Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Most public transport is based on the bus. Most buses get delayed by cars. No proper enforcement is carried out against motorists that park illegally, block yellow box junctions, or use bus lanes illegally.

If the appropriate laws were enforced, the buses would travel quicker, and there would be more bus journeys because of this.

So enforce the laws that affect travel in the city centre.

Edit: Of course, using fixed and mobile cameras would make enforcement easier and possibly automatic, so why is this not done?

I only use the motorcycle to get to work maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks.
    There is ALWAYS someone driving in the bus lanes!

And it's always a young man. (I always looks to see who driving)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

grahambo wrote: »
    I only use the motorcycle to get to work maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks.
    There is ALWAYS someone driving in the bus lanes!

And it's always a young man. (I always looks to see who driving)

I think the majority are drivers of German cars, like BMW, Mercedes or Audi.

Maybe they are all young as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

markpb wrote: »
    Fixed to me means that trams and buses are co-existing peacefully and efficiently in College Green. That can certainly be achieved.

You talk about a car ban not being an option because people can't or won't live without them. No-one is talking about a widespread ban on cars, only in the very core of the city centre. Banning cars there has numerous advantages. Luas, Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann and all the private bus operators will benefit. Cyclists and pedestrians will benefit. The air quality will improve. The noise pollution levels will fall. None of this affects people driving in the suburbs or even the outer parts of the city centre.
    All cars (taxis included) and all cyclists should be banned from College Green.

The pedestrians come first - then trams, then buses!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why the hell would you ban cyclists? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭ncounties

I think the majority are drivers of German cars, like BMW, Mercedes or Audi.

Maybe they are all young as well.

I personally think the Hyundai Tucson drivers are the most aggressive - want to be a Range Rover/X5/Q5 driver but even more aggressive as they can´t afford one!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Why the hell would you ban cyclists? :confused:
    Pedestrian safety???

Have you seen the number of pedestrians at College Green - oh perhaps I don't get it - after all, cyclists say there are too many pesky cars and I guess it might be a case of too many pesky pedestrians that need their numbers cut down too. So cyclists really don't like me as I'm both a motorist and long distance pedestrian - oh, I'm also a Luas fan and well as a fan of green verges (bring back our nice green roads!), so I'm really something to be reviled by cyclists!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Middle Man wrote: »
    All cars (taxis included) and all cyclists should be banned from College Green.

The pedestrians come first - then trams, then buses!

Per national and DCC policy, prioritisation goes:

Pedestrians > Cyclists > public transport > cars

Fixed to me means that trams and buses are co-existing peacefully and efficiently in College Green. That can certainly be achieved.

I don't see how. The road used to be be 4 lanes wide at it's narrowest point (2 lanes each direction)
    Now it's only 2 lanes wide at it's narrowest point and needs to support a LUAS going through as well.

Volume of traffic is just to large, the bulk of the buses will eventually need to go somewhere else. IE Another Bus corridor/no private cars.
    And it's obvious that, that place is going to be somewhere around the other side of TCD. Probably around Merrion St Upper or Kildare St
    You talk about a car ban not being an option because people can't or won't live without them. No-one is talking about a widespread ban on cars, only in the very core of the city centre.

You only needs to Ban cars on a few more streets to make it nearly impossible to get into town via a Car
    Banning cars there has numerous advantages. Luas, Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann and all the private bus operators will benefit. Cyclists and pedestrians will benefit. The air quality will improve. The noise pollution levels will fall. None of this affects people driving in the suburbs or even the outer parts of the city centre.

Absolutely agreed, I use DART everyday. In theory if everyone used public transport there would be very little traffic to worry about in Dublin.
    That being said.... I wouldn't like to see many more people use the DART in the mornings. It's packed full at 7:45am.
    I saw a guy trying to get on with buggy with a baby in it this morning. He couldn't fit on.
    Maybe more park and ride facilities is what we need?

bk wrote: »

Pedestrians > Cyclists > public transport > cars >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> motorcycles

Fixed that for ya! :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Absolutely agreed, I use DART everyday. In theory if everyone used public transport there would be very little traffic to worry about in Dublin.
    That being said.... I wouldn't like to see many more people use the DART in the mornings. It's packed full at 7:45am.
    I saw a guy trying to get on with buggy with a baby in it this morning. He couldn't fit on.
    Maybe more park and ride facilities is what we need?

Well they are planning to increase DART frequency to every 10 minutes, which should effectively double capacity.

In fairness trying to get a buggy on any public transport during peak times is rather silly. Either wait to off-peak if you can or use a baby carrier.

Well they are planning to increase DART frequency to every 10 minutes, which should effectively double capacity.

They are roughly every 10/15 minutes atm, if you live between Howth Junction and Bray
    In fairness trying to get a buggy on any public transport during peak times is rather silly. Either wait to off-peak if you can or use a baby carrier.

Agreed, it is silly. But that person had somewhere to go. You're right in that they probably should have used a baby carrier. That being said if you had a toddler (around 2 years old) you have to have a buggy.

The point is someone tried to use public transport rather then their car (I'm assuming they had one) and it wasn't work able. I think people that don't have small kids don't realise how completely unworkable public transport is.
    Then they are fustigated by other people (who cycle/use public transport) for using their cars all the time. They have no other option :confused:

• Advertisement

They are roughly every 10/15 minutes atm, if you live between Howth Junction and Bray

Only at peak times, they are planning to increase it significantly throughout the day.
    Agreed, it is silly. But that person had somewhere to go. You're right in that they probably should have used a baby carrier. That being said if you had a toddler (around 2 years old) you have to have a buggy.

I've a 2 year old toddler and take public transport all the time. A carrier backpack makes it easy to take them. Or even a small compact buggy that is easy to fold into a small size (see the Babyzen Yoyo for example).

Too many people don't think about it and use massive buggies that simply aren't suited to public transport.
    The point is someone tried to use public transport rather then their car (I'm assuming they had one) and it wasn't work able. I think people that don't have small kids don't realise how completely unworkable public transport is.
    Then they are fustigated by other people (who cycle/use public transport) for using their cars all the time. They have no other option :confused:

I've a 2 year old, don't have a car, take public transport everywhere. It is absolutely doable, you just have to put a little thought into it.

Try taking a big buggy on the London Underground or New York Subway and see how far you get!!

Middle Man wrote: »
    Pedestrian safety???

Fair point. The number of pedestrians being killed by cyclists around College Green these days is just incredible.

Bull, I've a 2 year old, don't have a car, take public transport everywhere. It is absolutely doable, you just have to put a little thought into it.

Try taking a big buggy on the London Underground or New York Subway and see how far you get!!

So in the morning time, do you bring you kid to creche?
    How do you manage it?
    What hours do you work?
    How far away do you work from your house?
    How far away is the place where you kids stays during the day from the nearest public transport stop?

Genuinely want to know, as I've tried this and it's a total mare!

What I ended up doing was bring kid to child minder in the car. Coming back to the house and parking up the car and take the motorcycle into town as I had to be in work for 8am and child minder couldn't take kid earlier than 7:15am.

So again I got back and walked to the nearest bus stop it would be nearly 7:35am. There is no way the 16 can make it from the top of the Grange road to Dublin city centre in 20 mins in rush hour. Not a chance.

So what I ended up doing was using the motorcycle, which usually got me in for around 7:50am.
    Then the opposite would happen on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Pedestrians > Cyclists > public transport (buses trams and trains) > taxis > private cars

As it should... With added taxi. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Bull, I've a 2 year old, don't have a car, take public transport everywhere. It is absolutely doable, you just have to put a little thought into it.

How do you manage it?
    What hours do you work?
    How far away is the place where you kids stays during the day from the nearest public transport stop?

What I ended up doing was bring kid to child minder in the car. Coming back to the house and parking up the car and take the motorcycle into town as I had to be in work for 8am and child minder couldn't take kid earlier than 7:15am.

So again I got back and walked to the nearest bus stop it would be nearly 7:35am. There is no way the 16 can make it from the top of the Grange road to Dublin city centre in 20 mins in rush hour. Not a chance.

So what I ended up doing was using the motorcycle, which usually got me in for around 7:50am.
    Then the opposite would happen on the way home.
    What's killing it for you is the tailback to dump the car. If you could address that somehow, without starting your own creche obviously (e.g. creche right beside the house or work) it could make it feasible for you.
    I'm not living in Dublin at the moment (in a Nordic city) but the principles are the same as Dublin.
    My 2 year old is in a creche a few hundred metres from my work. We take the bus + walk 10 minutes to her creche, then I go to work. And reverse on the way home, although if it's a nice evening we'll walk home the whole way. Takes about 50-60 minutes from when we leave the apartment to me in work.
    The mornings are tough to get onto the bus, particularly if a bus with low capacity for buggies arrives. Incidentally the bus is a replacement for a tram, which is out of service for a few months to facilitate utility upgrades.
    I think the Dublin problem is not all of the creches are located to suit public transport users (or public transport isn't there for creche users...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Not who you're asking, and we do have a car because it's the only way to my husband's work. We barely need the car though even with a 1.5 year old.

The creche is 12 mins walk away. There's another closet but we didn't hear good things. The train station is 8 mins walk from the creche. When i do drop off i leave home at 8, drop him and catch the train st 830.

There are two local shops on the walk between the creche and ours and a small supermarket at the train station so any errands are easy. If it's lashing there's a bus that goes almost door to door but usually we just use the car since we have it.

Doctor is 25 min walk, dentist is 15.

Public transport with a buggy is grand outside rush hour. The luas in particular is great, bus is ok. Train a nuisance because of platform gaps, but doable. We regularly take any of the three to town on a Saturday/Sunday. Lrss hassle then finding parking either in town or at one of the m50 shopping centres.

It's all about where you live and having a walkable neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Only at peak times, they are planning to increase it significantly throughout the day.

it's currently every 15 mins all day, with a few extra services during the peak. There are 77 Dart services between Dun Laoghaire and Connolly on a weekday. A Dart every 10 mins would give about 90 services but most of the extra services would be off-peak.

Weekend frequency is very poor at the moment - I don't know if the new proposal addresses that.

[EDIT] gah, Dart discussion on the Luas thread again...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Too many people don't think about it and use massive buggies that simply aren't suited to public transport.
    We use one of those McLaren buggies from the eighties, small even when open and folds up to near nothing. It was bought in 1984 and still works.
    I bike or walk but if needed I could use a bus.
    How do you manage it?
    Easily
    What hours do you work?
    half 8 to half 5
    20km
    About 5 minutes (10 with the child) away
    There are a few kids at the creche where this would not be feasible as they live in the countryside. There are however a number of people who live closer than me who drive to the creche, even though the walk would be the same time (slower during summer, quicker during term time).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Edit: Of course, using fixed and mobile cameras would make enforcement easier and possibly automatic, so why is this not done?
    It seems to me that the SF-run DCC are more interested in Palestine than Dublin city centre traffic.

That's what happens when we vote in protest politicians.

That's not just a political point - we invest a lot of practical power in our local politicians, including the ability to cause a mess of traffic. If these politicians are looking the other way or are uninterested, there is nothing much the planners can do to compensate. We need to take power off the politicians, or vote in more serious people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

hmmm wrote: »
    Edit:  Of course, using fixed and mobile cameras would make enforcement easier and possibly automatic, so why is this not done?
    It seems to me that the SF-run DCC are more interested in Palestine than Dublin city centre traffic.

That's not just a political point - we invest a lot of practical power in our local politicians, including the ability to cause a mess of traffic. If these politicians are looking the other way or are uninterested, there is nothing much the planners can do to compensate. We need to take power off the politicians, or vote in more serious people.

Had to laugh at that! And agree with your conclusion, about needing serious / responsible politicians.

• Advertisement

So in the morning time, do you bring you kid to creche? How do you manage it?

Yes, walk, about 10 minutes.
    What hours do you work?

Normal office hours, though I do have flexibility about hours which certainly helps.

30 minutes walk, which is how I normally do it (sometimes cycle, no public transport directly on the route). Creche is on the way, so 10 minutes walk to Creche, then 20 minutes to office. Also pass a few local shops on the way, which is handy for groceries.

About 5 minutes walk.

Obviously each persons requirements differ. What with creches, work hours, etc.

hmmm wrote: »

Like political parties who throw tens of billions of euro of private debt on to the taxpayer?

CramCycle wrote: »
    We use one of those McLaren buggies from the eighties, small even when open and folds up to near nothing. It was bought in 1984 and still works.

I bike or walk but if needed I could use a bus.
    Easily
    half 8 to half 5
    20km
    About 5 minutes (10 with the child) away

There are a few kids at the creche where this would not be feasible as they live in the countryside. There are however a number of people who live closer than me who drive to the creche, even though the walk would be the same time (slower during summer, quicker during term time).

Ok,

So the creche is less than 500m from your house.
    You drop the kid off on your way to work and then it's an approx 20.0km commute to work via walking (that's about a 4 hour walk :confused: ) or bicycle (about 60 min cycle).
    I could be taking you up wrong here. Sorry if I am.

Our child minder was 3.0km away uphill (37 min walk according to google maps). no choice but to use the car as there was no bus up that way from our house.
    There is a bus from the childer minder to town but it was not regular enough and was even slower than the 16.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ok,

You drop the kid off on your way to work and then it's an approx 20.0km commute to work via walking (that's about a 4 hour walk :confused: ) or bicycle (about 60 min cycle).

Our child minder was 3.0km away uphill (37 min walk according to google maps). no choice but to use the car as there was no bus up that way from our house.
    There is a bus from the childer minder to town but it was not regular enough and was even slower than the 16.

First of all, google maps seriously over estimate both walking and cycling times, and seem to aim for the 10% who take the longest. Creche is over a km away and estimated at 13minutes walk. Cycling from the creche, direct is 18km with alot of light or 20km with very few lights, both take about 45minutes. Creche opens from 730 to 1830, so there is not much leeway for errors but the 145 and the 84X would cover the journey if I didn't cycle it.

Like I said, it works for us and for many people who live in a town or city, it should work with a bit of effort.

Could you put a bike in your car and cycle from the childminders, or leave your motorbike there at the start of the week to take off the trek back to your house every day?

Ok,

Get a child minder or creche closer to your home?

Get a child minder/creche in town near your work? Bring your child in on the bus with a light folding pram like the Mclaren mentioned earlier or a child carrying back pack.

Cycle? Cycle to the child minder 3km would take only about 15 minutes, be there for 7:15, then cycle into town. You don't say exactly where you live/work, but Grange Road to South City area is only a 30 minutes cycle, would give you plenty of time to get in for 8am.

Ask work for flexible hours? Obviously might not be possible, but no harm in trying.

It takes a little effort and thought, but there are always ways.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Would you all mind leaving the discussion return to Luas CC rather than options of childcare and use of motorcycles?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Just to take this thread back to topic, on my way home from work this evening I decided to drop in to the Metrolink consultation presentation in the Clayton Hotel Leopardstown and see what the plans are and I had`nt realised some of the stuff in the plan.

Very impressed with the mock ups and the general knowledge of the staff there. They are planning to make 4 "hubs" to interface with Luas, Dart, Suburban and Main line rail, namely Sandyford, Charlemont, Tara St and Glasnevin. They plan to cut the Luas green line in half and make Sandyford to Loughlinstown a disconnected spur where a shuttle service will trundle back and forward from Loughlinstown to Sandyford. Similiar to the outer suburban rail line fron Clonsilla to M3Parkway where a Class 29K trundles back and forward. The Metrolink will run from Sandyford to the new end station at Estuary out beyond Swords. The other half of the Luas red line will run from Charlemont to Broombridge. So for the good people of South Co Dublin if you wish to travel from Loughlinstown into the city centre ( O`Connell St area ) you get the Luas from Loughlinstown, get off at Sandyford, get on the Metro, get off Metro at Charlemont, get on Luas northbound and get off at O`Connell Street. Not sure about that but we`ll see. They planning guys seem to have all their ducks in line

Just as an aside I asked what about the 9 piece Luas trams. The answer came firstly in the form of a smile, then " look the current configuration of the College Green area means that the long tram is`nt going to work so we are looking forward to the introduction of Metrolink where we will be able to provide a complete solution......................

Looks like the 9 piece trams will continue to remain on the back sidings at Brewery Road

Interesting though, nothing set in stone yet

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Just to take this thread back to topic, on my way home from work this evening I decided to drop in to the Metrolink consultation presentation in the Clayton Hotel Leopardstown and see what the plans are and I had`nt realised some of the stuff in the plan.

Very impressed with the mock ups and the general knowledge of the staff there. They are planning to make 4 "hubs" to interface with Luas, Dart, Suburban and Main line rail, namely Sandyford, Charlemont, Tara St and Glasnevin. They plan to cut the Luas red line in half and make Sandyford to Loughlinstown a disconnected spur where a shuttle service will trundle back and forward from Loughlinstown to Sandyford. Similiar to the outer suburban rail line fron Clonsilla to M3Parkway where a Class 29K trundles back and forward. The Metrolink will run from Sandyford to the new end station at Estuary out beyond Swords. The other half of the Luas red line will run from Charlemont to Broombridge. So for the good people of South Co Dublin if you wish to travel from Loughlinstown into the city centre ( O`Connell St area ) you get the Luas from Loughlinstown, get off at Sandyford, get on the Metro, get off Metro at Charlemont, get on Luas northbound and get off at O`Connell Street. Not sure about that but we`ll see. They planning guys seem to have all their ducks in line

Just as an aside I asked what about the 9 piece Luas trams. The answer came firstly in the form of a smile, then " look the current configuration of the College Green area means that the long tram is`nt going to work so we are looking forward to the introduction of Metrolink where we will be able to provide a complete solution......................

Looks like the 9 piece trams will continue to remain on the back sidings at Brewery Road

Interesting though, nothing set in stone yet

It is the GREEN line that is affected.

Travelling on the Luas south of Sandyford, change at Sandyford onto Metrolink and get off at O'Connell St - no change at Charlemont. Metro will be more frequent and faster than Luas - particularly through College Green (because it does not go there!),

Metro should be a game changer for travel from Sandyford to City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Also, the Luas from Sandyford to Brides Glen will not "trundle"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Saw a longer tram in passenger service this evening.

Advertisement