Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Are all the cars and bikes banned from College Green yet??? They've no business there, especially with the longer trams coming on stream - it's the laws of physics - neither a car nor bike can win an argument with a tram.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Saw a longer tram in passenger service this evening.

I've been keeping an eye out for one with passengers since last week.

Haven't seen any!

Read this, thismorning.
    'The pain will continue' - College Green traffic restrictions to go on into 2019
    Restrictions on 100 buses travelling through College Green in Dublin are set to continue into next year.

Taxis are also banned from travelling southbound during rush hour, in a bid to cope with the gridlock since the Luas extension opened.

Dublin City Council has warned the measures are likely to stay in place until 2019 because oral hearings on the planned pedestrianisation of College Green went on for longer than expected.

Chair of the Transport Committee, Councillor Ciaran Cuffe, says only radical action will ease the congestion.

Mr Cuffe said: "I think we were let down by the traffic modelling which didn't show us how severe this issue would be.

"The pain will continue until we do something dramatic in the city centre and you just can't get all those cars, buses and trams into the one space."

Managed to walk from College Green to Harcourt St faster than the Luas this morning, despite the fact the Luas had a head start. (New Record for me! :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Middle Man wrote: »
    Are all the cars and bikes banned from College Green yet??? They've no business there, especially with the longer trams coming on stream - it's the laws of physics - neither a car nor bike can win an argument with a tram.

Cars should be banned. Bicycles should not. Bicycles will be an excellent form of transport for getting around the cc once cars are taken out of the equation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

tom1ie wrote: »
    Cars should be banned. Bicycles should not. Bicycles will be an excellent form of transport for getting around the cc once cars are taken out of the equation.
    If bikes are to be considered road vehicles, then they must follow the same rules as road vehicles. A pedestrian plaza is a pedestrian plaza! Both motorists and cyclists need to cop themselves on as there'll be no road in College Green other than the North/South public transport corridor (Luas and Bus - the latter kept to the minimum)! Motorists can go around the plaza area via alternative streets and cyclists can dismount and walk their bikes across - why do motorists and cyclists think they have a God given right in city centres???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I've been keeping an eye out for one with passengers since last week.

Haven't seen any!

Saw it again today, appears 5029 (the only long one) not to have failed. It operating to SSG at around 17.50 (last week) and it was GPO at 18.00 today so its either departing Sandyford at around 17.15 or Brides Glen at around 16.45 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If bikes are to be considered road vehicles, then they must follow the same rules as road vehicles. A pedestrian plaza is a pedestrian plaza! Both motorists and cyclists need to cop themselves on as there'll be no road in College Green other than the North/South public transport corridor (Luas and Bus - the latter kept to the minimum)! Motorists can go around the plaza area via alternative streets and cyclists can dismount and walk their bikes across - why do motorists and cyclists think they have a God given right in city centres???
    I wouldn't like bikes going across the pedestrian plaza either. Unlike some other countries, we haven't learned mutual respect for each other yet. No reason why they couldn't use the Luas route considering the speed restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Saw it again today, appears 5029 (the only long one) not to have failed. It operating to SSG at around 17.50 (last week) and it was GPO at 18.00 today so its either departing Sandyford at around 17.15 or Brides Glen at around 16.45 or so.

I watched from a 40 bus as it crossed the Rosie Hackett and then again as it made a brief stop on the way from Hawkins St to Trinity. There was very little traffic around CG at that time this evening!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I watched from a 40 bus as it crossed the Rosie Hackett and then again as it made a brief stop on the way from Hawkins St to Trinity. There was very little traffic around CG at that time this evening!

Would it be easier on the motor if it doesn't have to slow as much to accomodate traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

Saw 5029 in Brides Glen Monday morning around 8:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I'm sensing a dislike of people on bikes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭vrusinov

As a person on a bike, I'm trying to avoid city like a plague. College Green is not a nice place for cyclists, never was and never going to be.

Give me nice alternative route around the city and some amsterdam-style parking for when my destination is in city, and I won't set my wheel on CG.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,401 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It was my understanding there's to be a dedicated 2 way east-west cycle lane through cg?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Because cyclists have every right to be in the city centre. There is no other transport solution that can get you around the cc in a short space of time comparable with a bicycle. Cars are too intrusive, polluting, and cause too much traffic. Walking will get you from a to b and keep you fit, but the average walking pace is what 6kmh? Cycling can get you anywhere within the cc within a short space of time without polluting, causing traffic, or being intrusive- once cars are taken out of the equation.
    The solution is get public transport (busses, Luas, metro) into cc. Get off at the the pt stops. Hop on a bicycle, cycle to your place of work if it’s more than a 5 minute walk.
    In the evening Bring your bike back to public bicycle station, which is located at pt stop for Luas, metro, bus and go home.

Save your car for the trip to the beach at the weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: @ Middle Man
    Please desist from anti-cycle rants. If you continue, you will get a long ban. You have been warned on this and other threads, so take heed or face the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If bikes are to be considered road vehicles, then they must follow the same rules as road vehicles.

Why would bikes be considered road vehicles? :confused:

Who would be that stupid to propose something like that?

South quays closed due to rta. CG car ban lifted. Pandemonium in town. Sat on a stationary bus on O'Connell bridge. Have to assume Luas in chaos too.

South quays closed due to rta. CG car ban lifted. Pandemonium in town. Sat on a stationary bus on O'Connell bridge. Have to assume Luas in chaos too.

Why is the solution to a car road accident to open a bus corridor to cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

cgcsb wrote: »
    Why is the solution to a car road accident to open a bus corridor to cars?

I guess that the route around the bus corridoor was blocked by the accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That accident yesterday (thankfully not as bad as it could have been) should serve as a reminder why we need rail and we need to go underground. No RTA should bring a whole city to a standstill. And yet in Dublin it invariably does.

I guess that the route around the bus corridoor was blocked by the accident?
    So private cars will be delayed, why transfer that delay to bus passengers who are using a more efficient mode?

• Advertisement

5027 is also back. Not seen but suspect 5028 is probably back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

cgcsb wrote: »
    So private cars will be delayed, why transfer that delay to bus passengers who are using a more efficient mode?

I think that the gridlock included cars already around the area, which by extension were holding the buses up. You have to let them move somewhere.

Pedestrianisation and all that is something i'm more than 100% behind in central areas. There should be possibility to drive to somewhere nearish though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It makes sense to pedestrianise the core and work outwards. If you have cars beyond a certain point you run the risk of events like yesterday where cars have to be let into bus/pedestrian areas because the car friendly routes are blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Jamie2K9, you`re spot on, saw 5028 on a revenue earning service between Kilmacud and Stillorgan this evening. Guess the 3 X 9 piece units have all been re-introduced

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Seems the 9 piece sets are being introduced quietly. Saw 5030 on a revenue earning service in Sandyford and 5032 on the rear sidings at Brewery Road today. That makes 5027, 5028, 5030 and 5032 all operating as 9 piece sets. Anyone see 5029?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

I thought they'd be only at peak times but I was on 5030 around 9 o'clock last week

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Seems the 9 piece sets are being introduced quietly. Saw 5030 on a revenue earning service in Sandyford and 5032 on the rear sidings at Brewery Road today. That makes 5027, 5028, 5030 and 5032 all operating as 9 piece sets. Anyone see 5029?

5029 in service as discussed a page back.
    I thought they'd be only at peak times but I was on 5030 around 9 o'clock last week

At the start it was but what will happen now is trains will complete a set roster so a long tram may come into service from 16.00 until close of business etc as the number grow.

The know sequence is Road/G Luas, Red Luas then pedestrians and if the Red Luas dons't arrive at the right time its Road/G Luas, pedestrians, Road/G Luas, Red Luas.

Tonight I observed Road/G Luas, Red Luas, Road/G Luas (immediate change once Luas passed), pedestrians.

The G Luas got held on O'Connell Bridge and missed the O'Connell Junction Green lights.

Its good to see TII have gotten more control over the junction from DCC. The latest sequence probally saved just over 1 minute and major traffic backlogs.

Its also ridiculous that pedestrians cannot cross the end of Daime St at C Green when the Luas is passing TCD. Its costing more less traffic a minute extra. They allow pedestrians cross at other junctions when the Luas is going through the same junction.

I've just realised I'm on 5027 at the moment! You really notice how long it is as it sweeps around Trinity and straightens up again. #tramnerd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭karma_coma

I've just realised I'm on 5027 at the moment! You really notice how long it is as it sweeps around Trinity and straightens up again. #tramnerd
    So long a 'Ben D Bus' can fit on it :p

Advertisement