Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City (Line BX/D) [now open]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

bk wrote: »
    Well the 7 new 55m trams should now be in operation and they are the main approach to increasing capacity. I believe there is also talk of extending some of the older trams to 55m too.

All of the other 26 trams on the Green Line are being extended to 55m.

In addition there are 8 more trams on order.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

bk wrote: »
    Of course having actual real enforcement at junctions in the city center might help too, but realistically Luas really is reaching the max of what can be achieved with it.

The NTA are aware of the lack of enforcement when it comes to junctions and bus lanes, and recently said that this was going to be a legislative problem. Presumably this means they'll ask the government to look at it.

Now, I only read that the other day, but I've no idea where now. S***e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

devnull wrote: »
    All of the other 26 trams on the Green Line are being extended to 55m.

In addition there are 8 more trams on order.

When were the extra 8 ordered?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the worse the overcrowding becomes, the more they will be forced to actually do something, like introduce a realistic capacity metro out to swords etc and upgrading the green line.The last thing we need is another recession sinking the plans and those idiots, morons, telling us, that the bus will do the job, which is easily believable in banana republic! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    When were the extra 8 ordered?

At the same time that the order was placed to lengthen the existing trams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the worse the overcrowding becomes, the more they will be forced to actually do something, like introduce a realistic capacity metro out to swords etc and upgrading the green line.The last thing we need is another recession sinking the plans and those idiots, morons, telling us, that the bus will do the job, which is easily believable in banana republic! :rolleyes:

We'll have to wait for the Metro to be given a railway order first.

devnull wrote: »
    At the same time that the order was placed to lengthen the existing trams.

I completely missed that info of the extra 8, any idea when they are due to arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Well ABP are making a decision on college green shortly which will mean a green light for closing the green to east-west traffic and making Parliament st a bus only street

The changes will mean a car ban on Bachelors walk, Aston Quay and George's street. All of which has to be in place before the bus connects change over next year.

How this might be enforced is another issue, a camera based solution is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If Parliament St goes bus only does that mean Capel St will too? Or are northbound buses from Parliament St going to cross the bridge and turn right onto the quays?

The plan is for them to turn right onto the quays.

My personal preference would be for Capel St to become a 2 way bus only street which would allow some routes a faster trip through the City Centre and relieve the congestion we're going to face when every N-S bus spine in Dublin goes through O'Connell st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah Capel St is crying out for an upgrade and making it buses only would facilitate that. But I doubt DCC will allow that that to happen easily, they must have 100+ car parking spaces along Capel St that would have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

cgcsb wrote: »
    The plan is for them to turn right onto the quays.

My personal preference would be for Capel St to become a 2 way bus only street which would allow some routes a faster trip through the City Centre and relieve the congestion we're going to face when every N-S bus spine in Dublin goes through O'Connell st.

E and F Spines will use O'Connell Street. A will use Gardiner Street. B, C and D will used the quays. G will go down Dame Street, and terminate before the proposed College Greeen Plaza.

jd wrote: »
    E and F Spines will use O'Connell Street. A will use Gardiner Street. B, C and D will used the quays. G will go down Dame Street, and terminate before the proposed College Greeen Plaza.

Not strictly true, A, B, C and D will all share the quays between Capel St and Customs House. That means a bus every couple of seconds, manageable, assuming you have an effective management system in place and enough restrictions on cars. There's potential for bus congestion though. Diverting A via capel st would improve access to western parts of the city centre and relive some of the pressure on the quays. Likewise E could use Church St. It'd mean a lot more km of bus lanes but that's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,558 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you look at the NTA infrastructure plans, the C spine predecessor routes were shown as going up Mount Brown and Thomas Street not the Quays once bus priority measures had been done

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kevtherev1

I went up earlier today on the luas to Broombridge. All the construction and refurbishment of Broombridge rail station is now completed and open.

A really great job has been done, the new pedestrian rail bridge is open with lifts. New paths and landscaped foliage just growing. It looks great, leap card validators also now available at station for jumping on the IR trains. Very easy and quick now to transfer between Luas and Irish Rail. Check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 68,558 ✭✭✭✭L1011

People are beginning to interchange more and more at Broombridge but some trains, M3 Parkway services particularly, are at crush loading when they get there. Ten or so people were having to force themselves onboard one there. This massively compromises the usability of the service.

The Maynooth line isn't likely to get the bulk of the stock released when the 2700s come back but it could probably use all of it and more. Electrification tenders and the hybrid tender have to go out this year. You'd think it'd be coming up as a serious issue for the Taoiseach on home ground at this stage.

I still believe that the transport authorities missed a golden opportunity at the start of this build.
    They should have reopened Broadstone Railway station and have the Luas terminus in front of the station, trains from the north and west then would have terminated at a station that was connected to the city via a tram line.
    This would have eased congestion on the east coast lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I still believe that the transport authorities missed a golden opportunity at the start of this build.
    They should have reopened Broadstone Railway station and have the Luas terminus in front of the station, trains from the north and west then would have terminated at a station that was connected to the city via a tram line.
    This would have eased congestion on the east coast lines.

Your idea would mean that the proposed LUAS to Finglas wouldn’t be possible and would remove the ability to connect directly at Connolly with other rail services.

The vast majority of trains serve Broombridge which means that the connection with LUAS is already made.

Frankly I don’t really see the merit in it - it would restrict connectivity even more.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Your idea would mean that the proposed LUAS to Finglas wouldn’t be possible and would remove the ability to connect directly at Connolly with other rail services.

The vast majority of trains serve Broombridge which means that the connection with LUAS is already made.

Frankly I don’t really see the merit in it - it would restrict connectivity even more.

Not at all, you just send the tram line up the R108 straight up to the Airport via Ballymun. As for other connecting services, simply change at one of the commuter stations west of Broombridge or at Broombriodge.

My suggestion would relieve Connoly of much of the congestion by using Broadstone as a terminus for some of the traffic from the west, including Galway & Westport/Ballina if the Athlone to Mullingar line is reinstated. Commuters can change at Athlone if they want Heuston or Broadstone/Connelly.

Try not to be too blinkered in your view of what is possible and what is not possible due to excessive constraints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Not at all, you just send the tram line up the R108 straight up to the Airport via Ballymun. As for other connecting services, simply change at one of the commuter stations west of Broombridge or at Broombriodge.

My suggestion would relieve Connoly of much of the congestion by using Broadstone as a terminus for some of the traffic from the west, including Galway & Westport/Ballina if the Athlone to Mullingar line is reinstated. Commuters can change at Athlone if they want Heuston or Broadstone/Connelly.

Try not to be too blinkered in your view of what is possible and what is not possible due to excessive constraints.

I don't see any merit in your idea. The capacity issue in Connolly is mostly to do with the congestion on the Northern Line and the Loopline Bridge and is not to do with the capacity being taken up by the Sligo trains.

As for the Athlone to Mullingar line being reopened not gonna happen. It would be a silly move to do so as Galway trains would be slowed down running on the Maynooth line which would be idiotic, if the line was to be electrified as far as Maynooth you'd just be creating the exact same situation which happens on the Northern Line where Commuter, Intercity and Dart services all slow each other down which would be solved by four tracking.

You'd also be cutting DIT Grangegorman, Phibsboro and Cabra off from Luas services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

How is the morning rush hour connection from the clonsilla line working out to broombridge ? I havent used this in years. Used to be jammed in the morning and evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

How is the morning rush hour connection from the clonsilla line working out to broombridge ? I havent used this in years. Used to be jammed in the morning and evening

Opened one year ago today.

Irish Times report Green Line revenue up 30% and Red up 7%. Of course nothing on costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Opened one year ago today.

Irish Times report Green Line revenue up 30% and Red up 7%. Of course nothing on costs.

I noticed it said passenger numbers have reached 10m for the first time...? That sounds very wrong unless I’m reading it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Qrt wrote: »
    I noticed it said passenger numbers have reached 10m for the first time...? That sounds very wrong unless I’m reading it wrong.

I think she means just for the second quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I've been following the IT coverage of the Cross City anniversary and, overall, it's quite negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Well, if gentrification as listed in the Irish Times article below is one of the biggest fears that residents of Cabra have, then the arrival of Luas services to the area can't be too much of an issue.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/luas-cross-city-brings-fresh-challenges-to-cabra-1.3725518

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

AngryLips wrote: »
    I've been following the IT coverage of the Cross City anniversary and, overall, it's quite negative.

Yeah. I gave up on the IT when The Times Ireland Edition went into print.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,303 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

AngryLips wrote: »

Is it unreasonable to suggest there have been negatives?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Is it unreasonable to suggest there have been negatives?
    Well I was under the impression that back in the Transport21 days, Luas BXD (well the city centre part at least) was devised as an ancilliary service to complement Metro North. Instead it has been built on its own cos it had a smaller price tag, with no consideration given to the job it was being given.

Totally unsurprising result.

Advertisement