Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

IngazZagni wrote: »
    I was stuck for 5 minutes on the Rosie hacket bridge for 5 minutes yesterday because some eejit of a motorist decided to completely block the track on the south quays. We missed our turn in the sequence. Another luas waiting behind us on Marlborough street. Simple things like this can cause big knock on effects.

That’s pretty normal.

My own record is twice having to sit through 5 (yes 5) phases of lights on a bus trying to turn right off the bridge due to cars blocking the yellow box.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,401 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Camera enforcement lads

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Signal issues on Red line this morning at Smithfeild. There was rarely any issues before LCC.

The cynic in me feels there is something more at play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

cgcsb wrote: »
    Camera enforcement lads

I emailed DCC about implementing these in crucial parts of Dublin and on bus lanes. They simply replied that it's the job of the guards to enforce the law to stop motorists stopping in yellow boxes and to not drive illegally in bus lanes. So I get from this that the guards have to apply for planning permission and pay for the cameras themselves to make this happen from their own budget, it's ridiculous and just passing the book, they don't care.

When a red light camera went in at Benburb street, it was a photo op and considered a huge achievement.

Things will never change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

What is the extend of the taxi ban? Seems to be be loads of taxis in the College green area and the only sign I seen banning taxis is beside the trinity Luas stop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What is the extend of the taxi ban? Seems to be be loads of taxis in the College green area and the only sign I seen banning taxis is beside the trinity Luas stop.

Think it may just be Taxis heading West on College Green?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,303 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Signal issues on Red line this morning at Smithfeild. There was rarely any issues before LCC.

The cynic in me feels there is something more at play here.

Something more than what? Transdev had two distinct, non operationally complex and at capacity lines to operate beforehand. The complexity of the operation has gone up and the problems and errors have increased in tandem. Irish Rail have been hammered for years about service but the higher the complexity, the capacity and the contention on your lines the more difficult it is to operate without problems. There's no magic pill that makes private operators immune from these issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Longer Luas trams withdrawn due to fault in system
    The new longer Luas trams have been withdrawn from service following the discovery of a fault in the system.

What a shambles. Out of operation until May apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What a shambles. Out of operation until May apparently.
    I'm presuming that part of this announcement involved the NTA announcing alternative arrangements for LUAS customers. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭TheHouseIRL

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm presuming that part of this announcement involved the NTA announcing alternative arrangements for LUAS customers. Right?

We got some unreserved apologies, and they have a great deal of hope that they are going to use to tackle this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

hmmm wrote: »

They could stop running on the LCC section until they have enough trams. Maybe a bus replacement service.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Marlay wrote: »
    They could stop running on the LCC section until they have enough trams. Maybe a bus replacement service.

Not going to happen. The people of the north side of the city would rightfully be up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wow this really has turned into a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Step 1: suspend LCC to prevent chaos
    Step 2: some senior people in the NTA moved on the pastures new
    Step 3: dept of transport given power to brute force a solution and to hell with car parks taxi drivers and. DCC.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

For me the two parties with the most to explain are

Alstom - for delivering the trams late and when they were delivered, done so with defects
    DCC - for pandering to many different interest groups at the expense of public transport priority and infrastructure.

I'm not saying everyone else comes out of it smelling of roses, but those two parties have had by far the biggest impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

devnull wrote: »

Alstom - for delivering the trams late and when they were delivered, done so with defects
    DCC - for pandering to many different interest groups at the expense of public transport priority and infrastructure.

I'm not saying everyone else comes out of it smelling of roses, but those two parties have had by far the biggest impact.

Current fiasco has very little to do with longer trams, the whole thing was a disaster and it was allowed to develop either through lack of leadership or some very Machiavellian skullduggery by the NTA

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Bambi wrote: »
    Current fiasco has very little to do with longer trams, the whole thing was a disaster and it was allowed to develop either through lack of leadership or some very Machiavellian skullduggery by the NTA

Is this inside knowledge or do you have something to support this?

How do you know it wasn't political pressure to open on time, for example? Not saying it is but you don't seem to know any more then the rest of us and if you do then please share.

If you're calling for heads to roll, you'd better make sure it's the right heads and not the easiest ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Does anyone know what the fault is? Is it something to with the length of the trams? Anyone know why not identified in testing?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the fault is? Is it something to with the length of the trams?

The fault is said to be an electrical/battery fault that causes the tram to not have enough power which is why they've had to be stranded and helped by another LUAS when they have broken down.

The trams are the longest model that Alstom have ever built of the tram type by about 10m and were a special build exclusively for Dublin, which I imagine is part of the reason for the problems since they're not an off the shelf build.
    Anyone know why not identified in testing?

I recall a short while ago on this thread, that a number of people on here were complaining that the new trams that had arrived appeared to be taking a while to be pushed into service when they felt it should be quicker to commission the new fleet. I suspect we are now seeing the reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

It's a farce. From a fantastic, efficient service to cattle trucks. But it'll be all ok when the new longer trams arrive. Hang on, they're too long for the batteries!! Specially built for Dublin?? Who taught that was good idea?

But Leo and Ross had their on time launch in December. What a successful project, completed on time and all! Yeah right, a total mess. Now no hope of sorting the problems anytime soon. IS ANYBODY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS? And by that I mean is anybody going to be held accountable?? For a start, everyone who claimed credit should be. Shane Ross will get it at next election for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The fault is said to be an electrical/battery fault that causes the tram to not have enough power which is why they've had to be stranded and helped by another LUAS when they have broken down.

Yes, that thought came to mind.

Perhaps they are drawing too much power from the network or the motors/batteries not powerful enough to drive the heavier trams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I recall a short while ago on this thread, that a number of people on here were complaining that the new trams that had arrived appeared to be taking a while to be pushed into service when they felt it should be quicker to commission the new fleet. I suspect we are now seeing the reason why.

Doesn't really answer why it never came up in testing or the first while in operation. When was the first breakdown?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Hurrache wrote: »
    Doesn't really answer why it never came up in testing or the first while in operation. When was the first breakdown?

Could be related to outside temperature and local loading - circuit breakers tripping out under load.

Could be related to outside temperature and local loading - circuit breakers tripping out under load.

But other trams on the same electrical circuit can drive up to the other and take it back to the depot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Hurrache wrote: »
    But other trams on the same electrical circuit can drive up to the other and take it back to the depot.

Not a lot of difference between nearly failing and just failing- except the result.

But they were operating under the same temperatures and the one doing the pushing/pulling arguably under a higher loading without fail.

Well it's a bit early to make the defects conclusion.

Another thing TII need to explain is the "maintenance" issues at Sandyford because of construction works. You know the construction that started after the trams had arrived and not in the previous 5 years when it should have been done.

THE NATIONAL TRANSPORT Authority (NTA) says overcrowding should not be an issue on the Luas Green Line this week as four trams have come back online following a scheduled maintenance backlog.

NTA spokesman Dermot O’Gara told TheJournal.ie that 29 trams are needed to operate the Green Line without overcrowding for passengers. Due to a backlog in scheduled maintenance only 25 trams were operating on the Green Line last week.

The Reason:
    The scheduled maintenance issue was caused by depot renovations which made it impossible to complete all the required upkeep. The problem was also exacerbated by heavy snow earlier this month.

Longer Trams:
    The NTA said the two trams should return to service in the coming days when the electrical issue has been resolved.

Five additional longer trams have been commissioned and will enter service in the coming months.

http://www.thejournal.ie/luas-overcrowding-scheduled-maintenance-3914655-Mar2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

What's a great way to distract from all these problems? I know - let's launch the metro plan. Flood the media with the great plans for the future. Lots of jam tomorrow. That should do it. Sure we mightn't even be around then. On the other if we keep making big flashy promises we might just be. Ah this is so easy. No need for things to actually work if you spend enough on spin. Sure, we've a grand big budget for that. It's gas isn't it - using their own money to distract them from the problems we've created ....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What's a great way to distract from all these problems? I know - let's launch the metro plan. Flood the media with the great plans for the future. Lots of jam tomorrow. That should do it. Sure we mightn't even be around then. On the other if we keep making big flashy promises we might just be. Ah this is so easy. No need for things to actually work if you spend enough on spin. Sure, we've a grand big budget for that. It's gas isn't it - using their own money to distract them from the problems we've created ....

The metro redesign started in 2015. There are thousands of pages of documents published and years of study gone into it. €700m allocated for design and initial construction until 2020.

Public consultation was supposed to start in February. It's actually a few weeks late. They could have deflected from Luas earlier if that was the aim of metro.

But, yes, it's all a big 3 year long conspiracy to deflect attention if that makes you feel better.

Advertisement