Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Second morning in a row with a signaling fault on green line. Yesterday was 15-20 minute delay. This is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Second morning in a row with a signaling fault on green line. Yesterday was 15-20 minute delay. This is pathetic.

Funny thing, about 10ish last night I saw a tram southbound with no internal lights on, hazards flashing, and moving slower than usual for the location. Maybe the first signs of it last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Its also ridiculous that pedestrians cannot cross the end of Daime St at C Green when the Luas is passing TCD. Its costing more less traffic a minute extra. They allow pedestrians cross at other junctions when the Luas is going through the same junction.

They are now allowing pedestrians to cross when trams are going through.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A couple of articles in the Independent today, both around the traffic problems in Dublin (and around the country). Talking about Luas Cross City, TII are saying that all trams on the Green Line will be extended to full length by the end of next year. Travel times through College Green are down by three to four minutes since opening. Bus journeys, however, are up from 10 minute pre cross city, to 23 minutes post cross city.

See here (Bus journey times double in Dublin congestion), and here (The new commuter hour: peak times increase with record traffic volumes).

EDIT: I should note that one of the articles is pretty poor, seems like they copy and pasted some of it from an earlier article, and didn't update the dates; i.e. talking about March being in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

CatInABox wrote: »
    A couple of articles in the Independent today, both around the traffic problems in Dublin (and around the country). Talking about Luas Cross City, TII are saying that all trams on the Green Line will be extended to full length by the end of next year. Travel times through College Green are down by three to four minutes since opening. Bus journeys, however, are up from 10 minute pre cross city, to 23 minutes post cross city.

See here (Bus journey times double in Dublin congestion), and here (The new commuter hour: peak times increase with record traffic volumes).

EDIT: I should note that one of the articles is pretty poor, seems like they copy and pasted some of it from an earlier article, and didn't update the dates; i.e. talking about March being in the future.

There is only one new article - the one about bus journey times is from February.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

LXFlyer wrote: »
    There is only one new article - the one about bus journey times is from February.

Yeah, they'd screwed up the date on it so it was at the top when I looked at it. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

do they still have the ridiculously low speed limit of 10kmph past college green and surely if pedestrians could cross north - south at the same time as the luas, it would save time?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    do they still have the ridiculously low speed limit of 10kmph past college green and surely if pedestrians could cross north - south at the same time as the luas, it would save time?

Think so but times are down 3-4 minutes I was reading yesterday somewhere.

New timetable next month, not sure if its gone live on the TFI app or anything for both lines and final 2 trams in by end of month.

Just back from Amsterdam and one thing that stuck me is the speed their trams move through built up areas compared to the Luas at Trinity and navigating Charlemont / Harcourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

ronoc wrote: »

Just back from Amsterdam and one thing that stuck me is the speed their trams move through built up areas compared to the Luas at Trinity and navigating Charlemont / Harcourt.

Oh yes - I nearly got a smack of a tram there about 10 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

There seems to be still a long hold up on College Green. I was watching the Leinster R92 game last Saturday evening in Chaplins on Hawkins Street in the window seat and every Luas has to stop for a while to await a Go signal to head onto College Green.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I was on a tram yesterday afternoon which had to suddenly stop by breaking very hard so people fell over in the tram in the same area due to a taxi driver making a last minute swerve across the top of O'Connell Street when it clearly was not safe to do so.

Drifter50 wrote: »
    There seems to be still a long hold up on College Green. I was watching the Leinster R92 game last Saturday evening in Chaplins on Hawkins Street in the window seat and every Luas has to stop for a while to await a Go signal to head onto College Green.

I think the aim is to clear trams through CG when they get clearance, it would be all most impossible to give them a full green before until after CG because of frequency or trams and other traffic.

Saw 20 sign earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I notice at the turn from Nassau St to Grafton St that all the flexi barriers in the centre of the road have been destroyed, so traffic is starting to go too wide on the turn.
    Anyone know who should be contacted re this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Just wondering what the journey times are like and how crowded the LUAS is between Sandyford and Dawson Street these days? I will be travelling normal peak times.

Just wondering what the journey times are like and how crowded the LUAS is between Sandyford and Dawson Street these days? I will be travelling normal peak times.

Its much better now, and journey times are improved, prob only a minute between SSG and Dawson st.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Its much better now, and journey times are improved, prob only a minute between SSG and Dawson st.

I get it every day to Dawson, and it’s more like 2-3 minutes from SSG to Dawson. It’s usually fine, but sometimes you get traffic on Dawson and it can take 4-5 minutes. Everything is fine usually to Dawson though. But this morning I was going further, and the section from Dawson to Westmoreland is a disgrace. Full of taxis sitting on the tracks and the LUAS stuck in traffic. It took 7 minutes to cover this one stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

How come journey times have improved? Do you know what measures they’ve put in place now or is it just less traffic on the roads? Thanks!

Just took it again through college green, all I can say is clearly somebody has completely reset all traffic signals to what was in place on day 1!!

Held by Western (no traffic), OC Bridge, pedestrians no longer allowed to cross Daime st, Abbey junction changed all the usual problems.

Traffic was light enough but somebody needs to explain why they have made the latest mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

devnull wrote: »
    I was on a tram yesterday afternoon which had to suddenly stop by breaking very hard so people fell over in the tram in the same area due to a taxi driver making a last minute swerve across the top of O'Connell Street when it clearly was not safe to do so.

Video from the tram im sure could be given to Gardai if required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

One of the secondary benefits to the Luas cross city was to develop areas of the North inner city, obviously its far too early to have made much of a difference, but with the depot out in Broombridge, I would expect a lot more security and activity in that area in particular, has any regular commuters from there (even passing by on Irish rail) noticed an improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Not aware of any stats but once the development of the derelict land beside the Irish Rail station started, whatever groups of people hung around and were tempted to throw stuff at the trains had to move on.

Whether they’ve found new people to piss off elsewhere or not I don’t know, but been quite a while since I’ve gone through there on a train and had something come through or even hit a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I seen on the train this morning connellys have finished the luas and IR tie in. Very nice and tidy job. I hope irish rail plan to tidy up there two platforms as they still look RAF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

roadmaster wrote: »
    I seen on the train this morning connellys have finished the luas and IR tie in. Very nice and tidy job. I hope irish rail plan to tidy up there two platforms as they still look RAF

Are you talking about the Broombridge platform that connects the train and Luas?

Does anyone have idea when the passenger bridge will open? When I get the train in the morning I change from train to Luas, but it’s a pain in the hole having to take the long way around (over the bridge). I can’t understand what the delay is with opening the passenger walkway

Notice the poorly installed set of crossovers at the SSG spur, the speed restriction in place. Wonder if they plan to address the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Not aware of any stats but once the development of the derelict land beside the Irish Rail station started, whatever groups of people hung around and were tempted to throw stuff at the trains had to move on.

Whether they’ve found new people to piss off elsewhere or not I don’t know, but been quite a while since I’ve gone through there on a train and had something come through or even hit a window.

Want a waste of tax payers money these people are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

So after all the media scaremongering a couple of months ago all appears to be rosy in the garden.

Looks like a complehe signal failure at Trinity entrance today. 9 minutes to clear trams at the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

with the sheer amount of office , hotel, student accomodation and to a lesser extent, residential construction going on. Are there quick fixes they will be able to do, to up system capacity, before or IF we every get metro link? Id say it will be under massive strain again come the autumn...

like turning half them around at SSG that come in from the southside? giving them absolute priority at everything other than crucial junctions etc? increasing the city centre speed limits they can travel at...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

with the sheer amount of office , hotel, student accomodation and to a lesser extent, residential construction going on. Are there quick fixes they will be able to do, to up system capacity, before or IF we every get metro link? Id say it will be under massive strain again come the autumn...

like turning half them around at SSG that come in from the southside? giving them absolute priority at everything other than crucial junctions etc? increasing the city centre speed limits they can travel at...

Well the 7 new 55m trams should now be in operation and they are the main approach to increasing capacity. I believe there is also talk of extending some of the older trams to 55m too.

Of course having actual real enforcement at junctions in the city center might help too, but realistically Luas really is reaching the max of what can be achieved with it.

Advertisement