Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Would the longer trams be required across OCB though.

I understand completely that the Grangegorman campus may rack up the usage. But other than that, why would longer trams be required. My apologies if I do not understand the logistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Would the longer trams be required across OCB though.

I understand completely that the Grangegorman campus may rack up the usage. But other than that, why would longer trams be required. My apologies if I do not understand the logistics.
    Yes they would but they will be too long to stop on OCB.

Because they are at wedge capacity in the morning already without factoring in the expected 10 million additional journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

They where running to the RTI but Broombridge trams where only 10 minutes.

Trams during the evening peak (17:00-18:00) are scheduled to depart Broombridge at 17:06, 17:20, 17:36, 17:48 and 18:00.

Scheduled peak frequency on the two extremities of the Green Line (Broombridge-Parnell & Sandyford-Brides Glen) is not anywhere near an acceptable level as yet.

All of the resources have been focussed on delivering a morning peak 3 minute frequency and evening peak frequency of every 4 minutes between Sandyford and Parnell and v.v.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

I would like to see all cars (taxis included) and cyclists banned from any route of tramlines in the city centre - private transport has no business there.

1. Pedestrians
    2. Trams
    3. Buses

Nothing else on the tramways within the city centre during the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

donvito99 wrote: »
    New trams (longer) are being purchased and existing trams on the green line are being lengthened to match.

They have been purchased and are currently being delivered. They purchased additional sections that will being the length up to 9 units/sections long per tram. There are a couple of 9 unit trams already in the depots. Im not sure if they have had a run yet but due to enter service in early Feb.

• Advertisement

Winters wrote: »
    They have been purchased and are currently being delivered. They purchased additional sections that will being the length up to 9 units/sections long per tram. There are a couple of 9 unit trams already in the depots. Im not sure if they have had a run yet but due to enter service in early Feb.

The first of them is undergoing commissioning tests - it will have to clock up a certain amount of mileage before entering service.

Testing would be at night I imagine.

Middle Man wrote: »
    I would like to see all cars (taxis included) and cyclists banned from any route of tramlines in the city centre - private transport has no business there.

1. Pedestrians
    2. Trams
    3. Buses

Nothing else on the tramways within the city centre during the day!
    Why cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

Why cyclist?

Because they hate cyclists with a passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,306 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why cyclist?
    markpb wrote: »

Parts of the Tram route (Dawson Street / College Green / Parnell Square) seem unsuitable for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

markpb wrote: »

Yes, but there's cogent reasons too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'll say it again - cyclists don't want to be cycling on tram tracks, they want safe and sane alternative routes.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'll say it again - cyclists don't want to be cycling on tram tracks, they want safe and sane alternative routes.

Some cyclist don't want to be cycling beside tram tracks. I for one have to cross over the Luas 3 times to and from work. There isn't an alternative route.

Some cyclist don't want to be cycling beside tram tracks. I for one have to cross over the Luas 3 times to and from work. There isn't an alternative route.

You'd prefer to have one though, wouldn't you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Doesn't bother me but I can understand why some people would.

Having gone on my arse thanks to tram tracks once in the past myself, I'm happier to avoid them when possible, and I wish it was more possible to avoid them.

My crossing are all circa 90 degrees but I've cycled OCS and College Green and it didn't bother me. All things being equal it would be great but i'm not going to go around the world to avoid the Luas

Chaos again this morning with lots of people on the Green Line heading for the city from the southside (from stops north of Leopardstown Valley unable to board during the morning peak due to them all being full.

Personally I let four full trams go by before abandoning the LUAS for Dublin Bus.

This is a shambles frankly.

My crossing are all circa 90 degrees but I've cycled OCS and College Green and it didn't bother me. All things being equal it would be great but i'm not going to go around the world to avoid the Luas

My point isn't long-winded alternative routes, it's about providing ones that are barely longer. For example, if there was a contraflow bike lane on Nassau Street, it would mean cyclists wouldn't have to use the end of Dawson Street with the Luas stop on it to get to College Green.

I tend to think cycling past stops is a lot more risky than just generally near tracks, because there's a much narrower safe path.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

My point isn't long-winded alternative routes, it's about providing ones that are barely longer. For example, if there was a contraflow bike lane on Nassau Street, it would mean cyclists wouldn't have to use the end of Dawson Street with the Luas stop on it to get to College Green.

I tend to think cycling past stops is a lot more risky than just generally near tracks, because there's a much narrower safe path.

Dawson St to College Green is perfectly fine for cycling, just stay between the two northbound rails all the way. I don't see how any alternative could be better.

Dawson St to College Green is perfectly fine for cycling, just stay between the two northbound rails all the way. I don't see how any alternative could be better.

Apart from the alternative I just mentioned...

Another good alternative would be to open up a very small part of Trinity as a cycle route instead of College Green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Apart from the alternative I just mentioned...

Another good alternative would be to open up a very small part of Trinity as a cycle route instead of College Green.

I don't see how it would be better though, theres no need for alternatives when what's there already is fine. The actual Luas stop doesn't cause a problem (you referred to it causing a much narrower safe path) once you stay between the tracks instead.
    By all means come up with a solution for Parnell, but I'm not convinced there's a problem doing Dawson St to College Green now. It's currently a stressfree part of the route.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Chaos again this morning with lots of people on the Green Line heading for the city from the southside (from stops north of Leopardstown Valley unable to board during the morning peak due to them all being full.

Personally I let four full trams go by before abandoning the LUAS for Dublin Bus.

This is a shambles frankly.
    When it seemed the we'd never have a national motorway system of any sort in the 1990's, the next decade changed all that. Now, when it currently seems that Dublin will never have a proper underground rail system, hopefully the 2020's will start to change all that. It's simple folks, either Dublin goes underground or the city will start to die as frustrated people move elsewhere for a better life. Time to get the lead out and get both the Metro and DART Inter-connector projects delivered.

When it seemed the we'd never have a national motorway system of any sort in the 1990's, the next decade changed all that. Now, when it currently seems that Dublin will never have a proper underground rail system, hopefully the 2020's will start to change all that. It's simple folks, either Dublin goes underground or the city will start to die as frustrated people move elsewhere for a better life. Time to get the lead out and get both the Metro and DART Inter-connector projects delivered.

I don’t disagree re underground one iota, but the underlying cause of the problems being experienced on the Green Line northbound in the mornings is nothing to do with that, but rather that the service was launched with insufficient rolling stock, and peak frequency (particularly south of Sandyford) has had to be cut to facilitate the extension.

The ineptitude is mind boggling. Surely an easy fix would be to temporarily curtail some northbound trams at St Stephens Green thus enabling more trams to operate on the original section of the route.

The status quo cannot continue with TRANSDEV saying it’ll all be solved by March - that in my view is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

More like time to suspend Luas Cross City.

Del.Monte wrote: »

Your stand up routine requires a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Your stand up routine requires a bit of work.

And an EIS assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

LXFlyer wrote: »
    I don’t disagree re underground one iota, but the underlying cause of the problems being experienced on the Green Line northbound in the mornings is nothing to do with that, but rather that the service was launched with insufficient rolling stock, and peak frequency (particularly south of Sandyford) has had to be cut to facilitate the extension.
    It's crazy to think that they have cut capacity on existing long distance services to facilitate a new service, which could be avoided by a 10/15 minute walk. I don't know where the pressure was to launch in November - was it contractual? Either way, the solution is simple - curtail LCC until the service is properly ready to launch.

hmmm wrote: »
    It's crazy to think that they have cut capacity on existing long distance services to facilitate a new service, which could be avoided by a 10/15 minute walk. I don't know where the pressure was to launch in November - was it contractual? Either way, the solution is simple - curtail LCC until the service is properly ready to launch.

Political pressure would have been the principal element for requirement to meet the December launch (Not November!) - they had committed to it all along.

It's all the more of an issue for the stops along the section between Carrickmines and Leopardstown Valley, which don't have a viable alternative bus service, with the frequency of local bus routes being cut back in line with demand as LUAS took over as the principal mode of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭roadmaster

A former colleague of mine who was the most anti public transport person you could meet would always drive from Cabra to Stephens green for work. One morning during Christmas he was still over the limit after a night out so he decided to get the luas in to work. He has got it every day since , it shows if people that drive in can be shown good public transport works they will use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I like many others are just frustrated with DCC at this point. Just ban the fecking cars off the north quays and college green. There's just no room for them. Cars are still legally driving through College Green on weekends and in the evenings., sake!

Advertisement