Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I just watched that video, could they not put the rubber inserts into the tracks, at least where a lot of traffic crosses them? also why cant they take a bit of width off the footpath there? it does look very dangerous for bikes and excessively wide foothpath, given the space constraints...

iirc the LCC people said that rubber inserts have to be replaced quite often due to the friction of the tramwheels and work out quite expensive. That was their reason though AFAIK rubber inserts are used in other countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

hmmm wrote: »
    The trams and the pedestrians should be No. 1 priority there - no cars and no bikes in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Middle Man wrote: »
    The trams and the pedestrians should be No. 1 priority there - no cars and no bikes in that area.

Great plan. Ban bikes from entering the main University in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Yes, pedestrianisation is a great plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Hey, nobody mentioned anything about banning bicycles from UCD. It's just Trinity they are talking about :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Was an elevated Luas ever considered for the City Centre?

The idea of elevated rail in Dublin city is in the same category as tall buildings.

Screeching, hysterical opposition from local nimbys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

D.L.R. wrote: »
    The idea of elevated rail in Dublin city is in the same category as tall buildings.

Screeching, hysterical opposition from local nimbys.

nobody resents nimby's more than me, but I can understand why elevated rail, would not be popular in the centre. fair enough when you get out of direct city centre or even the suburbs, near industrial or commercial, like where it will emerge in ballymun, over the m50 etc fair enough...

Muahahaha wrote: »
    iirc the LCC people said that rubber inserts have to be replaced quite often due to the friction of the tramwheels and work out quite expensive. That was their reason though AFAIK rubber inserts are used in other countries.

fair enough, but I am not talking about using them the entire length of tracks, just a few meters at cross over points...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

nobody resents nimby's more than me, but I can understand why elevated rail, would not be popular in the centre. fair enough when you get out of direct city centre, near industrial or commercial, like where it will emerge in ballymun, fair enough...

I agree I don't necessarily have a problem elevated railways in theory but I don't think Dublin city centre would be suited at all towards one. It's grand in place like Paris or Chicago where there are big wide boulevards and they have stood for centuries but not in Dublin it would changing the streetscape too dramatically and our streets wouldn't be wide enough not very many European cities have streets wide enough for elevated railways. Underground is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If this talk of sky trains and elevated rail is similar to what’s in Bangkok, no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There is zero chance of an elevated LUAS in Dublin city centre any time in the near or indeed distant future, it’s pie in the sky, and that kind of discussion is derailing this thread from a realistic discussion of LUAS BXD and the challenges of how to deal with it and the bus service and car traffic in the present.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I thought from when the project was first mooted that the Luas should be on one street only before/over/after the river, either OCS/OCB/Westmoreland or Marlborough/RosieH/Hawkins. I think now that the experience has shown that the latter is the better option. Getting across the Rosie Hackett bridge would be easier than OCB and having a continuous pt only route for 800m in the city centre would be a big advantage. Should this now be considered given DCC are not willing to implement other proposed solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Curious, with the new 55m trams causing disruption on O' Connell Bridge, how is it fairing on Rosie Hacket bridge?

why not just turn back more at SSG?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

why not just turn back more at SSG?

I asked them that on their "ask a manager" thing, no response. I think a few people have suggested it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

there is only on solution now that the Luas BxD is built

remove all wheeled devices from the tram lines

end of story

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

BoatMad wrote: »

end of story
    Solution to what problem?

Making the LUAS cross city move easier, or improving public transport in the city? Because I think one is more important than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

BoatMad wrote: »

end of story

I'm not sure hovercraft are a practical solution ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm not sure hovercraft are a practical solution ;)

...I think he meant walking...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Couldn't board the Broombridge tram a few minutes ago from Hardcourt St. Wedged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Passengers are 'quicker walking' than taking new Luas line, Dáil hears

While I don't agree with the analysis by the TD, its good to see it raised at national level and keep pressure up to sort out CG.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0215/940938-luas-cross-city/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Solution to what problem?

Making the LUAS cross city move easier, or improving public transport in the city? Because I think one is more important than the other.

You realise Luas is public transport right?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

AngryLips wrote: »
    You realise Luas is public transport right?

The point the other poster is making is that still for the majority of people the bus remains their option for commuting (most will have no other option).

Bland statements about prioritising LUAS without exception and moving buses to other possibly longer routes as some have advocated here and elsewhere frankly ignores the fact that the majority of people commuting to and from the city are still using the bus, and that consequently whatever solution is found should not adversely penalise public transport users who happen to use the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

LXFlyer wrote: »
    The point the other poster is making is that still for the majority of people the bus remains their option for commuting (most will have no other option).
    It's like people on buses, and even pedestrians and cyclists are invisible in this debate. Even the Minister today talked about nothing but LUAS LUAS LUAS.

I thought Fintan O'Toole was OTT when he said it was about class, but I'm beginning to suspect he was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was watching the Bohs - Shamrock Rovers game on the TV last night and it struck me that all the Rovers away fans from Tallaght travelling to Dalymount in Phibsboro likely did so using the Luas for the entirety of their journey, switching lines at Abbey St. Had never thought of that connection before when it launched. Same thing goes for St.Pats in Inchicore which is close to the Suir Road stop, fans going to games in Dalymount can get there entirely by Luas and vice versa.

Was watching the Bohs - Shamrock Rovers game on the TV last night and it struck me that all the Rovers away fans from Tallaght travelling to Dalymount in Phibsboro likely did so using the Luas for the entirety of their journey, switching lines at Abbey St. Had never thought of that connection before when it launched. Same thing goes for St.Pats in Inchicore which is close to the Suir Road stop, fans going to games in Dalymount can get there entirely by Luas and vice versa.

True enough but I'm sure there's many Rovers fans living in the likes of Dundrum, Milltown, Clonskeagh, Ranelagh and Windy Arbour who could also use the Luas direct to Dalymount for a game. Funnily it's actually easier and quicker for them to get to Dalymount than it is to get to Tallaght by public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Yeah I was thinking its good for Bohs being right by the luas and close to town.
    Tallaghts a bit of a hike.
    I saw no mention of redeveloping Dalymount Park in the capital investment.
    Be great for Shels too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It's like people on buses, and even pedestrians and cyclists are invisible in this debate. Even the Minister today talked about nothing but LUAS LUAS LUAS.

I thought Fintan O'Toole was OTT when he said it was about class, but I'm beginning to suspect he was right.

Luas and Metro are sexy.
    Every few years the Metro north is announced.

The reality that the future of Dublin is a top class modern bus system. I think 50% of journeys are taken by bus.

Yeah I was thinking its good for Bohs being right by the luas and close to town.
    Tallaghts a bit of a hike.
    I saw no mention of redeveloping Dalymount Park in the capital investment.
    Be great for Shels too

That's a local DCC project not a national infrastructure project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

The reality that the future of Dublin is a top class modern bus system. I think 50% of journeys are taken by bus.

If you look at the small part of GDA that is served by rail, it's no surprise that bus accounts for so much. That number is down to lack of supply, not lack of demand or need.

Advertisement