Stations and rebuild. The supports for that bridge acts as choke points around town.
    3: Narrow the Liffey and add additional Lanes.
    4: Remove the one way system nonsense around town.
    5: Knock all the canal Bridges and widen them.
    6: Build huge multi story car parks just past the canals.
    7: Remove the toll from the east link bridge and allow cars to turn right off the Sam Beckett bridge
    8: Connect Heuston to Connolly/Tara/Pearse via Dart Underground

I get it that the cost of the above would be absolutely colossal, and given this is Ireland they'd probably f*ck a lot of it up.

But they above is the only real solution. It particular knocking buildings to widen the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

grahambo wrote: »
    Banning cars from the quays will not work, the traffic has to go somewhere. It's not just going to disappear.

I believe the evidence from all over the world suggests otherwise. Car levels adjust to the space available, upwards or downwards.

This evidence invalidates most of your other points.

And as for not banning taxis because they will go on strike...!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

If buses are going to share the tracks with LUAS then they should behave. Idiot bus driver was parked at a bus stop on Dawson st this morning with the ass of the bus covering the tracks, blocking the LUAS. Didn’t seem like there was even anyone on the bus, he was just having a nice yap to another bus driver from what I could see. Dublin Bus should be fined for this carry on.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I believe the evidence from all over the world suggests otherwise. Car levels adjust to the space available, upwards or downwards.

This evidence invalidates most of your other points.

And as for not banning taxis because they will go on strike...!

I get what you're talking about: Build a road and it will attract extra cars.

But I think we're approaching a fork in relation to Infrastructure in Dublin city.
    I'm not sure how everyone else feels but the worst part of my day is the commute to and from work. I don't even have to go that far but it bugs me so much.
    I hate having to come into Dublin City. Such to the extent I was prepared to take a paycut when moving Jobs in 2015 if it meant I didn't have to go into the City Centre. Rathfarnham / Sandyford was the commute

The generation after mine is even more extreme when it comes to this, they move jobs every few years, they don't stay in Jobs long term. We are finding it exceptionally difficult to hire younger staff, because they are not interested in commuting. (We're based in Harcourt street, I'm the youngest person here by loads and I'm 35!!!)
    The younger staff we do hire live within walking distance.

Also younger people all want to own cars which in my mind is crazy given the cost of starting to learn to Drive.

Even on the train in this morning their are F*ck all people in there 20's on it. They all want to drive or walk to work.

It seems to be a growing trend, they are prepared to sit in traffic for hours if it means they don't have to use Public transport.

What it will mean long term is that people will just stop coming into the city centre (They'll find jobs outside Dublin City or Work from Home). This is not good for Dublin City as a whole.

I think I'll be following suit with younger people as it makes total sense. I'm living in Raheny now, I'd nearly guarantee my next Job will be in somewhere like East Point business park, Swords, maybe IFSC up by the point. I will not be crossing the Liffey.
    At the moment I can use motorcycle and get in, in 20 mins if I'm lucky Or get the trains to Pearse and walk, takes about 45 mins if I time it right. But can be over and hour.

Not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Chivito550 wrote: »
    If buses are going to share the tracks with LUAS then they should behave. Idiot bus driver was parked at a bus stop on Dawson st this morning with the ass of the bus covering the tracks, blocking the LUAS. Didn’t seem like there was even anyone on the bus, he was just having a nice yap to another bus driver from what I could see. Dublin Bus should be fined for this carry on.

Similar yesterday, Dublin Bus in a yellow box blocked the Luas near Connolly. Pedestrians crossing all around them as they couldn't see the lights, so they were still on the road when the lights changed, further delaying the traffic.
    Someone will blame it on the Luas, while the truth is the public needs to grow up and fast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You know, I'm kind of wondering if all this chaos actually suits the NTA/Dept of Transport!

They can now point to all the delays and chaos and say told you so to the politicians and go back and implement the following:

- Full car ban from the Quays
    - Ban of taxi's from the tracks
    - Closure of College Green

Basically what they wanted from the start.
    It is too fiendish and clever a plan.
    I think the congestion charge is coming, I would not be at all surprised if it was proposed/introduced AFTER the next General Election.
    I can't see it happening at all, completely misses the need. Either a ban or even a bollard system so that deliveries can run thorough at night, outside of peak public transport hours, or ANPR for certain times to issue automatic fines.
    well, actually, it might, studies have shown that bar a few weeks or months of annoyance, traffic is incredibly adaptable.
    You cannot close college green either, the route is effectively closed to everyone except buses, taxis and bikes as it is.
    Talking to a taxi driver on another forum awhile ago, and he said while customers are annoyed, he would get the same business, with the odd slightly higher fare. most people will walk to the outskirts of the banned area and that would be that. A few lazy or drunk people will pay the extra to go around. There are a few examples that will need working on to solve but in general, it won't be an issue
    I only walked by there yesterday, the place is "A Wash" with Dublin Bus Yellow. Must have been at least 15 to 20 Buses in the area. No cars, very very few taxi's.
    They should still complement each other, I imagine it is an issue that will have to be looked at in regards timetabling and most likely a revision of routes after a short bedding in period, unfortunately, while there is a heavy car and taxi presence (and delivery vans in the middle of the day FFS), it will be a bit of a waste.
    Ultimately I am glad the Luas Green Line was extended. The City does need it. But the traffic issues that exist in the city are not going to just "Go Away" by banning cars from certain roads or imposing congestion charges.
    I don't see the point in the congestion charge myself but a ban will help, over time as PT becomes more reliable and is a more valid alternative (or the only one) then you will see it "go away".
    If we know one thing, it's that Dubs (Irish People) like driving their cars and most would avoid public transport if possible. Imposing restrictions/levies on people for driving something that costs a fortune to run as it is, is wrong.
    We pay tax to use the roads, we should be allowed to use the roads of the capital
    No, you should be allowed use the roads in a manner that is complimentary to the people who live and work there as well as is functional for a city. Paying tax should have no bearing on that, it is no different than the congestion charge if that is what you look at, I can pay, therefore I should be allowed.
    If you're bringing 2 or more small kids into town, public transport is a nightmare. I've been there/done that/bought the T-Shirt.
    So have I, its not that bad, I have brought 6 nieces and nephews into the city centre at Christmas with only two adults and it was more than doable. This said, with improvements ito PT over time, should other things happen, the above scenario should become easier.
    Ultimately if DCC really wanted to fix the traffic problem they need to do the following:
    No, other than insist that all new or rebuilt buildings be taller/more floors, it does not make sense.
    2: Knock the railway bridge between Pearse and Connolly Stations and rebuild. The supports for that bridge acts as choke points around town.
    Why? They certainly are not the reasons for the choke points in that area.
    This is an insane idea, and cities in the US have shown, it does not solve any issues at all, just creates more.
    To what purpose?
    Other than widening the footpath on them, which I doubt is your point, there is no need for this.
    Passed the M50, way past the M50.
    7: Remove the toll from the east link bridge and allow cars to turn right off the Sam Beckett bridge
    Robbing Peter to Pay Paul
    I would agree only for the fact that you have the LUAS, the tunnel under Phoenix Park and the 145 and 90.

Why has off peak frequency gone so bad? 11 mins at Dawson now, 15 mins at trinity yesterday evening. Wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I get it that the cost of the above would be absolutely colossal, and given this is Ireland they'd probably f*ck a lot of it up.

But they above is the only real solution. It particular knocking buildings to widen the roads.

This is the most insane post I've read on boards in quite some time! Knock down the city to make it easier for people in cars to drive into it...oof

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There solution to the problem seems to be create a scenario where the problem cannot occur rather than fix the problem itself.
    It'd be like the solution to a broken clock being "Don't let anybody look at this clock to tell the time" as opposed to actually fixing the clock.

You are barking man, go to some yankee sh!thole like LA if that's what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

I've never been in a city that has had large parts pedestrianised that hasn't been improved by same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

The above is just breath-taking. Turn the city centre in a commercial park basically... Sandyford-on-Liffey.

Also lol that you think the taximen objecting to a few road closures/congestion charge makes these impossible but yet you seem to think decimating the city centre and destroying people's homes/businesses/parks etc so petrol heads can drive around would be more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I think that poster is some kind of troll emulating a 1960s yankee road planner. His vision was implemented in Belfast....nuff said.

Wowzer people not into the idea of widening roads at all

I never said the above would be easy, it would be the biggest infrastructure change ever taken by DCC

Proof is in the Pudding though boy and girls:

I've argue the main roads into Town are:

North:
    Coast Road
    Howth Road
    Malahide Road
    Dorset Street
    Phibsborough Road

West
    Navan Road
    Chapelizod Road
    Chapelizod Bypass
    Long Mile Road/Naas Road

South:
    Kimmage Road
    Harolds Cross Road
    Rathgar Road
    Sandyford Road
    Northumberland/Morehampton Road
    Merrion Road

With the Exception of the Malahide road and Chapelizod Bypass
    All of the above roads are only 2 or 3 lanes wide for significant stretches of the road. (2 normal lanes and a bus lane either in or out)

In the areas/sections that only have 2 lanes major trafic delays occur.

The roads IMO should be 2 normal lanes a Bus lane in an out of the city or most of the major routes.
    Minimum being 4 lanes on the Road (2 bus lanes, 2 normal lanes, in and out)

There are plenty of places the road could be widened with only a small number of buildings knocked.
    Amien St is a good example. Parking spaces either side of the road could easily be converted into additional traffic lanes
    The problem there is when it gets to the railway bridge, the pillars supporting the bridge reduce traffic to 1.5 lanes in, that combined with the buses trying to cross said lane and turn right onto Abbey street causes delays.

The problem is worse when you go onto the south side of the city, the roads are old and narrow, and a lot them are only 2 lanes wide..

They've no problem putting a compulsory purchase order on a mate of mines family home so they Pave a Motorway through it in Wexford, Why should old sh*tty awful looking buildings in Dublin be any different?

Also I believe the same is also true of the Railway lines between Howth Junction and Pearse. An additional track would be major improvement on what is a very congested line.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Holy jaysus:eek:

Your "plan" is complete nonsense.

We can thank Wide streets commission in the 18th and 19th Century for having any wide streets at all. Streets like Dame street, D'olier street, Westmoreland street and many others were drastically widened in the program.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Streets_Commission

We didn't fare so well when the Brits left, the damage done by DCC to the inner city in the 20th century is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Where does the Northbound Green line become the Southbound green line (when it's on the loop)?

I'll be in town on Friday night and will be buying a return ticket. On the return I want to get on the Luas in OCS, rather that have to walk over to Malborough Street. Technically if I get on in OCS I could be taking another southbound trip without a valid ticket. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Where does the Northbound Green line become the Southbound green line (when it's on the loop)?

I'll be in town on Friday night and will be buying a return ticket. On the return I want to get on the Luas in OCS, rather that have to walk over to Malborough Street. Technically if I get on in OCS I could be taking another southbound trip without a valid ticket. Anyone know?

When the third star of Aquarius is behind the dark side of the moon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ozzy jr wrote: »

Tag on at Abbey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Tag on at Abbey.
    Abbey is on the other line, so don't do that.

They start heading southbound again at Parnell (if not going to Broombridge).

Marlborough stop is frankly the best bet. It's a two minute walk along Abbey St- hardly that big a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Wowzer people not into the idea of widening roads at all

I never said the above would be easy, it would be the biggest infrastructure change ever taken by DCC

People aren't into the idea not because it would be difficult, but because increasing road space doesn't ease traffic congestion. The extra road space would pretty quickly be filled and you're right back where you started.

Edit: what LeinsterDub posted:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Can we not just widen them again after that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

<snip>

Now, that I do agree with - this car bashing ideology is just a cop out IMO…
    I only walked by there yesterday, the place is "A Wash" with Dublin Bus Yellow. Must have been at least 15 to 20 Buses in the area. No cars, very very few taxi’s.
    ...well banning cars in the absence of credible alternatives like rail based transport solutions (complete with proper Park'n'Ride facilities) will not work. Also as you said, cars are not the only things to travel along regular roads. Indeed, anti-road ideology could also be viewed as anti-bus, anti-truck and anti-service vehicles including the emergency services. In fact, we do have an anti-commuter car motorway - it's the section of M50 that lies beneath Dublin's Northside - this road is used by both bus and freight vehicles while motorists pay a very high premium for its use during the rush.

Well what I can’t understand is why there’s so little attempt to get on with extending the Luas Cross City line towards Finglas and beyond to a major park’n’ride site - perhaps, the M2 Parkway near Coldwinters.
    Well, we simply can't accommodate the massive volume of cars that would be travelling into the city centre - there just isn’t the space. That said, what annoys me is that it’s all stick and no carrot for the motorists who pay very dearly for their cars - the billions in contributions (directly and indirectly) that motorists make to the state coffers - well it’s high time for the state to cough up and get the Metro North, DART Inter-Connector and DART expansion programme (complete with massive park’n’ride facilities) built.
    Well car trips for shopping and touring purposes must still be accommodated.

Now, the following is where we diverge by way of opinion…
    They did that in England and it didn’t work - Birmingham is a clear example…
    Don’t you touch our railway! :D Seriously though, you would need to close that railway entirely so carry out such work. There was a proposal in the 1990s to completely realign the railway from Grand Canal Dock via a large new rail terminal at Spencer Dock to East Wall where the Northern and Western lines diverge - that path however is now built on.
    In terms of potamology, narrowing the Liffey would be like narrowing the M50. In fact, it is national policy to widen/deepen rivers (even some bridges need to be knocked) in light of climate change (whether natural or man made). The max volume of water that the Liffey is likely to handle is going to be increasingly larger as the decades roll by - there's also the slightly higher tides with the very gradual but sure increase in sea levels.
    One way systems help to lessen conflicts between crossing traffic streams at any given location - for example, an intersection of two two-way streets will require four signal phases to handle just the traffic (pedestrians may need their own phase) - an intersection of two one-way streets will require 3 phases at most (pedestrians included).
    That IMO would be rather drastic - in fact, there was a plan in the 1960’s and 70’s that went even further - to fill in the canals and build motorways in their place - I’m quite glad that didn’t happen and I say that as a motorway enthusiast. However, your idea for knocking all of the canal bridges would remove so much urban character - I guess you envisage stone faced arch replacements, but even those would be largely concrete (otherwise, the cost and disruption would be too great) - particularly the undersides.
    There are already a lot of multi-storey car parks built to accommodate shoppers and visitors to the city centre - perhaps one or two more are needed. For commuting however, huge carparks should be built just outside the M50 where there are high quality transit links - a clear example is the Luas P+R at the Red Cow Interchange - all major train stations should also include P+R facilities.
    <snip>
    Agreed! For what the East Link is, it is ridiculous to expect motorists to pay a toll to cross a 2 lane bridge of around 150m in length. It is also annoying to pay for the tunnel (OK, nothing wrong with €3 for a 4.5km tunnel) but then to have to pay for the East Link thereafter when crossing the city - what a rip-off IMO!

Explain the 15 min off peak frequencies. This is ridiculous.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Explain the 15 min off peak frequencies. This is ridiculous.
    I think there are an extra 7 trams on order - AFAIK, the current timetable is provisional.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well Im glad you're not on the planning board anyway. Its people with opinions like yours that ruined europes beautiful cities, knock down historic roads and widen them for the oh so convenient car which will be extinct in the relatively near future.
    No future major city development plan should revolve around cars in any shape or form, PT is the future, not cars.

And plenty of roads were widened in Dublin before and it was not for the betterment of the city.
    Cuff Street old
    aa2be0ad4b1d3e0eee45e413cb990508.jpg

Cuff Street 'new and improved' under your kind of planning style
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3376753,-6.2645036,3a,75y,198.77h,90.46t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVHUdgPmVIEgRG20UwkZxcw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DVHUdgPmVIEgRG20UwkZxcw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D185.80844%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

And plenty of other old Dublin streets no longer exist due to widening for the beautiful automobile

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Bambi wrote: »
    Looks better with the trees anyway

Trees are always nice but anyway, the street is now lifeless and dominated by traffic. The point is road widening is the worst idea ever.

• Advertisement

I notice from a very recent video of Dublin that the bike is really starting to ruin the city. Many street corners are starting to clog up with bikes chained to poles and such must be a clear hazard to people with visual impairment as well as a nuisance to those using wheelchairs. Naturally, it doesn't add to the city's aesthetics either. In short, planning policy remains wide of the mark - Dublin needs a comprehensive rail based transport solution and needs it now.

Advertisement